Digital Art Zone

1 of 54
Heroes, Heroines and 3D Graphics - July Freebie Contest
Posted: 30 June 2012 09:06 PM   [ Ignore ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1422
Joined  2010-03-01

Welcome everybody to the July Freebie Challenge - Heroes, Heroines and 3D Graphics

While trolling through the DAZ forum, I have learned that there are many artists that use DAZ, Poser, Blender, Vue, etc. for creating comic graphics and telling stories. In the freebie world there are shaders, characters, clothing, and objects made specifically for creating your favorite comic hero, or heroine, or cartoon character.

This month I would like you all to render a “comic” page or scene. It must contain an action or set of actions. This can be as simple as holding a gun to as complex as blowing up a building. You will be required to use toon or artistic shaders (at least 80% of the scene) or use the render engine option for cartoons. Flattening or outlining in postwork is expressly forbidden.

Since I am not really familiar with comics I have asked Eustace Scrubb to chime in and bail me out with tough questions and how-tos. He also has been most kind in helping me with developing the outline of how this month’s contest will be conducted.

Throughout the first part of the month I will be creating scenes using the same requirements that are stipulated in this post to give you ideas and sources that I have found or that Eustace has pointed out.

The Rules:
1. Use a minimum of 8 freebies. One of these must be from Most Digital Creations. Free render engines are not a part of the required number of freebies.
2. Only use a maximum of 5 purchased items for the whole project.
3. Base figures (V4, K4, M4 and the Basic Male, Female, and Child morphs for Genesis) don’t count as a purchased item.
4. Postwork on scenes is limited to insertion of conversation balloons, signatures and borders. If you create a page with multiple scenes then postwork to compile the page layout is allowed. Use of Comic Life for this type of work is allowed for this month. You get a free trail usage of 30 days.
5. For setting up your scene you must use Bryce, Hexagon, Blender, Poser or DAZ. You can use any free render engine such as LUX to render the scene or the default engines of Bryce, Hexagon, Blender, Poser or DAZ. Other free renderers include, but are not limited to, Anim8or (the latest beta has a raytrace engine), POVRay, 3Delight standalone, or anything else the contestant can achieve the requisite comic-novel effect in without spending money on it. Free software used (bridges or renderers) do not count toward the requisite eight freebies.
6. Morphs will count toward a purchased item. Using a bridging tool, such as Reality to port the DAZ scene to Lux, counts towards a purchased item.
7. For an item to be considered free it must be offered as a freebie for the whole month of July. DAZ weekly freebies for the month can also be credited.
8. All links to freebies must work, and all freebies must be clearly seen to be accepted.
9. Enter as many times as you want.
10. This is a “G/PG” rated contest so DAZ TOU is strictly enforced. Dress your characters appropriately and no gruesomeness, i.e. spilling of guts, chopping off heads and such. Remember there are children that actively participate in the contest.
11. Because of the nature of the contest please, please be careful with copyright. If your render looks too much like Superman (or any other commercially recognized character), your render will be disqualified.
12. State the title of the piece, what software you used for setup, bridging/exporting (if any) and rendering (including shaders), and identify your 8 or more qualifying freebies with links to the freebies.

We will start on 1ST July - 00.01 DAZ time, and end 31 July 23.59

I am also looking for one more judge.
Judges:
Lord Ganthor
Robkelk
DollyGirl
???????

For my judges and contestants here are additional guidelines:

How did the piece convince me that it’s from a Graphic Novel or a Comic Book,
Do I see both interplay between the elements and environment,
Is there trans-continuity: who are these people and what is this place? Where did they come from and where are they going from here?

These three elements can be effectively conveyed in a single image or two, even without narrative or dialogue, but they absolutely must be intentional. There doesn’t have to be much visible background or environment at all, or not in every frame. It just has to belong if it is there. Example, yet another sky-high fistfight could as easily occur over the city as over open water or farmland, but someone falling is falling from something and to someplace, even if she’s still above the clouds. If something is indoors, there is a reason for it to be indoors, and in the room or corridor it is in. If it is outdoors, it is in the country or in the city, at ground level or at height (also applies, to a lesser degree, to views from windows if any) for a reason. As to the “trans-continuity”, the questions don’t need to be answered by the picture, they merely need to be asked, implied. The answers to the questions need only be implied, one only needs to know that there is one. Also, the “Picture is worth a thousand words” cliché is at full validity here. The less dialogue and/or narration needed to convey the scene(s), the better.

Sponsors:
plasq
Music2u4u
joequick
The AntFarm
3D Universe
Eustace Scrubb
LJ Studios

Prizes: More to be anounced later

Everyone who enters:
LJ Studios Blinn Shaders for DAZ Studio. This file is password protected. I will PM you the password at the time your entry is accepted.

First Place:
Comic Life 2 and Comic Life for iPad
Any product from The AntFarm DAZ store
3dUniverse Toon Cow
Beta version of Eustace Scrubb’s Mephistopolis Shaders for DS4

Second Place:
Comic Life 2 desktop license

Thrid Place:
Comic Life 2 desktop license

Honorable Mentions:

$5.00 DAZ Store Credit given by LJ Studios

Let the stories begin!
Edited 7/11/2012 to add Comic Life link in rules and state that there is a 30 day free trial available.
Edited 7/13/2012 to add Judges to list before I forget who they are.

Posted: 30 June 2012 09:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-01

So to kick off this event I have some things for you to consider the first one is:
Not An Entry (NAE) An example of taking a scene and using the toon render option in DAZ Studio 3 Advanced. This entry also points you to my first freebie, mat poses for Adam’s Hmmm for V4+M4 prop. See item 18.

Today, is a Good Day - Dejah Thoris wiping out a band of Green Men
1. *Orc Blood
2. *Orc
3. *Fennjas Rocks
4. *PD-X14
5. *Isis System
6. *V4]http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=56757]V4 Pearls[/url]
7. *MW Art Lights
8. *Character A_Cara
9. *eye texture Nanami
10. *Pose Ravens dead poses
11. Rocky  14th down
12. Cliff Face  19th down
13. Porsimo Morphing Ground 1  2nd one down
14. *Chrome Shaders
15. Cedar tree
16. *skydome
17. Hmmm for V4+M4 by Most Digital Creations. 8th down
18. More Hmmm for V4+M4 by LJ Studios[/url]
* means a registered site

Rendered in DAZ Studio 3.1A. Post work in Paint Shop Pro for signature and size.

Uncounted Victoria 4 and V4 Morphs++

Used but no longer available:
Aery Soul Hanyma Scenery
Pose Aery Soul
Aery Soul Big Rock
Staligmites from Dragon’s Lair
Troll Axe
Spear from KhyaThua
David’s Fantasy props TriBlade
Questor Knives
Questor Swords
Creeper Drool
Sooth Slayer
Autumn Shrubs

Paid item LIE Gore-dom http://www.daz3d.com/i/shop/itemdetails/?item=10543

Image Attachments
Render01.jpg

Posted: 30 June 2012 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-01

A note of apology to our fellow Poser users and a request. Due to my getting Poser only a month ago I was not able to really find some cool effects for comic scenes that Poser would use. Because of this all of the examples are for DAZ Studio. I do apologize to my fellow Poser users for this. My request is that if you know of an equivalent process for Poser of my DAZ example you jump right in and tell us about it. Like I said I have had Poser for only a month and there are lots of things to learn from this tool so I am really really interested in finding out about the different options available to Poser users. For you Brycer’s, all I can say is that I am even less adept at using this software than I am Poser. I just learned about the Library. So that should tell you how far I got in creating a scene in Bryce. Thanks guys in advanced.

Posted: 30 June 2012 09:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1073
Joined  2003-11-24

looks like it’s going to be a fun month Dollygirl,

Signature 

old post count 2826   ETO and all around crazy person

Posted: 30 June 2012 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-01
jeeperz - 30 June 2012 09:25 PM

looks like it’s going to be a fun month Dollygirl,

I hope you do have a fun time. I have a few things up my sleeve.

Posted: 30 June 2012 11:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  184
Joined  0

This will be fun but I AM going to miss the sketch engine in Poser downer

Posted: 01 July 2012 01:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  586
Joined  2006-08-11

OOh great theme DollyGirl!

Posted: 01 July 2012 04:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-01

Well maybe there will be something else that will replace the sketch option. There is more to come, Oom.

Thanks Krissy. I was hoping people would like the challenge.

Posted: 01 July 2012 04:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-08-11
Dollygirl - 01 July 2012 04:06 AM

Well maybe there will be something else that will replace the sketch option. There is more to come, Oom.

I really like it… I am going to do some Thorgal inspired renders .. Yayy!!!..
Is it ok, to use only toon outline option in poser instead of shader?? And is poser 9 OK ??
Here is a quicky with it wink

Edited to replace an image with a smaller version (and without the ground showing)

Image Attachments
toon1.jpg

Posted: 01 July 2012 06:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2283
Joined  2006-01-19

Not An Entry (NAE)

for the braves, the Indiana Jones of free rendering

( meaning people with lots of hours to spend on this )

there’s a free renderer for Blender named “Freestyle

which was used to get this toony’esque render

The scene (Aiko3) was set up in Daz Studio 3

and transfered to Blender using mcjTeleBlender

i’ll probably use it for my entry smile

Image Attachments
toontest.jpg

Posted: 01 July 2012 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  184
Joined  0

A fast start in B&W and I was quickly reminded how hard it is to find hair that look good with toon shaders.
The hardest part was deciding on what text line to use wink

Title: ‘Scuse Me

Robot: Robby The Robot *2011 Update* by MatrixWorkz.  Registration required
Woman
Trousers: Genesis Jeans by Wilmap.  Registration required
Shoes: Genesis Shoes by Wilmap.  Registration required
Shirt: Sickle Snug Tank Genesis by SickleYield.  Registration required
Hair: Sandra’s Hair by Gerald Day. Go to ””Free Downloads”, press CTRL+F, enter ”sandra” in search feild.
Bag: paperBag by ajfukuda.  Registration required

Girl:
Dress: Genesis Frilled Dress by Wilmap.  Registration required
Hair: dIGITALISTA’s 40th Style Hair by digitalista.  Registration required

Buildings: Skyline by AdamThwaites. Item required for this Challenge
Text bubble: Free Hmmm for V4+M4 by AdamThwaites. 8 down. Item required for this Challenge
Bubble texture: Mat files for Adam’s Hmmm prop by Dolly Girl.

No count:
Text added with the script: mcjLabelizer by mCasual .
that use: ImageMagic by ImageMagick Studio .
Genesis with Basic Female, and Child morphs

Shaders based on DS4 Shader Mixer Toon preset but severely modified.
Scene built and rendered in DS4.0 pro.
Postwork: None, just to see if I could.

Cheers! Oom

Edit:
Some of the clothing was not that well visible so I have tweaked the shaders a bit and done a new rendered, as usual.

Image Attachments
ScuseMe2.jpg

Posted: 01 July 2012 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1073
Joined  2003-11-24
Oom Fooyat - 01 July 2012 08:43 AM

A fast start in B&W and I was quickly reminded how hard it is to find hair that look good with toon shaders.
The hardest part was deciding on what text line to use wink

Title: ‘Scuse Me

Robot: Robby The Robot *2011 Update* by MatrixWorkz.  Registration required
Woman
Trousers: Genesis Jeans by Wilmap.  Registration required
Shoes: Genesis Shoes by Wilmap.  Registration required
Shirt: Sickle Snug Tank Genesis by SickleYield.  Registration required
Hair: Sandra’s Hair by Gerald Day. Go to ””Free Downloads”, press CTRL+F, enter ”sandra” in search feild.
Bag: paperBag by ajfukuda.  Registration required

Girl:
Dress: Genesis Frilled Dress by Wilmap.  Registration required
Hair: dIGITALISTA’s 40th Style Hair by digitalista.  Registration required

Buildings: Skyline by AdamThwaites. Item required for this Challenge
Text bubble: Free Hmmm for V4+M4 by AdamThwaites. 8 down. Item required for this Challenge
Bubble texture: Mat files for Adam’s Hmmm prop by Dolly Girl.

No count:
Text added with the script: mcjLabelizer by mCasual .
that use: ImageMagic by ImageMagick Studio .
Genesis with Basic Female, and Child morphs

Shaders based on DS4 Shader Mixer Toon preset but severely modified.
Scene built and rendered in DS4.0 pro.
Postwork: None, just to see if I could.

Cheers! Oom

nice Oom, love Robbie the robot

Signature 

old post count 2826   ETO and all around crazy person

Posted: 01 July 2012 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2012-02-07
Dollygirl - 30 June 2012 09:06 PM

You will be required to use toon or artistic shaders (at least 80% of the scene) or use the render engine option for cartoons.

While technically I’m looking forward to this contest, the above worries me somewhat.  Might default to requiring one paid item for me.

Signature 

Black is Beautiful II - a repository of links and rendering tips for darker skinned characters

Posted: 01 July 2012 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-08-11

I found the option in poser!

In material room there is the “Set up Toon Render” option, which gives toon shader, only has to be modified a bit

Here are two renders, one without outline and one with outline, as you can see outline do not work good with transmapped objects

Image Attachments
toon_no_line.jpg
toon_with_line.jpg

Posted: 01 July 2012 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-01
Krissy - 01 July 2012 04:16 AM
Dollygirl - 01 July 2012 04:06 AM

I really like it… I am going to do some Thorgal inspired renders .. Yayy!!!..
Is it ok, to use only toon outline option in poser instead of shader?? And is poser 9 OK ??
Here is a quicky with it wink

Edited to replace an image with a smaller version (and without the ground showing)

Yes Krissy you can use the toon option in Poser and the render will qualify and yes Poser 9 is acceptable.

Posted: 01 July 2012 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-01
Casual - 01 July 2012 06:49 AM

Not An Entry (NAE)

for the braves, the Indiana Jones of free rendering

( meaning people with lots of hours to spend on this )

there’s a free renderer for Blender named “Freestyle

which was used to get this toony’esque render

The scene (Aiko3) was set up in Daz Studio 3

and transfered to Blender using mcjTeleBlender

i’ll probably use it for my entry smile

Thank you Causal for the tip. You have some awesome scripts and I see below that Oom has used another one of them.

1 of 54