Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Posing in Carrara
Posted: 30 October 2013 06:30 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  684
Joined  2012-01-18

is it possible in Carrara to really pin feet to the ground so they don’t move?
or do you have only the same posingtools as Studio has?

Signature 

my Gallery
http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/544

Posted: 30 October 2013 07:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1639
Joined  0
ruphuss - 30 October 2013 06:30 AM

is it possible in Carrara to really pin feet to the ground so they don’t move?
or do you have only the same posingtools as Studio has?

You want to add a target helper object and pin the feet (or ankle) with the built-in IK chain in the figure’s legs.

That may get you started on a tutorial search, or you may want to wait for a more detailed explanation.

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 30 October 2013 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6479
Joined  2007-12-04

There’s a really great tutorial and setup kit available for Genesis. You’ll need to have an account at ShareCG to download it - Free, and totally worth it!
Carrara Helper and Modifiers for Genesis by fabaone

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 30 October 2013 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-01-18

thx for trying to help
but thats not answering my question
can i just with the program or do i need Workarounds
has Carrara posing tools of its own that can do that
with a just working pinningfunction ?

Signature 

my Gallery

Posted: 30 October 2013 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0

yes you can.

Signature 

Posted: 30 October 2013 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-01-18

thx to holly
if there were any Trial for Carrara i could find out for myself

Signature 

my Gallery

Posted: 30 October 2013 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0
ruphuss - 30 October 2013 03:21 PM

thx to holly
if there were any Trial for Carrara i could find out for myself

Google is your friend. I’m sorry I cannot be more specific right now, I am at work and cannot spend time searching for you, but this came up in seconds upon the search “Carrara trial download”.
http://download.cnet.com/Carrara-8-Pro/3000-6677_4-10782148.html

Signature 

Posted: 30 October 2013 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6185
Joined  2006-08-27
ruphuss - 30 October 2013 02:59 PM

thx for trying to help
but thats not answering my question
can i just with the program or do i need Workarounds
has Carrara posing tools of its own that can do that
with a just working pinningfunction ?

Target helpers aren’t a work around- It’s what they’re there for, among many other functions they can help with.

The file Dart referred you to just has the targets already set up for you as far as I can tell.

As far as I know, there is no pin foot to ground command, button or widget.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 30 October 2013 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
Dartanbeck - 30 October 2013 11:48 AM

There’s a really great tutorial and setup kit available for Genesis. You’ll need to have an account at ShareCG to download it - Free, and totally worth it!
Carrara Helper and Modifiers for Genesis by fabaone

This is exactly what you’re looking for. I’m tellin’ ya!
Even if you’re not using Genesis, faba is an expert and made a brilliant tutorial. Sorry if I made it sound confusing.

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 30 October 2013 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

You know, we could really use a good, step-by-step tutorial on this. When I posted that link to faba’s sweet kit, I did so because it produces immediate results. But there may still be some mysticism as to what’s really going on. There are many more great uses for this method of setup - beyond what I know on the subject, which is currently (embarrassingly) little. I have survived all of my animation efforts rotating each joint to my liking - with no help from pinning or taking advantage of kinematics. I cannot express enough how pleased I am that Carrara has been a dream in this regard - having such an excellent amount of control. I try animating in such a way in other convenient pose-and-render applications, and can barely wait to get out and back into Carrara.

faba’s kit from ShareCG gives a pdf of how to set it up from the tools that she has already made. You get the target helpers and modifiers all waiting in the browser to drag onto your figure, according to her simple procedure. When done, you simply follow her final instructions on the correct methods of moving the figure and helpers - and you’re working with a beautiful setup, feet pinned to their spot.

Signature 

Posted: 31 October 2013 01:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-01-18

@holly

Google is your friend. I’m sorry I cannot be more specific right now, I am at work and cannot spend time searching for you, but this came up in seconds upon the search “Carrara trial download”.

i did try that a week ago but says “Trial expired”
you cant get it to work

Signature 

my Gallery

Posted: 31 October 2013 04:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17150
Joined  2003-10-09

There is currently no trial version of Carrara.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 31 October 2013 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0
ruphuss - 31 October 2013 01:36 AM

“Trial expired”
you cant get it to work

oh :( sorry about that.

I know I have seen this as a specific tutorial, but I could not find it on Youtube so maybe it was not a video… There were some videos that showed IK in Carrara, but I am not sure they illustrate specifically what you want. Suggest you try a serach for “inverse kinematics carrara” on youtube, there are at least 3 that show IK in action, but I do not know if they show the setup….
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sxMmZiVWyU

A search in the old DAZ forum archive suggests there was a video by Sub7nth showing exactly this (target helper used to lock ankles/feet), but his website seems to be neglected. Maybe this discussion is still useful

http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=1851757#1851757

Signature 

Posted: 01 November 2013 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  262
Joined  2010-07-08

Perhaps someone would be willing to post some screen shots (not renders, let’s see the actual tools) of a Genesis character being posed in Carrara 8.5.  Please make it an original, real pose (I’ve gotten ideas from books on 2d animation when working in Blender), not some preset.  If we wanted to use presets, we’d just as soon use DS.

Posted: 01 November 2013 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6185
Joined  2006-08-27
daveleitz68 - 01 November 2013 10:17 AM

Perhaps someone would be willing to post some screen shots (not renders, let’s see the actual tools) of a Genesis character being posed in Carrara 8.5.  Please make it an original, real pose (I’ve gotten ideas from books on 2d animation when working in Blender), not some preset.  If we wanted to use presets, we’d just as soon use DS.

Who is “we?” wink

What tools are you unsure of? The manipulators? Things that can aid in the posing process such as Target helpers and tracking modifiers? I know what an original pose is, but what’s your definition of a “real” pose.

I ask, because I don’t wish to take your response in the wrong way. At first glance it appears there is a bit of a antagonistic “prove it” vibe. Then you follow your comments with a bit of a diss at DAZ Studio. I don’t use D/S, but there are those that use Carrara that also use D/S, so please be respectful. Hell, I know people that use the latest Lightwave and also use Carrara because for certain things, it’s either easier to use or gives better results.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 01 November 2013 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  262
Joined  2010-07-08

Hi evilproducer,

Sorry, no disrespect intended.  It’s the Royal ‘We’, btw.  wink  Ok, I’m just bad at picking my pronouns from time to time.

I’m just at a bit of a crossroads here.  I’ve got all this great content for DAZ Studio, but as per a thread in the Commons forum, it seems to lack a usable FK/IK.  So, in my humble opinion, posing in DAZ Studio sux.  I do use the pre-made poses all the time.  Otherwise, the clunky controls and long lists of parameter dials are not conducive to fun or production, thus making me cranky.  (I make myself cranky, so I do take responsibility for any crankyness that I express.  wink )

I want to get more creative with the marvelous Genesis character, but DAZ Studio is holding me back.  I’ve even considered exporting morphed characters into Blender and rigging and weight painting and shape keying and somehow getting all the hair and clothes and accessories to work…. No.  No no no!

I tried the trial to Carrara 8.  I couldn’t get my DAZ content in it.  And there is no v8.5 demo.  How do I know if I want to buy it?  I need some kind of evidence that maybe, just maybe, it can do real posing (as opposed to vendor supplied) with my Genesis characters.

1 of 2