Digital Art Zone

3 of 7
I am done with Hexagon - any alternatives?
Posted: 29 October 2013 11:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4770
Joined  2004-07-01
Patience55 - 29 October 2013 07:42 PM
Vaskania - 29 October 2013 07:29 PM
Patience55 - 29 October 2013 07:09 PM
bigh - 29 October 2013 05:57 PM
XoechZ - 29 October 2013 02:37 PM

Thanks for the info!

I can´t afford it in the moment, but it´s not long until Christmas. We will see grin
Just too bad that there is no trial or demo of ZBrush available. I would really like to test it out.

there is a 30 day trial .

where?

There is no actual Zbrush trial. They stopped doing trials and took them down like a year or so ago.

That’s what I thought too. Was hoping maybe they’d reinstated it.

wow - that was a shock - they been doing trial like for ever and they jack up
the price .

Posted: 30 October 2013 06:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  802
Joined  2011-08-05
Roygee - 29 October 2013 06:53 AM

smile
Then simply Google something like “polygonal modeling rules” - I got 1.67 million results - the links on just the first page should keep you occupied for a while:)

http://lightwiki.com/wiki/Fundamentals_of_Subpatch_Modeling

Not on the first page, but the most useful and interesting article I have found so far. I thought I share it for those who dont know it. The software used there is Lightwave, but that does not matter at all. It covers everything from the basics to really complex modeling tasks.

Posted: 30 October 2013 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5054
Joined  2012-04-07
XoechZ - 30 October 2013 06:23 AM
Roygee - 29 October 2013 06:53 AM

smile
Then simply Google something like “polygonal modeling rules” - I got 1.67 million results - the links on just the first page should keep you occupied for a while:)

http://lightwiki.com/wiki/Fundamentals_of_Subpatch_Modeling

Not on the first page, but the most useful and interesting article I have found so far. I thought I share it for those who dont know it. The software used there is Lightwave, but that does not matter at all. It covers everything from the basics to really complex modeling tasks.

Thanks grin

Signature 

Posted: 09 December 2013 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  60
Joined  2005-02-08

I have both Hex 2.0 and Hex 2.5 installed on my I5-2500K Windows 7 64 bit machine.
I find Hex 2.0 much more stable than 2.5 and both have the same preference settings for 3D display…

Anyone else have the same experience?

Posted: 09 December 2013 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-04-07
kenmo - 09 December 2013 09:25 AM

I have both Hex 2.0 and Hex 2.5 installed on my I5-2500K Windows 7 64 bit machine.
I find Hex 2.0 much more stable than 2.5 and both have the same preference settings for 3D display…

As we were told not to install both programs on the same computer because they have different engines or something, and the one offers to uninstall the other if I recall correctly, How did you manage that?

2.0 is more stable but doesn’t have the bridge for D/S4.x.

Signature 

Posted: 09 December 2013 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  202
Joined  2003-10-09

Personally I prefer the 2.1 version. That was the last update from Eovia before Daz started to mess around with it. Tried the 2.5 once but it was literally a piece of crap since it added more bugs then it fixed, and it crashed constantly when using it.
I don’t have any need for the DS bridge or the sculpy thing that’s in the newer versions anyway since I work only with Poser.

Signature 

Renderosity. http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=29771

Rendo Freebies. http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/index.php?username=ghostman

RDNA http://www.runtimedna.com/Ghostman/

Posted: 09 December 2013 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-04-07

Yes I think I got my 2.x versions mixed up. It’s the latest release BEFORE this present release that is more stable ... I have it on another computer atm. If I really want to model a long project it’s the only one that might handle it. What gets me is that the betas, I think it was 2 back were an improvement. Then ? changed and the last 2 betas, one of which became the present release were more unstable for quite a few people. Not everybody though so it could be a hardware issue but still, one needs to program programs to work with available hardware. Just my 2 cents. But the 2.5 bridge for morphing, and for making new uvmaps etc [new trick I learned] works beautifully for those who are using it with D/S. I try not to be too negative about it, other 3D modelers can also be crash prone under certain circumstances [and I’ve even crashed Max!].

Signature 

Posted: 09 December 2013 10:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1371
Joined  2008-01-01

Maybe I’m just lucky, but been using 2.5.1.7.9 since it came out, without problems.  Always thought it was a combination of an old fart using old technology when running an old single-core PC using Win XP 32 bit.  I now run it on an i-5, 64 bit Win7 - still no problems at all and it is all on max performance.

Here is a WIP of my most ambitious and biggest project - a very detailed model of the Cutty Sark - been working on it for the past month, without any crashes. Haven’t counted, but it has well over 100 separate meshes

I think that most of the problems folk report are caused by pilot error - especially N-gons.  Hex is just not very good at catching errors and will freak out when given something it wasn’t meant to handle.

Image Attachments
CuttySark.jpg

Posted: 10 December 2013 02:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  287
Joined  2009-08-21

Ottimo lavoro “Roy”.
Aspettiamo buon (good) render and Gallery.
Ciao.
grin

Signature 

“Il principio della scienza della pittura è il punto, il secondo è la linea, il terzo è la superficie, il quarto è il corpo che si veste di tal superficie”
Leonardo da Vinci

Posted: 10 December 2013 05:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-02-08
Patience55 - 09 December 2013 12:39 PM
kenmo - 09 December 2013 09:25 AM

As we were told not to install both programs on the same computer because they have different engines or something, and the one offers to uninstall the other if I recall correctly, How did you manage that?

2.0 is more stable but doesn’t have the bridge for D/S4.x.

I did a fresh install of Windows 7 64 bit. I installed all my toys (ArtRage, Daz3D, PoserPro, Painter Lite, Photoshop Elements, Vue Complete, 3DCoat, etc) and installed Hexagon 2.5.

I started to do some modeling in Hex 2.5 but it crashed consistently. I than found my old copy of Hex 2.0 and installed it. It’s still unstable but I can work with Hex 2.0. But not Hex 2.5…

Are there any plans for Hex 3.0 or even some updates? I love Hex but not the instability…

Posted: 10 December 2013 05:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-02-08
Roygee - 09 December 2013 10:45 PM

Maybe I’m just lucky, but been using 2.5.1.7.9 since it came out, without problems.  Always thought it was a combination of an old fart using old technology when running an old single-core PC using Win XP 32 bit.  I now run it on an i-5, 64 bit Win7 - still no problems at all and it is all on max performance.

Here is a WIP of my most ambitious and biggest project - a very detailed model of the Cutty Sark - been working on it for the past month, without any crashes. Haven’t counted, but it has well over 100 separate meshes

I think that most of the problems folk report are caused by pilot error - especially N-gons.  Hex is just not very good at catching errors and will freak out when given something it wasn’t meant to handle.

Very nice model…

Posted: 10 December 2013 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2013-09-11

Maybe I’m just lucky, but been using 2.5.1.7.9 since it came out, without problems.  Always thought it was a combination of an old fart using old technology when running an old single-core PC using Win XP 32 bit.

LOL I love that!!! Made me laugh out loud! Sounds exactly like me, although….ahemh….I wouldn’t call myself an old fart….just a bit long in the tooth, ya might say…  wink

I now run it on an i-5, 64 bit Win7 - still no problems at all and it is all on max performance.

(respectfully snipped)

I am one of those who grabbed Hex 2.5.1.7.9 when it was offered free. Can’t do anything with it b/c every time I get something going, it crashes. I was going to ask here whether I could maybe move the program over to my 4-quad laptop?....but now I wonder whether it would be worth it… In general it doesn’t look that hard to master, easier than Blender… A friend of mine (much more talented than i) uses Wings 3D along with Bryce and has beautiful results. I have Wings also, but can’t use it on this old XP of mine (it drags, freezes, crashes), it will have to be kept on my laptop and used there…along with my newly installed Bryce Pro grin

If Hex is not good at catching errors which make it freak out, then it is little wonder that we don’t get along! I’m not very knowledgeable, I don’t even know what an N-gon is!

Posted: 10 December 2013 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-02-08

N-gon is a face with 5 or more points… Acceptable faces have 3 or 4 points…

Posted: 10 December 2013 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1668
Joined  2008-02-14

Worth repeating!

Signature 

PUBLISHED ARTIST
First Bastion’s Environments here at Daz

Posted: 10 December 2013 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1371
Joined  2008-01-01

Just thinking out loud…I often wonder what folk mean when they make a broad statement like “unstable”.  Does this refer to some inherently bad code that causes it to simply crash for no reason at all?  Can’t be, because it works very well for others who have the same setup. 

In my experience, Hex throws a fit if the operator does something when Hex is expecting something else - like giving it a task while it is waiting for one task to be completed and validated before moving on, or trying to use a curve to do something before completing the operation by collapsing DG.

Then there is simply bad mesh construction - not following basic rules.  Over the years I’ve seen so much of this passed off as “advice” and think to myself that it’s no wonder the adviser says Hex is unstable, if this is their normal working method.  Hex doesn’t have too much of a problem handling bad mesh, but when one tries to export as .obj, it can’t write the file and crashes.

Why I feel that a lot of the problems are caused by pilot error is that when I first started in Hex, I had frequent crashes - as i learned more about it, the crashes became less and less and now I can do really complex, heavy models without any problem.

A couple of things I’ve picked up in the forum that are worth trying out to improve “stability” - on Win7 64 bit, instead of installing Hex in the default X86 directory where 32 bit apps are supposed to go, install in the the normal Program Files and make it LAA.  Set your graphics card to “Let application decide”.  If you don’t have a really good graphics card, set OGL preferences to “No optimisation”.

Use the Universal Manipulator exclusively.

If in doubt whether validation is required, validate anyway - won’t do any harm.  A good indicator that validation is required is if the UM doesn’t show after completing an operation.

As for alternates, Blender is really good and not really all that bad once you make the effort.  Wings 3D is good, but I never really made an effort to understand it.  Probably the easiest of all to learn and which gave me my grounding to move to Hex is Anim8or - free, simple, with some surprisingly advanced features.

Until Nvil (which is a seriously good app) came on the scene, I was convinced that there was no future for stand-alone modeling apps.

I doubt that Hex will see any further development while in the hands of Daz.  It fulfills Daz’s need to have a modeling companion to Studio and is very capable of doing the very basic type of modeling required to do morphs and make clothing.  Daz management is convinced that the modeling capabilities of Carrara are better than Hex’s and if there is to be any further modeling development, it will surely be either in Carrara or Studio will get some basic modeling features.

3 of 7