Digital Art Zone

2 of 7
I am done with Hexagon - any alternatives?
Posted: 29 October 2013 04:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4795
Joined  2005-08-03
XoechZ - 29 October 2013 04:23 AM

How is “good” mesh constructed?

http://cgcookie.com/blender/cgc-courses/learning-mesh-topology-collection/

It’s on BlenderCookie, but topology is universal.

Signature 

Wearing duck crap doesn’t make you a duck - Floki
@Deviantart | @ShareCG
Tutorial: V4 Transmap Brows on Genesis via DS only.
Bulk convert V4/M4 mats for Genesis2

Posted: 29 October 2013 05:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  798
Joined  2011-08-05

Thanks for the link. I did a quick look and it´s some good information. But it is about body meshes. I am creating mostly any types of clothing. Do I use the same principals on clothes?

Any other tips? I am willing to learn it all grin

Signature 

My DAZ Gallery

Posted: 29 October 2013 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1368
Joined  2008-01-01

smile

Yes, all those methods are valid techniques - but they must obey the basic rules.

You could start off by taking a look at the videos on the link I posted above - these are nice and simple to get to grips with.  For more detailed explanations of the rules, try this https://www.googledrive.com/host/0B2iAZL5Uq_C8Yk1VVFhpMXZEczA/US/html/__tut_41798.html

Then simply Google something like “polygonal modeling rules” - I got 1.67 million results - the links on just the first page should keep you occupied for a while:)

Posted: 29 October 2013 08:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16
XoechZ - 29 October 2013 04:23 AM

What I always do is box modeling. So, starting with a simple cube or cylinder and then making something complex from it, by dividing and adding geometry, smoothing and making everything flow around my models body. Extruding and adding thickness is also in my workflow. Anything wrong about this?

Some tools, (such as add thickness often) will flip normals. Most tools offer a method to sort this out. In Blender it’s on the ‘tool panel’ under ‘Normals’ called ‘Recalculate.’ Backwards facing normals and surfaces with normals facing in alternating directions can both cause problems.

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 29 October 2013 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-08-05

Thank you very much for all your input!

Much to read and to learn grin

Btw, what do you guys think of ZBrush? ZBrush is far away from being cheap, but still more affordable than other products.
I know, ZBrush has much more features than Hexagon, but when it comes to modeling - especially modeling clothes oven an existing figure - could it be an alternative to Hexagon?
Unfortunately I can´t find a Demo or Trial version on their website, so I can´t try it.

Signature 

My DAZ Gallery

Posted: 29 October 2013 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2004-08-18

For the longest time, the version I was using was running perfectly.  I hadn’t had a crash in months.  I remember it was really buggy, someone suggested updated to the latest version, so I did and I couldn’t get it to stop crashing immediately, so I reverted back to an old version and it worked great for a long time.  Whenever it would freeze up, I’d let it sit and it would just eventually fix itself.

I’ve been busy and haven’t been using it for the last 6 months.  I made the mistake of updating to the latest version and it’s worse than ever.  There is a really stable version of Hex out there.  I don’t understand the reasoning behind this buggy as hell version and why it continues to screw up.  It’s like as soon as Daz got a hold of it., they killed a decent program.

Posted: 29 October 2013 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  202
Joined  2003-10-09
XoechZ - 29 October 2013 01:37 PM

Thank you very much for all your input!

Much to read and to learn grin

Btw, what do you guys think of ZBrush? ZBrush is far away from being cheap, but still more affordable than other products.
I know, ZBrush has much more features than Hexagon, but when it comes to modeling - especially modeling clothes oven an existing figure - could it be an alternative to Hexagon?
Unfortunately I can´t find a Demo or Trial version on their website, so I can´t try it.

I can highly recomend ZBrush for anyone who can afford it. I think it’s the best buy I’ve ever made, plus all the updates are free.
I work in it on a more or less daily basis and even though it looks like it’s even worse to learn than Blender it really isn’t. wink
The GUI scares some people away but once you’ve started to go through all the basic tutorial at the main site it all clicks and makes sense.
Works great for making clothes for Poser and DS. Go for it if you can.

Signature 

Renderosity. http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=29771

Rendo Freebies. http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/index.php?username=ghostman

RDNA http://www.runtimedna.com/Ghostman/

Posted: 29 October 2013 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4962
Joined  2008-03-06

Zbrush is on my “To Get When I Can Afford” list.  It is part of many multi-programmatic workflows and a lot of DAZ artists use it. grin

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 29 October 2013 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-08-05

Thanks for the info!

I can´t afford it in the moment, but it´s not long until Christmas. We will see grin
Just too bad that there is no trial or demo of ZBrush available. I would really like to test it out.

Signature 

My DAZ Gallery

Posted: 29 October 2013 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4769
Joined  2004-07-01
XoechZ - 29 October 2013 02:37 PM

Thanks for the info!

I can´t afford it in the moment, but it´s not long until Christmas. We will see grin
Just too bad that there is no trial or demo of ZBrush available. I would really like to test it out.

there is a 30 day trial .

Posted: 29 October 2013 07:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5054
Joined  2012-04-07
bigh - 29 October 2013 05:57 PM

Thanks for the info!

where?

Signature 

Posted: 29 October 2013 07:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4795
Joined  2005-08-03
Patience55 - 29 October 2013 07:09 PM

Thanks for the info!

where?

There is no actual Zbrush trial. They stopped doing trials and took them down like a year or so ago.

Signature 

Wearing duck crap doesn’t make you a duck - Floki
@Deviantart | @ShareCG
Tutorial: V4 Transmap Brows on Genesis via DS only.
Bulk convert V4/M4 mats for Genesis2

Posted: 29 October 2013 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5054
Joined  2012-04-07
Vaskania - 29 October 2013 07:29 PM
Patience55 - 29 October 2013 07:09 PM

Thanks for the info!

where?

There is no actual Zbrush trial. They stopped doing trials and took them down like a year or so ago.

That’s what I thought too. Was hoping maybe they’d reinstated it.

Signature 

Posted: 29 October 2013 10:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1368
Joined  2008-01-01

What about 3D Coat?  It has a trial period.  I’ve not tried either because there is no point in trying what i can’t afford to buy.

I really enjoy using Sculptris, which is free.  Don’t know about clothing - Sculpting then retopoing clothing does seem a bit extreme and a long way around smile

This little feller started as a doodle in Sculptris - liked the way it was going, so completed it, retopoed in Blender, finished in Hex and rigged in Daz Studio.

Image Attachments
bubbles.jpg

Posted: 29 October 2013 10:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4962
Joined  2008-03-06
Roygee - 29 October 2013 10:19 PM

What about 3D Coat?  It has a trial period.  I’ve not tried either because there is no point in trying what i can’t afford to buy.

I really enjoy using Sculptris, which is free.  Don’t know about clothing - Sculpting then retopoing clothing does seem a bit extreme and a long way around smile

This little feller started as a doodle in Sculptris - liked the way it was going, so completed it, retopoed in Blender, finished in Hex and rigged in Daz Studio.

I have 3dCoat.  I wouldn’t call it a good total 3d solution, and definitely not when it comes to base modeling and UV.  Where it’s very strong is in sculpting multires meshes, retopology, and seamless texturing.  For me work in 3dCoat is a finishing step - the project has to start elsewhere.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

2 of 7