Just to restate, the issue is with opening scene files created in DS 4.0. I am now running DS 4.6. It happens on scenes that have the Genesis figure (almost all of my scenes).
I’ve made a few attempts at getting this to work. My first attempt was simply to open any such scene file in DS 4.6. The error reads:
An error occurred while reading the file, see the log file for more details. I’ve viewed the log file and don’t know what most of it means. The line that I think is an error reads:
Error setting pointers while reading file C:/Users/Jeff/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/Scenes40/femElfArcher.daz : C Exception: Memory Access Violation - Attempted to read memory at address 0x00000000
Another attempt came after reading Jaderail’s post, where the idea seems to be to create new scene files in the new 4.6 format. This was also unsuccessful. I tried to follow the suggestion, specifically doing these steps (all of this under My Library):
1. I created a new subfolder called Scenes40 and copied all my old scene files there. These are in .daz format.
2. I created a new subfolder called Data40, and moved all the subfolders and files from the Data folder to Data40. Data is now an empty folder, which I think was the idea to temporarily make it empty. I’m guessing the point of this is to fake out DS and build a scene despite the above issue.
3. In DS, I opened an old 4.0 scene file. I received 2 errors. The first reads:
One or more files could not be found while loading file: C:\Users\Jeff\Documents\DAZ3D\Studio\My Library\Scenes40\femElfArcher.daz. Make sure that your DAZ Studio content directories are correctly set in the Content Library > Options Menu > Content Directory Manager. Please see the log file for details. If you save this scene be sure to use File > Save As and save to a new file.
I guess that one was expected. After that I got the same error as before: An error occurred while reading the file, see the log file for more details. I have many lines in the log that look something like:
Unable to find file for storable: data/4_0_2/Genesis/Genesis/geometry/geometry_28f01d39_ad5d_7810_b5f2_4490a976ce72/geometry.dso
One difference I did notice is that the Scene tab does have the appropriate things listed, unlike my earlier attempt in which the Scene tab was empty. However, at this point in time there is nothing showing in the viewport.
4. I then did a Save As to save this scene as the new format (.duf). Then closed DS.
5. I moved all the files from Data40 back to Data, where they belong.
6. Reopened DS 4.6 and tried to open the newly created .duf scene. I got an error:
Some assets needed to load the file were missing. The content may not work as expected. The following files could not be found:
But there are not any files listed, just empty space and an Ok button.
The scene, if you can call it that, is strange. I’ve attached an image of what it looks like. It should be an elf woman w/long blonde hair, wearing a dress, holding a bow, etc.
I’m open to suggestions for where to go from here.
Click thumbnail to see full-size image