Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
DS 4.6 can’t open DS 4.0 scenes with genesis
Posted: 21 March 2014 11:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2012-02-05

I tried doing as suggested - I moved the 4.0 scene files to a new folder.  Then I moved everything in the Data folder (and all subfolders and files) to a new folder.  I tried to open a 4.0 scene, but get a new error that it can’t a file, and then the same error I’ve been getting since upgrading to 4.6:
An error occurred while reading the file, see the log file for more details.
Not sure if I didn’t follow the suggestion right, or if I didn’t make clear the issue originally.  The issue being the error when trying to open a scene file created in 4.0 (.daz file) using the newer DS 4.6.  Error only seems to happen in a scene w/Genesis (M4 only scene is ok).  Most all of my scenes have Genesis.  Nothing is actually loaded in DS because of the error.

Posted: 21 March 2014 11:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16403
Joined  2009-01-22

No that was not a fix, I’m saying this is how I keep all my stuff updated with every new DAZ Studio update now. Not that this fixes the old files… I update all my scene files to every (full) version of DAZ Studio as they get updated. I have old files that can not be read. But when I started doing this back with DS4.5 I have not lost any scenes afterwards. They stay updated. It’s just a example to keep your files working as things change not a fix for the old ones that can not be loaded.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 23 March 2014 01:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2005-01-14

Funny my old thread should surface now; since I mentioned in the measure metrics thread exactly how DS updates have been disastrous and support has been preposterous in the past.

Posted: 23 March 2014 06:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4524
Joined  2007-09-13

Maybe it would help if you posted the EXACT error message and snippets of the log file.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 23 March 2014 10:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2012-02-05

Just to restate, the issue is with opening scene files created in DS 4.0.  I am now running DS 4.6.  It happens on scenes that have the Genesis figure (almost all of my scenes).
I’ve made a few attempts at getting this to work.  My first attempt was simply to open any such scene file in DS 4.6.  The error reads:
An error occurred while reading the file, see the log file for more details.  I’ve viewed the log file and don’t know what most of it means.  The line that I think is an error reads:
Error setting pointers while reading file C:/Users/Jeff/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/Scenes40/femElfArcher.daz : C Exception: Memory Access Violation - Attempted to read memory at address 0x00000000

Another attempt came after reading Jaderail’s post, where the idea seems to be to create new scene files in the new 4.6 format.  This was also unsuccessful.  I tried to follow the suggestion, specifically doing these steps (all of this under My Library):
1.  I created a new subfolder called Scenes40 and copied all my old scene files there.  These are in .daz format.
2.  I created a new subfolder called Data40, and moved all the subfolders and files from the Data folder to Data40.  Data is now an empty folder, which I think was the idea to temporarily make it empty.  I’m guessing the point of this is to fake out DS and build a scene despite the above issue.
3.  In DS, I opened an old 4.0 scene file.  I received 2 errors.  The first reads:
One or more files could not be found while loading file: C:\Users\Jeff\Documents\DAZ3D\Studio\My Library\Scenes40\femElfArcher.daz.  Make sure that your DAZ Studio content directories are correctly set in the Content Library > Options Menu > Content Directory Manager.  Please see the log file for details.  If you save this scene be sure to use File > Save As and save to a new file.

I guess that one was expected.  After that I got the same error as before: An error occurred while reading the file, see the log file for more details.  I have many lines in the log that look something like:
Unable to find file for storable: data/4_0_2/Genesis/Genesis/geometry/geometry_28f01d39_ad5d_7810_b5f2_4490a976ce72/geometry.dso
One difference I did notice is that the Scene tab does have the appropriate things listed, unlike my earlier attempt in which the Scene tab was empty.  However, at this point in time there is nothing showing in the viewport.

4.  I then did a Save As to save this scene as the new format (.duf).  Then closed DS.
5.  I moved all the files from Data40 back to Data, where they belong.
6.  Reopened DS 4.6 and tried to open the newly created .duf scene.  I got an error:
Some assets needed to load the file were missing.  The content may not work as expected.  The following files could not be found:
But there are not any files listed, just empty space and an Ok button.
The scene, if you can call it that, is strange.  I’ve attached an image of what it looks like.  It should be an elf woman w/long blonde hair, wearing a dress, holding a bow, etc.

I’m open to suggestions for where to go from here.

Image Attachments
badScene.png

Posted: 23 March 2014 10:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9573
Joined  2007-11-06

This might be promising, actually.  .duf files are plain text (by default they are compressed, but any program that can open zips can uncompress them so they are readable.  That would tell you what data files they’re looking for.  It might be as simple as copying them into a subfolder of Data called 4_0 or 4_0_2

Try this—I’m assuming the figure is Genesis?  Select it in the Scene tab and then double-click the icon for Genesis in your Content Library/Smart Content.  If it asks whether you want to load a new Genesis or replace the existing one, choose replace.  Hopefully that will replace it with a default Genesis.  Then press Ctrl-Z (undo) and see if that gives you the properly posed and morphed figure.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Tutorial: Adding Surfaces in DS
Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 24 March 2014 07:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2012-02-05

Yes, it is genesis.  I tried what you suggested - to replace the genesis in the scene with a ‘fresh’ genesis, but no luck.  It looks almost the same.
I’m thinking the only path forward for me is to have a 4.0 install on my old PC, and keep 4.6 on the newer PC.  It would take a while, but I think I could recreate scenes in 4.6 if I at least had the 4.0 version to reference (my old PC is way underpowered for renders tho).  Unfortunately, the 4.0 installer is no longer available in my account (only 4.6 is there).  Windows 32-bit is what the old PC would need.  How do I go about requesting that this installer be put back in my downloads area?

Posted: 24 March 2014 07:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9573
Joined  2007-11-06

You can contact support and see if they can give you the installer for the last 4.0 build.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Tutorial: Adding Surfaces in DS
Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Updated Genesis Products

2 of 2