Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Metaball art
Posted: 24 October 2013 06:52 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  393
Joined  2006-08-24

How can metaballs be shaped into something other than “balls”? Flat surface?

Posted: 24 October 2013 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-08-24

Can Bryce be “tricked” into creating animated ripples from a water drop?

Posted: 24 October 2013 07:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-08-24

Since Bryce chokes when I import complex characters from Daz, I am assuming there is so polygon limit to its stable function? If I am correct What is that limit and how do I avoid reaching it?

Posted: 24 October 2013 07:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-08-24

Is there a way to animate skin tone changes in Daz or Bryce?

Posted: 24 October 2013 08:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-08-24

Can any one tell me why Daz keeps refusing to render AniMate aniblocks? seems to be going fine, then just hangs and crashes.

Image Attachments
Busy_man_Screenshot.jpg

Posted: 24 October 2013 08:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  426
Joined  2005-11-06
vindazi - 24 October 2013 06:52 AM

I have seen others make some interesting things from metaballs like figures. You can cleverly make shapes by their placement to each other according to their levels of attraction. The manual is a good resource for how the levels of attraction work -

http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/artzone/pub/software/bryce/bryce_7_ag_wip_0204.pdf

Signature 

BEGINNERS TUTORIALS FOR BRYCE
MY DAZ 3d STORE  for Bryce & DAZ Studio Materials and Shaders
BRYCE ARENA News and resources for Bryce

Posted: 24 October 2013 08:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-08-24

Great stuff. Thanks so much. Hadn’t seen this.

Posted: 24 October 2013 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-08-24

Does DAZ go to any exhibits or animation conferences? do they put on any workshops where people could come, bring their computers and get training? I appreciate these fora , but it would be nice to see some experts work with DAZ and Bryce and try things along with them.

Has anyone compiled a list of what Daz and Bryce CAN’T do and shouldn’t be expected to? What are it’s weaknesses? What can’t be done on PC’s vs Macs? Thus would be really useful and save a lot of time.

Posted: 24 October 2013 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2011-09-25

@vindazi:  If you want to see what others have done with metaballs, go to the Show us your renders Part 5 thread and start viewing with page one.  If you have a copy of the Bryce PDF manual there’s a section in there that covers metaballs.  It doesn’t go into great detail how to get them to form other shapes, but the understanding how they work will help you create other shapes.

Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.
My Gallery Page: GussNemo’s Efforts

Posted: 24 October 2013 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15641
Joined  2003-10-09

I made a fairy light out of metaballs. lol

Image Attachments
meta_ball_fairylight.jpg
 Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        August Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 24 October 2013 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1451
Joined  2003-10-09
vindazi - 24 October 2013 07:03 AM

Since Bryce chokes when I import complex characters from Daz, I am assuming there is so polygon limit to its stable function? If I am correct What is that limit and how do I avoid reaching it?

While I don’t know if there is a polygon count limit of any kind or not (I haven’t heard of one, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t one) I will hazard a guess that the limit you are hitting that is causing instability is quite possibly the memory limits of Bryce and/or your computer.  Bryce is a 32-bit application, which unfortunately means the memory available to it is easily exceeded.
  While there is no good way to avoid the problem, there are small things that you can do to try to squeeze a little more out of Bryce.  Exit and restart often to clear the undo stack from memory.  Characters may often have numberous image textures that use a lot of memory, and you may not need them to be as high-resolution as they are, or even at all.  Reduce the image size before transferring them over when appropriate, or even consider eliminating image materials entirely and using Bryce materials instead.  (Probably you don’t want to do that for a human character, and it might be hard with clothing, but might be easy for various accessories like metallic or neutral-colored objects.)  There may be parts of your character that you can skip the materials for entirely (if the mouth is closed, you don’t need teeth for example, or if the figure is facing away from the camera with no reflections, you may not need eyes, etc.).  Similarly, you can delete lots of hidden parts of the figure under clothing.
  If you are running on a machine with very little memory, consider the 3GB option in Windows if appropriate, or make sure you aren’t running lots of other applications that might be hogging available memory at the same time.  If you can’t transfer a character and clothing at the same time, try transferring just the character, then just one article of clothing, then the next, etc., possibly with exiting/restarting inbetween, and see if that helps.  If you are using the bridge, consider trying to do export/import instead, I’m not sure if that will help but I could see how it might possibly.
  Instancing may also help; if you were transferring multiple copies of the figure, see if you can just use one and instance the other copies within Bryce.  Note that I personally have stability issues when I use the instancing functions (although if I can get past the point of creating/changing instances, everything’s fine for me), so it might be a stability trade-off here.

Posted: 24 October 2013 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  247
Joined  2005-09-28

Proximity. Fortunately, the manual explains how metaballs work. I can only hope it has addressed negative metaballs. But metaballs stay ellipsoids, and they only interact in metaball fashion with other metaballs.

vindazi - 24 October 2013 06:59 AM

Yes and no. Bryce does not have collision physics, so if you’re hoping to achieve this with metaballs, you’re in for a very, very, VERY long and disappointing session of manually creating fluid dynamics.

Better bet: Use a concentric ring texture to map to the height of a terrain. This is advanced stuff. Walk before you can run smile

In terms of polys, try and stay under 1 million total. Depending on the machine, some have reported success with 2M polys. But often it isn’t the poly count that causes problems, it’s DAZ Studio’s file format hitting brick walls in Bryce’s file handling. Not a lot you can do about that.

vindazi - 24 October 2013 07:06 AM

Yes - Alter your material settings over time. Assign a material to an object. Enter the MatLab. There’s a timeline there. Set keyframes for any material changes you want to make here.  Again, this is advanced stuff and I can’t give a short lesson on how it all works. It comes down to cases, really. Just be aware: you can animate PARAMETERS (any setting that has a numerical value), but you can’t animate STATES (any setting that has on/off, activate/deactivate, in/out condition). For example: You can animate a gradual change in texture values (textures are those A,B,C,D mathematical constructs that give your material depth colour and quality), but you can’t animate a swap from one texture to another texture. If you didn’t understand that, again, this is advanced stuff smile

vindazi - 24 October 2013 08:03 AM

Can any one tell me why Daz keeps refusing to render AniMate aniblocks? seems to be going fine, then just hangs and crashes.

Because Bryce is old and has a very different way of handling animation than DAZ Studio does. Aniblocks are self-contained animation sequences for multiple object movement. It was incorporated into DAZ Studio in 2009, I think, could be wrong.

Bryce animation functions haven’t changed at all since their addition in Bryce 3 in 1997.

...Well… They’ve grown increasingly more unstable, but other than that, no changes.

Signature 

Oroboros Presents… KEY-FLAME: Bryce Animation Tutorials

Posted: 24 October 2013 09:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-08-24
Oroboros - 24 October 2013 08:23 PM

Proximity. Fortunately, the manual explains how metaballs work. I can only hope it has addressed negative metaballs. But metaballs stay ellipsoids, and they only interact in metaball fashion with other metaballs.

vindazi - 24 October 2013 06:59 AM

Yes and no. Bryce does not have collision physics, so if you’re hoping to achieve this with metaballs, you’re in for a very, very, VERY long and disappointing session of manually creating fluid dynamics.

Better bet: Use a concentric ring texture to map to the height of a terrain. This is advanced stuff. Walk before you can run smile

In terms of polys, try and stay under 1 million total. Depending on the machine, some have reported success with 2M polys. But often it isn’t the poly count that causes problems, it’s DAZ Studio’s file format hitting brick walls in Bryce’s file handling. Not a lot you can do about that.

vindazi - 24 October 2013 07:06 AM

Yes - Alter your material settings over time. Assign a material to an object. Enter the MatLab. There’s a timeline there. Set keyframes for any material changes you want to make here.  Again, this is advanced stuff and I can’t give a short lesson on how it all works. It comes down to cases, really. Just be aware: you can animate PARAMETERS (any setting that has a numerical value), but you can’t animate STATES (any setting that has on/off, activate/deactivate, in/out condition). For example: You can animate a gradual change in texture values (textures are those A,B,C,D mathematical constructs that give your material depth colour and quality), but you can’t animate a swap from one texture to another texture. If you didn’t understand that, again, this is advanced stuff smile

Because Bryce is old and has a very different way of handling animation than DAZ Studio does. Aniblocks are self-contained animation sequences for multiple object movement. It was incorporated into DAZ Studio in 2009, I think, could be wrong.

Bryce animation functions haven’t changed at all since their addition in Bryce 3 in 1997.

...Well… They’ve grown increasingly more unstable, but other than that, no changes.

Thanks. Actually it is Daz that is hanging up. See image. Any idea why?

Posted: 24 October 2013 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4715
Joined  2004-07-01

render is done - it’s trying to save your video
do not know why it stopped .

Posted: 25 October 2013 01:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  172
Joined  2009-05-04

Hi Vindazi

Here an example of a robot mostly made of Bryce Metaballs. I used negative metaballs to create a certain shape.

Image Attachments
droid7_black.jpg

Posted: 25 October 2013 02:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  426
Joined  2005-11-06
electro-elvis - 25 October 2013 01:48 AM

Hi Vindazi

Here an example of a robot mostly made of Bryce Metaballs. I used negative metaballs to create a certain shape.

Very cool!!

Signature 

BEGINNERS TUTORIALS FOR BRYCE
MY DAZ 3d STORE  for Bryce & DAZ Studio Materials and Shaders
BRYCE ARENA News and resources for Bryce

1 of 3