Digital Art Zone

3 of 3
The future of Bryce?
Posted: 30 October 2013 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2010-01-30

Sadly I think Oroboros may be right. DAZ cannot make much money from Bryce, there is a lot of competition out there in terms of 3D and gaming / animation software. 

To me Bryce is a really amazing program and David and Horo have been hero’s in revealing its depths to lessor mortals like me.

I really hope that if DAZ ever do drop it, they release the code so that some smart minds (with free time and lots of independent financial support!) can perhaps re-program the algorithms and interface in a modern open source language and add and any needed modern functionality. Who knows.

Posted: 30 October 2013 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15242
Joined  2003-10-09
keryna - 30 October 2013 02:19 PM

Sadly I think Oroboros may be right. DAZ cannot make much money from Bryce, there is a lot of competition out there in terms of 3D and gaming / animation software. 

To me Bryce is a really amazing program and David and Horo have been hero’s in revealing its depths to lessor mortals like me.

I really hope that if DAZ ever do drop it, they release the code so that some smart minds (with free time and lots of independent financial support!) can perhaps re-program the algorithms and interface in a modern open source language and add and any needed modern functionality. Who knows.

Bryce make quite a lot of money from Bryce Users, if users Like Trish and I are typical.  We buy a lot of Daz content,, just not Bryce specific content, and import it into Bryce for rendering, and I know there are a lot of others who are like us and use Daz models as well as Bryce native stuff.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        E Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 30 October 2013 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2005-03-10
chohole - 30 October 2013 02:28 PM
keryna - 30 October 2013 02:19 PM

Bryce make quite a lot of money from Bryce Users, if users Like Trish and I are typical.  We buy a lot of Daz content,, just not Bryce specific content, and import it into Bryce for rendering, and I know there are a lot of others who are like us and use Daz models as well as Bryce native stuff.

Daz3d used to make more money off of Bryce user then they do today.  I am confident that their lack of support of the product has done “wonders” to their marketshare.  I know in my occasional grazing of the forums I see fewer posts and posters.  Not ‘dead’ but if you strangle something long enough the end results would seem rather obvious.  But that is all conjecture.  What I can say for a fact is that I ‘was’ a good customer.  I bought quite a bit over the many years I’ve been here.  Whenever a patch/update to Bryce rolled around I’d buy something (anything) to show my appreciation.  I suspect that some of the others had similar habits.  It has been quite a while since I bought anything.  I am voting with my wallet as that is ultimately the most effective way to get a companies attention.  If they fail to produce what I really want then there are other options to getting the bits and pieces.  I am not advocating anything.  Nor do I wish to ‘harm’ Daz3d.  It’s more like I, and those like me, are not valuable enough as customers to matter.

But I am still “Brycing”.  I have recently introduced my son (just turned 13) to Bryce.  He and his friends are just amazed by it.  What made it great back in the day is still there even if it is no longer competitive.

Posted: 30 October 2013 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  2004-10-01

I agree Pam, nearly 43,000 files in over 6,800 folders occupying 16.3 GB just installed Studio stuff and I paid dearly for it.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 30 October 2013 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15242
Joined  2003-10-09

Yes, my first purchases at Daz were made before years before there were even any forums here.  I would hate to add up my order history and work out how much it has cost me.

My order histories at other stores are far, far less.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        E Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 30 October 2013 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2672
Joined  2007-05-05

If the truth be known the only reason I buy so much stuff is because I am too lazy to make it myself or too broke or to unwilling to learn another 3d program….and I won’t even guess how much I have dropped during the PC sale….(oh my)  as someone on the art forum put it ” So Trish you just use Daz as a closet for Bryce” and that is about the size of it ...Trish

Just popped off a question to the powers that be about an update ....I have never asked them before…but as least I made the effort

Signature 

Please remember my comprehension level is not the same as a rocket scientist…
Bryce7Pro-Addict…............Darkside-oholic…......Carrara-wannabee
http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/269      http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/28462/

Posted: 30 October 2013 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  134
Joined  2003-10-09
chohole - 30 October 2013 02:28 PM

Not recognising this scenario is a frequent mistake made by companies with a wide product range, particularly when they get new management. Accountants with little understanding of the historical structure take a look at the apparent success of individual parts without considering the benefit from the interaction of the individual parts. So they kill off an apparently loss making line and then wonder why sales of their other lines drop off.

Happens all the time with supermarket and department store chains, which is why there is a constant rise and fall in their fortunes. 

Posted: 31 October 2013 02:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  221
Joined  2005-09-28

I know I’ve said this before, but just from the few comments on this page I’m wondering:

Given that DAZ’s core business is in content/consumables, not applications… Is there any incentive to develop their apps?

Let’s face it, items from the DAZ store don’t JUST work with DAZ apps. The figurines and clothing are Poser-friendly, and I’m sure other platforms can import models/items in the DAZ store. The only reason to upgrade an application would be to cater for a new technology in their consumables.

Yet another reason to avoid development hmmm

Signature 

Oroboros Presents… KEY-FLAME: Bryce Animation Tutorials

Posted: 31 October 2013 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  2004-10-01

DAZ 3D’s core business IS content, at least that’s what they say. Content can be exported out of DS and imported into almost any other application, the bridge to Bryce is just a convenience.

Studio is being constantly developed. The main focus is on characters and they seem to have some advantage over Poser but there is also an add-on or something that allows to load the characters into Poser.

Brycer’s are potential customers and that might have been the rational behind the purchase of it from Corel: to get more customers. How much we contribute I have no idea but certainly not the bulk. If Brycers do make a difference, then developing Bryce makes sense. The question is whether DAZ 3D is aware for what application the content is purchased.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

3 of 3