Digital Art Zone

Water Ripples
Posted: 29 June 2012 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  83
Joined  2011-01-03

The render I’m currently working on features a character standing in water so I want to add some ripples around them to make things look a bit better.  Does any one know where I could find effects/brushes etc that will let me add ripples,I’ve taken a look at some of the Ron’s water brushes but none of them seem to have ripple effects.

Posted: 30 June 2012 01:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4577
Joined  2004-07-01

Bryce does nice ones

Posted: 30 June 2012 05:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13433
Joined  2003-10-09

In what? Are you wanting to add them to the water surface in the render, or by post-work? If the application you are using has good quality bumps or supports displacement you could create a bump or displacement map for the effect. In many applications you could use a shader to generate a wave pattern and apply that to bump (using the Shader Mixer in DS, for example). Or if your water plane is or can be high enough resolution you could use a magnet/DForm with a wavy strength graph to distort the geometry.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 30 June 2012 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  83
Joined  2011-01-03
Richard Haseltine - 30 June 2012 05:22 AM

In what? Are you wanting to add them to the water surface in the render, or by post-work? If the application you are using has good quality bumps or supports displacement you could create a bump or displacement map for the effect. In many applications you could use a shader to generate a wave pattern and apply that to bump (using the Shader Mixer in DS, for example). Or if your water plane is or can be high enough resolution you could use a magnet/DForm with a wavy strength graph to distort the geometry.

I’m using DAZ 4 pro for the moment but I have downloaded Bryce. The water I want to add the ripples to is the water prop from the Greek bath set., I’m still pretty new and inexperienced so I don’t know if I’ll be able to create my own ripple effects so I’m think added them post-work might be easier for me.

Posted: 30 June 2012 07:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15143
Joined  2003-10-09

I have a set of “water ripples” props, which are simple obj objects which can be added to a flat surface and textured with the same shader as he bas water plane. However I can’t find them at the moment, so that doesn’t help much. They were made by a guy called spacbones, and I searched his gallery at ShareCG and can’t see them, although he does have a set available there called “Wakes” which although designed for ships wakes, you may be able to do something with

http://www.sharecg.com/v/25282/gallery/5/3D-Model/Wakes

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        E Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 30 June 2012 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1144
Joined  2009-01-09
chohole - 30 June 2012 07:54 AM

I have a set of “water ripples” props, which are simple obj objects which can be added to a flat surface and textured with the same shader as he bas water plane. However I can’t find them at the moment, so that doesn’t help much. They were made by a guy called spacbones, and I searched his gallery at ShareCG and can’t see them, although he does have a set available there called “Wakes” which although designed for ships wakes, you may be able to do something with

Chohole, is “Liquid” the Spacebones object set you were talking about? They’re not specific to water, but they may work.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/25522/related/3D-Model/Liquid

Signature 

VWrangler at deviantArt (NSFW for some images; login required to view those)

Posted: 30 June 2012 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15143
Joined  2003-10-09

Yes, that’s the one I was thinking of. I went through his entire gallery looking for it, and still managed to miss it. red face

THey do work well, I have used them several times.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        E Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 30 June 2012 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16419
Joined  2009-01-22

I have that set. You will need to Re-Size them to fit your scene after you import the Object file.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 30 June 2012 04:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  229
Joined  2005-10-26

This is something I’ve wanted to try for a while, but where might I find these Dforms and possibly a tutorial on how to use them?

Signature 

Old post count 4147
MY DA Gallery : http://flashback37.deviantart.com/

Posted: 30 June 2012 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16419
Joined  2009-01-22
flashback - 30 June 2012 04:18 PM

This is something I’ve wanted to try for a while, but where might I find these Dforms and possibly a tutorial on how to use them?

Yes Richard please explain Wavy Strength Graph for a defromer. The uninformed masses wish to know this step.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 01 July 2012 05:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13433
Joined  2003-10-09

It’s pretty simple - in the DForm pane (Window>Panes(Tabs)>DForm) click Edit Spline. In the dialogue click the Add radio button and then click on the line to add control points, then click the Move radio button and drag the points up and down to make a wave.

Image Attachments
WavySplineDform.jpg
 Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 01 July 2012 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1428
Joined  2010-06-29
Fabe_ca - 29 June 2012 05:34 PM

The render I’m currently working on features a character standing in water so I want to add some ripples around them to make things look a bit better.  Does any one know where I could find effects/brushes etc that will let me add ripples,I’ve taken a look at some of the Ron’s water brushes but none of them seem to have ripple effects.

so, first of my tips:

use the waterdisk of nerds “waves on the beach” that you can get here at the daz store:

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/waves-on-the-beach/

or have a look at this water 3D FX objects. with some scaling and maybe d-formers you can create really great 3D water effects.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/flinks-water-fx/93679

Signature 

Samples of my renders by cosmo

Every day is your day - not the day of other people - So live your life, not the lifes of others and enjoy it

Posted: 01 July 2012 08:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1541
Joined  2008-02-14

If you get the reality plugin for DAZ Studio you can have excellent water surfaces.

Image Attachments
asummerintrieste_copy.jpg
 Signature 

PUBLISHED ARTIST
First Bastion’s Environments here at Daz

Posted: 05 March 2013 05:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1348
Joined  2011-11-16
vwrangler - 30 June 2012 11:57 AM
chohole - 30 June 2012 07:54 AM

Chohole, is “Liquid” the Spacebones object set you were talking about? They’re not specific to water, but they may work.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/25522/related/3D-Model/Liquid

These sets will definitely come in handy. I’ve been looking for something like these. Now all I need are some shower spray, and a decent (free) wet skin shader or mat pose for Genesis.

Posted: 05 March 2013 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2945
Joined  2011-12-10

Is there a way to save a dform preset?  I’d love to be able to do that with my new wave deformer….

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery
OPENSUBDIV Testing and Discussion
3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread