+
“Bryce is not compatible with the last 3 OSX releases”
+
“You can run an old version of OSX in a partition just for Bryce”
+
“It works on Windows”
=
abandonware for Mac users.

Been using Bryce since Bryce 2. Was sad to come back to Daz to download my license on to a new mac and discover this debacle.
Sad really.
You can say you haven’t abandoned it all you want but as you have no idea when or if anything will change we’ll just assume it is abandoned until we hear something concrete.

Posted: 05 August 2014 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  320
Joined  2011-09-24

As an alternative- the latest version of Photoshop has some/very few Bryce related capabilities.

Signature 

My Store
My Gallery
A captain’s goal was simple: find a crew, find a job… keep flying.
-Firefly

Posted: 13 March 2015 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2006-09-02

Is there any possible news about Bryce 7 Pro being compatible with newer MacOS Maverick 10.9.5 or Yosemite?

There is something weird and that I do not what to think, I mean

Is very curious that I have seen that Bryce 7 Pro is available in the Mac App store (itunes) for 99.99$  AND the interesting part and most related to the topic of this thread is this text shown here

Mac App store Bryce 7 Pro direct link

Compatibility: OS X 10.6.6 OR LATER

Released: Jun 10, 2011
  Version: 7.1
  Size: 317 MB
  Language: English
  Seller: DAZ Productions, Inc.
  © 2011 DAZ 3D

IF Bryce is NOT compatible with Mavericks or Yosemite, How they are selling this on the Mac App store?

Or maybe is that they do not know that this does not work on newer Macos

Thanks for any news and help

Posted: 13 March 2015 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  320
Joined  2011-09-24

SpaceRay- I guess no real news but a confirmation here.

The reviews of this in the App Store are people confirming it doesn’t work in Lion so I bet it just hasn’t been updated. There is also a note (attached below) in the app description that I do not believe was ever followed up on.

I’ve combed the forum and it doesn’t look like it will be updated for Yosemite.
I tried really hard to get it to work, except for the Windows/BootCamp ideas, I tried using WINE. No luck.
My brother told me the current version of Windows I would need to install is flakey.
I found contact information from some of the builders of the program and they are not interested. One is doing something similar but there doesn’t appear to be any import/export options. Actually he confirmed that it would not export OBJ files.
I experimented with many similar programs for various reasons I could not go with any of those.

My final solution was that my mom finally retired her old MAC to me for Christmas, and guess what? It has Snow Leopard on it so I was able to get Bryce to work. JOY! BTW I have a disk copy of Snow Leopard and tried to install it on a machine that has Yosemite- no good. I could not go backwards with the OS.

The other attachment is a note from my chat with Apple about which old MAC to buy. There are still companies selling these as refurbs.

It’s great to have this program back. I hope you find a solution.

Image Attachments
Screen_Shot_2015-03-13_at_3.07_.40_PM_.pngScreen_Shot_2014-11-17_at_2.07_.20_PM_.png
 Signature 

My Store
My Gallery
A captain’s goal was simple: find a crew, find a job… keep flying.
-Firefly

Posted: 03 April 2015 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2006-01-14

As a Bryce user from the ‘90s (first saw it in a CompUSA store—remember those?), I, too, miss a modern Mac-compatible version.  I’ve got a Mac Pro tower that’s old enough to boot Mac OS 10.6 and keep a 10.6 partition to do so, but be advised that System Preferences under 10.6 doesn’t recognize a 10.10 (Yosemite) partition as bootable—to get back to 10.10 you must boot through an operating system version that can be seen by 10.6 and that itself sees 10.10, such as 10.9.  I know that Parallels is another option, but I haven’t bothered since I’ve moved to a non-Bryce alternative.  Which is a shame, because I really like the Bryce interface, funky as it is, and prefer its renderer, slow though it might be.  Every so often I check to see if there’s an update.  In DAZ 3D’s defense, Bryce must be a bear of an application and I don’t envy anyone working on its code.

3 of 3