Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Mavericks…... Bryce is Back!!!! :-o
Posted: 23 October 2013 06:57 AM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2006-03-28

Hello fellow Bryce buddies!!

I can confirm that Bryce 7 Pro (v7.1) will run under OSX 10.9!!!!!!

It is rather glitchy with certain presets and editors causing the program to crash, but, I was able to open, edit and render a file.

This has given me a renewed sense of optimism that someone somewhere might take the time to code an update for the mac so I can stop having to use windowz 7…...

Is anyone else also having succes??

I’m running it on a mid 2010 MBP and will have a go on my late 2012 iMac once Mavericks has finished.

Take care all!!

Posted: 23 October 2013 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  214
Joined  2003-10-09

You can open/save files and render in 10.8 but all the Bryce specific Editors crash. Do I understand that you’re able to get some of the editors to work under 10.9? That would be great, especially getting to the presets.

Posted: 23 October 2013 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2005-05-10

I have also updated to Mavericks and yes I’m now able to start Bryce 7 Pro
No problem opening all the editors

But then often crashes

Ok, not very good but on the earlier OS X version I had given up because even trying to start Bryce was not possible anymore
So definitely something has changed, because of the OS X update

Posted: 23 October 2013 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  308
Joined  2005-09-28

Hi, Grinch here.

This is an interesting footnote to Bryce’s defunct status, but I don’t think it’s a message of hope. It’s what I’d associate with running an alternating current through a corpse and witnessing limbs twitch.

Signature 

Oroboros Presents… KEY-FLAME: Bryce Animation Tutorials

Posted: 23 October 2013 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2006-03-28

Hi guys,

Dan, as the sticky above proclaims, I was unable to run the program in neither 10.7 or 10.8??? Guess you were lucky in that respect….....?

As for current functionality (still only from my MBP);

Wireframe view manipulation, render settings, sky & fog settings are all stable. Moving, rotating and creating objects is as well.

The sky & fog, tree and material labs run with no problems. I haven’t fiddled much with the motion lab yet but it opens and doesn’t crash upon exit…......

So far all but two of the presets I have tried (one sky and one material) have caused the program to crash upon clicking the tick.

Also, the Bryce colour palette (wherever used) seems to pick random colours regardless of where the pointer actually is…....

As for more advanced functionality, I haven’t had a chance to do an extensive fiddle yet.

Oroboros,

It’s what I’d associate with running an alternating current through a corpse and witnessing limbs twitch.

Hahaha! Love the analogy…...  I find a high amp direct current really gets those limbs flying!! :-p   So perhaps my newer, stronger, faster iMac will beat it into submission? One can hope!

Posted: 23 October 2013 06:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  214
Joined  2003-10-09

Thanks Ricard, appreciate the info. I forgot that I’d installed Bryce under 10.6. thats why it worked for me in later versions (at least I think that’s what it was).
I usually wait for the first dot update but I may have to go ahead and get it…

Posted: 23 October 2013 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2006-03-28

Hey Dan,

No worries!

I completely agree about the .x updates but, as it is free, I just couldn’t help myself!

Bed time for me here (2:30am! downer zzzz ), I’ll post my results of a more extensive play from the iMac tomorrow.

Posted: 28 October 2013 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2007-07-27

The improvement is presumably because OSX 10.9 has changed the way that the Mac deals with applications that take over the whole screen (according to notes I’ve read on the web).

OSX 10.8 does some very odd things when I switch out of Zbrush and back which is another application that takes over the screen. I’d rather stay as I am for the moment though as I’m reading an increasing list of small but worrying problems under OSX 10.9 with a variety of applications including earlier version of the Adobe applications which I use all the time.

Posted: 28 October 2013 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2006-03-28

Hi Jon,

Please specify what you’ve heard. I’ve been out of the loop over the last few days (due to other commitments).

Also, the testing on the iMac has hit a wall…..... I have had to instal Bryce fresh (as didn’t see the point given it wouldn’t work under ML) and it crashes when I try to enter my serial….........

I guess my hopeful optimism was unfounded…...

Such a shame as I really hate using (sh**y) windowz 7 for my Bryce requirements….....

Let it be know (DAZ!!!!) that Bryce™ was a Mac application that was ported to Windowz….... Don’t dismiss your true, loyal customer base by leaving this software to rot, put some effort in! I didn’t spend hundreds of pounds on this product just to be left out in the cold!!!! CAPITO!?

Posted: 29 October 2013 04:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2006-02-25

Let it be know (DAZ!!!!) that Bryce™ was a Mac application that was ported to Windowz….... Don’t dismiss your true, loyal customer base by leaving this software to rot, put some effort in! I didn’t spend hundreds of pounds on this product just to be left out in the cold!!!! CAPITO!?

Please, MAC users, copy and paste this message till Daz update Bryce to be use on our MAC ( with Mavericks OS )

Posted: 29 October 2013 04:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  308
Joined  2005-09-28
Yannich - 29 October 2013 04:11 AM

Please, MAC users, copy and paste this message till Daz update Bryce to be use on our MAC ( with Mavericks OS )

Do this, and it’s likely you’ll be restricted from using the forum.

This is a user help forum, not a line to DAZ 3D, nor Facebook.

Signature 

Oroboros Presents… KEY-FLAME: Bryce Animation Tutorials

Posted: 29 October 2013 04:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-02-25

So, please, help me to use my paid software on my Mac . Thank you .

Posted: 29 October 2013 05:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16733
Joined  2003-10-09

Unfortunately nothing has changed since I made this post http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/19948/

In particular this part

# A member of the DAZ 3D Management Team did say, a while back, that working on getting Bryce 7 to work with the newer OS Xs will be a priority when Bryce enters the dev cycle again.

As Oroboros has said to keep posting this into the forum will just end up with the posts being removed as spamming the forum

The idea of having a sticky post on the subject was to avoid this sort of repetition.

When things do change then the sticky post will be updated.

We are all fighting to keep Bryce alive and vibrant, but this needs to be done the right way.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        November Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 29 October 2013 05:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-02-25

O.K

Posted: 30 October 2013 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2006-03-28

Hi all,

I do appreciate that ranting here is pretty pointless, I just needed to vent after spending hours trying to get Bryce to work on my iMac…

Chohole, do we have any idea when Bryce could enter a new dev cycle???

Posted: 30 October 2013 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16733
Joined  2003-10-09

Sorry, no we don’t.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        November Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

1 of 3