I picked up a couple of items that were on sale/special offer (the Unshaven Body Hair for Genesis, and the Steam Aircraft Dragon), and I’ve been unable to download them; in fact, I’ve had to reset the downloads several times to no avail.
Every time, and this happens in both Firefox and Chrome, the download gets part way then stalls and won’t continue. Firefox comes up with an error along the lines of “[Filename] could not be downloaded because the source file could not be read.”
Are there some server issues going on? I’ve not had a problem downloading from elsewhere, and have bought downloadable items from other sites with no trouble, so I don’t think it’s on my end.
When a download has started. what ever part has already downloaded will be in your cache. So once you have had a download fail clear the cache befroe attempting to download again, as otherwise it will keep stalling at roughly the same place in the download.
Anyway, I’ve cleared the browser cache, and the file downloads just stall at a different point. This is on both Chrome and Firefox, latest versions.
It’s been like this for a week now and I haven’t had trouble downloading from any other site, even files of several hundred meg. Given that I’ve not had problems anywhere else, this would lead me to think it’s something wrong with Daz’s site, and there’s stuff I need to download for contests I want to enter that have a deadline.
I’ve had a support ticket sitting there but nothing’s apparently been done. I can’t download ANY of the content I’ve paid for.
Nah, no download accellerator here. I’m not sure if it still says not to use them on the downloads page, but I remember that being a notice on the old site. Not that I tend to use them anyway, but still.
Puzzled why the downloads invariably stall, at seemingly random points. Maybe a network error somewhere between here and Daz? I’ll see if I can do a tracert but there’s not likely to be much anyone can do if there’s a problem at some midpoint.
It is really very strange. I have prurchased and downloaded several items today, including one which was 99mb, and I am using a rather elderly and underpowered machine and live in a part of the UK where the broadband is not all that brrlliant 1mb/s if I am lucky.
Are you sure it isn’t your ISP? My downloads are only taking about 10 sec each.
Actually I had called them to check, and no it’s not them. Nothing wrong with their connections, etc. I know a downed powerline can wreak havoc with these things though and quite possible there’s still one to fix “someplace” south of the border. [presumably my ISP would know of any north of]
When I get a slow down it is usually a general slowdown on everything, not just on downloading. As I said I am in an area where the broadband is not of the best quality.
Have you tried resetting your router or modem. I had a real slowdown a couple of days ago, and I reset my modem and then forced a reset on my IP as well., having first checked with my ISP that there were no known issues in my area.
I have a dynamic IP. I have to admit I am not sure if you can do a similar forced IP change on a static IP., but this did speed my internet connection up on everything.
The problem is in the cache provider. If you are able to get the file down fast enough you won’t have a problem. As an example, I was trying to download “Ashley for M5” which is in the 195M range. On a standard DSL it would crap out at anywhere from 65-120M. This was on several (7 to be exact) ISPs and Providers in several cities on seven different computers running OS’s ranging from Windows through MacOS to Linux. I went though 2 reset series. On the last attempt I used an ultra-high speed connection and was able to download the file on the first try.
It seems that the refresh time on the cache provider is not long enough for larger file sizes. If you happen to hit the refresh interval during your download, it will end. Sometimes it will act as if it is the end of the file (no error), sometimes you will get a failure that the file no longer exists at the source, and sometimes you will get a timeout.
Apparently they started using Cloudflare to help with other issues and for a lot of people it has just made it worse. I’ve been trying to download the beta of 4.5 for 4 days now with no luck. I even tried Taozen’s downloader thingy and just get errors like this: ERROR!: -2146232800 = System.IO.IOException: Received an unexpected EOF or 0 bytes from the transport stream. at System.Net.ConnectStream.Read(Byte buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size) at ContentDownloaderDAZ.frmMain.DownloadFile() - file not saved