Digital Art Zone

3 of 5
Are Dreamlight products compatibles with DAZStudio 4 ?
Posted: 05 July 2012 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2183
Joined  2012-02-04

I noticed that most of Dreamlight’s items vanished from the store… I can’t get the thumbnail image for my La Piazza Realistic Mediterranean Town meta data any more. :(

Maybe it is just a temporary fluke in the process of taking them off sale, like when the PC items go back to regular price before going back to $1.99. I would have guessed that maybe they got so many complaints about things not working in DAZ 4 that they removed them, but they removed things that DO WORK. Strange. Well, it is the DAZ new store, so strange is the new normal for now.

For your metadata thumbnail you could look on the Dreamlight website. Maybe you will find it there. Otherwise, just render the scene in a small PNG and use that. I’ve done that before to create thumbnails.

Posted: 09 July 2012 05:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2008-04-12
barbult - 05 July 2012 12:28 PM

Well, it is the DAZ new store, so strange is the new normal for now.

This made me laugh. :)

I’ll look into the Dreamlight website. Thank you for the help.

Signature 

since 23 Feb 2012

Posted: 09 July 2012 08:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  787
Joined  2005-09-19

While there are obviously issues with Dreamlight plugins in DS4, I’m still regularly using Light Dome Pro 2 setups in DS4 by creating them in DS3, saving them off and then loading the scene in DS4 to add figures to. You lose the LDP2 controls, but can still access the lights as normal DS lights. It’s a little bit more of a faff, but LDP2 isn’t completely lost to you if you have a DS3 installation, or even just some saved scenes.

Posted: 12 July 2012 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  338
Joined  2004-03-03
DWG - 09 July 2012 08:53 AM

While there are obviously issues with Dreamlight plugins in DS4, I’m still regularly using Light Dome Pro 2 setups in DS4 by creating them in DS3, saving them off and then loading the scene in DS4 to add figures to. You lose the LDP2 controls, but can still access the lights as normal DS lights. It’s a little bit more of a faff, but LDP2 isn’t completely lost to you if you have a DS3 installation, or even just some saved scenes.

My approach to making use of LDP2 in DS4 has been a little different. I loaded it up in DS3, then exported the skydome as an obj, reimported it and saved it as a prop. Then (in DS3) I went through each of the LDP2 sets, and for each saved the skydome material as a material preset and (just) the sun light as a light preset.

In DS4 I just load the skydome prop, and apply the material preset and matching sun light preset - parenting the sun distant light to the skydome if I want to rotate the sky so the sun stays in the right place for the texture (as it would be in LDP2). I also load a UE2 light, and set that to IDL (bouncelight). The UE2 light, working off the ambient on the skydome, gives the ambient and skylight effects without all tthe actual sky and ambient lights in the actual LDP2 when in DS2 or 3. Works pretty well. In fact using IDL rather than all those many tens of ambient and sky lights is both neater and arguably gives a better result.

It was a bit of a pain spending an evening saving all the skydome material presets and matching sunlight presets, but having done it it’s now easy and quick to use. I am, however, very unimpressed by the PA’s own support for this product. Not having yet made the plugin DS4.5 compatible until the actual release and the definitive 4.5 SDK is perfectly reasonabe; not having made a DS4 version in the entire year after the DS4 release is not, in my opinion. Especially given the PAs frenetic activity in emailing people on his mailing lists usually more than once a day every day trying to entice buying yet more training products, I find his not having spent the time to produce a DS4 update of LDP2 quite inexcusable. He is very unlikely to get any more of my money, and certainly not for anything - like a plugin - that will need future support.

Posted: 12 July 2012 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2006-09-05
DavidGB - 12 July 2012 01:47 PM

I am, however, very unimpressed by the PA’s own support for this product. ... Especially given the PAs frenetic activity in emailing people on his mailing lists usually more than once a day every day trying to entice buying yet more training products, I find his not having spent the time to produce a DS4 update of LDP2 quite inexcusable. He is very unlikely to get any more of my money, and certainly not for anything - like a plugin - that will need future support.

He inundated my inbox with ads for his other unrelated businesses until I threatened to report him under Sweden’s data protection laws. I think he’s essentially moved on from 3D. I hope I’m wrong and that he’ll return with updates, though, because he really does know lighting inside and out!

Posted: 30 July 2012 07:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  382
Joined  2003-10-09

So there’s most probably no update for Light Dome Pro 2? I’m waiting for over a year now since I don’t have DS3 installed anymore.

Well maybe it would be a very good idea to mention on the product page that it’s not compatible with DS 4 and DS 4.5. - under additional information there’s a big N/A next to compatible software. Very uncool.

Signature 

My DAZ Store
SqueeZings - Poses for Squee
Cool & Sexy - Poses for Stephanie 5
MoveS for Hitomi
FaerieWylde

Posted: 21 September 2012 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-02-01

Hi, I contacted Dreamlight today and below is part of the reply I received.  Not what I wanted to here, but at least it answers a few questions.

Dreamlight still develops 3D props, light sets and online training, and will offer a real store option in near future.

Due to the issues we had with plug in development in the past, with code being broken with each DS version—I’ve put similar products on hold.

Dreamlight will resume plug in development in near future, but there are no dates set.

Posted: 21 September 2012 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  388
Joined  2003-10-09
hotlicks - 21 September 2012 01:18 PM

Hi, I contacted Dreamlight today and below is part of the reply I received.  Not what I wanted to here, but at least it answers a few questions.

Dreamlight still develops 3D props, light sets and online training, and will offer a real store option in near future.

Due to the issues we had with plug in development in the past, with code being broken with each DS version—I’ve put similar products on hold.

Dreamlight will resume plug in development in near future, but there are no dates set.

That just says to me avoid Dreamlight from now, though DS comes with some good light settings so it wont be missed this end.

Signature 

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/101

Posted: 24 September 2012 02:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5595
Joined  2006-02-20
Sal UK - 21 September 2012 01:58 PM
hotlicks - 21 September 2012 01:18 PM

That just says to me avoid Dreamlight from now, though DS comes with some good light settings so it wont be missed this end.

Right - because there are vendors who are doing updates to their products. I prefer to buy their products.

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?

Posted: 24 September 2012 03:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2005-05-01

Here’s a fun bit…think they’‘ll send me the update to thier software?? I won the lifetime contest with…. *Image*

I cant get into their page and nothing is updated…

remember folks… when ya win a contest here, what they offer is only as good til they dont want to agree to it…

Image Attachments
Vulcan_Main_Blur_tiny.jpg

Posted: 24 September 2012 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1734
Joined  2012-04-14

Wow that picture is amazing. How did you do that?
Miss B may be able to help you get in touch with Dreamlight.

Posted: 24 September 2012 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7656
Joined  2009-05-14
anikad - 24 September 2012 04:43 PM

Wow that picture is amazing. How did you do that?
Miss B may be able to help you get in touch with Dreamlight.

Motion Blur in DS4.5 maybe?? Just guessing

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 24 September 2012 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1163
Joined  2006-04-16

What I wanna know is if the Product “Motion Master for DAZ Studio” will work in DS4.5 pro. I really want that, but if it doesn’t work, I won’t touch it.

Signature 

Genesis is head & shoulders above “Genesis 2” (or better known as BF2/BM2) and is the FAR superior figure. Why? It doesn’t suffer from the UN-necessary gender split

My DeviantArt Page.

ULTIMATE SUPER-HERO FREEBIES!

The Supersuit product comes with a Basic Supersuit. DAZ has finally fixed it’s UV’s. Re-Download now to receive the update. Thanks DAZ! smile

Posted: 24 September 2012 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7656
Joined  2009-05-14

It will not work in DS4 or 4.5

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 24 September 2012 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1163
Joined  2006-04-16

Thanks for answering so quickly Szark. smile

That sucks that it won’t work. Really frustrating that Dreamlight won’t bother to update his products to work with the current version of D/S

cool mad

Signature 

Genesis is head & shoulders above “Genesis 2” (or better known as BF2/BM2) and is the FAR superior figure. Why? It doesn’t suffer from the UN-necessary gender split

My DeviantArt Page.

ULTIMATE SUPER-HERO FREEBIES!

The Supersuit product comes with a Basic Supersuit. DAZ has finally fixed it’s UV’s. Re-Download now to receive the update. Thanks DAZ! smile

3 of 5