Posted: 16 October 2013 12:37 AM   [ Ignore ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5200
Joined  2005-04-16

OLD Thread HERE http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/29012/

M F M - 16 October 2013 12:05 AM
DanaTA - 15 October 2013 11:32 PM

...I just got several security updates for XP two nights ago.  They are still finding holes.  In April, they stop looking.  But you can be sure the hackers won’t stop looking.

Hackers will only keep looking while the “critical mass” of machines online is there - random wiki page tells me that “Windows XP market share is now down to ~33% of systems, having been overtaken by Win7 machines in August 2012”.  Hackers don’t have infinite time (or resources, or luck) - they’re looking to affect the widest range of machines they can in the shortest time (before somebody else finds the exploit, or MS or the application writers plug the problem).

Older systems generally don’t warrant as much attention as newer systems (how many virus scares have you seen for OpenVMS?) - the largest set of active systems is the one you want to spend your time poking and prodding on (especially if it involves new tools, new services, new drivers/applets etc).  With everybody being dragged kicking and screaming into the 64-bit era (minus those who can’t afford it of course), WinXP will start getting ignored in favour of the current status quo (Win7/Win8/Linux).  Let’s put it this way - would you prefer to spend your time analysing and investigating all these wonderful new flaws in “cloud” based systems (Adobe) and automatic updaters (it takes just one of those auto-updater servers to be compromised, and then you’ve got arbitrary code operating in your machine) and background services, or would you prefer to continue spending effort on “old” systems that are dying away?

A few final thoughts - if after 12 years holes are still being found, how many of those holes are in “already patched” components? how many of these “holes” are manufactured by AV companies to scare people into buying their products (or to prove that ‘their’ product is better than the others)?  what hope does this give for a brand new shiny OS, if after over a decade they still didn’t get it right?

Sorry, statistics can be deceiving.  33% is still one third of systems.  How many computers do you think are out there?  Just in the US, never mind other countries.  33% of one thousand computers isn’t bad…just 330 computers.  But there are millions of systems out there.  And actually, a statistic I read just earlier today says there are 42% of systems still on XP.  So, the number varies depending on who is doing the research.  If there were 1 million users of computers, that would be 330,000 computers to hack.  If they could get personal info, passwords, financial data, from that many computers…well, let’s just say it this way…if they got $10 for each system hacked…that would be $3.3 Million.  That seems to be enough motive to keep hacking XP.  And I guarantee that there are a lot more than one million boxes in this country alone.  In fact, there are over 300 Million!  So, one third of that is 100 Million.  A dollar from each one and I’d be very happy and set for life.  cool cheese 

Any system that has millions upon millions of lines of code will have vulnerabilities.  It’s inevitable.  No piece of complex software is exempt, especially not an OS.  Any OS.

Dana

Image Attachments
PC_Users.jpg
 Signature 

Old post count: 7511

Posted: 16 October 2013 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-16
Rezca - 16 October 2013 12:32 AM

On the topic of snakes, anything larger than a Ball Python I’d be uncomfortable being close to.  From a distance cool, but not up close.  Ball/Royal pythons seem to be the best choice since they’re 1:  Cute,  2: Very easily tamed, 3: Highly friendly - especially for reptiles, 4: cuuuute, 5: pretty close to harmless - except for to pet mice wink

I always wanted to get one, but there’s no way I could care for one when there’s no easy method of acquiring food for it where I live :(

The size of that thing in the hand indicates that it’s not harmless, it could easily strangle someone.  The friendliest of pets can turn in an instant, and often do.  I can’t count how many times I’ve heard someone on the news say, “It was very friendly, never bothered anyone…until now.”  Pit bulls, pythons, tigers.  Especially when it comes to creatures that really belong in the wild, and in a different geological area, the friendly thing can go away in a heartbeat. 

Dana

Signature 

Posted: 16 October 2013 12:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

DanaT feel free to CHANGE the Name of the thread, its yours this time.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 16 October 2013 12:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-16

Wow, I was the first poster on page 101 and I didn’t even realize it!  I think the title is fine.

Dana

Signature 

Posted: 16 October 2013 12:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1160
Joined  2006-08-31

Congrats on post#1 (^_^)/.

Amusing to see that Australia and Canada have no computer use wink (gotta love statistics X).  “If they could get personal info, passwords, financial data, from that many computers…” I think we have a different idea of “hacking”.  You’re referring to identity theft and monetary gain - I was thinking of botnets, unlicensed software, and reformatting your HD.

OpenBSD

‘nuff said.

Signature 

Previous post count: 2678 Downloads Hightide Mark: 1708

Posted: 16 October 2013 12:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-16
Jaderail - 16 October 2013 12:52 AM

Oops, cross posted.  I’m amazed.  When I had an idea for a title, I couldn’t get that first post on page 101.  I think this title is fine, though, since it is in line with the content of my post.

I bet this will never happen again.  Especially not if I try!  LOL

Dana

Signature 

Posted: 16 October 2013 12:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-31
DanaTA - 16 October 2013 12:55 AM

Oops, cross posted.  I’m amazed.  When I had an idea for a title, I couldn’t get that first post on page 101.  I think this title is fine, though, since it is in line with the content of my post.

Weellllll, we’ll just have to make sure to get into an indepth discussion at the end of this thread too wink.

Signature 

Posted: 16 October 2013 12:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2024
Joined  2008-01-02
DanaTA - 16 October 2013 12:43 AM
Rezca - 16 October 2013 12:32 AM

On the topic of snakes, anything larger than a Ball Python I’d be uncomfortable being close to.  From a distance cool, but not up close.  Ball/Royal pythons seem to be the best choice since they’re 1:  Cute,  2: Very easily tamed, 3: Highly friendly - especially for reptiles, 4: cuuuute, 5: pretty close to harmless - except for to pet mice wink

I always wanted to get one, but there’s no way I could care for one when there’s no easy method of acquiring food for it where I live :(

The size of that thing in the hand indicates that it’s not harmless, it could easily strangle someone.  The friendliest of pets can turn in an instant, and often do.  I can’t count how many times I’ve heard someone on the news say, “It was very friendly, never bothered anyone…until now.”  Pit bulls, pythons, tigers.  Especially when it comes to creatures that really belong in the wild, and in a different geological area, the friendly thing can go away in a heartbeat. 

Dana

Well since he’s had it it’s only bitten him once (as a baby) and has never squeezed him or anyone else at all - even total strangers. Yes, I know reptiles are very prone to suddenly deciding “I don’t want to be friendly anymore”, but still.

Kelen (the owner of Squeasar) is a VERY responsible and knowlidgable snake-owner. I don’t think I’ve met anyone (who isn’t a professional) who knows more about caring for and handling snakes than he does ^^

But yeah…  I know that pets of all kinds can “turn mean” very quickly…
Mmmh, the part you mentioned about the news would probably get my friend ranting about irresponsible snake owners and stuff ^^;

Oooh new thread? :O

Signature 

Former owner of 9,600+ posts.
404 Raptor not Found. Additionally, an error has occured while trying to display this error message. Please contact your dromaeosaur provider and reboot your raptor.
My gallery~  http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/5858

Posted: 16 October 2013 01:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-16
M F M - 16 October 2013 12:54 AM

Amusing to see that Australia has no computer use wink.

OpenBSD

‘nuff said.

Only two that were found!  If their share in the OS market goes up, they become more attractive to the hackers.  That’s how it’s been all along, and I think even you alluded to that fact. 

Because nobody seems to go for the goat meat stew at the buffet doesn’t mean it’s not tasty.  (I actually had that once and it was indeed tasty)

Firefox was the subject of people who bashed IE for it’s security flaws.  It lasted a long time.  But as it got more popular, hackers started looking at it.  Now there are security updates for it all the time.  I stand by my earlier statement…no complex software is immune or exempt.

Dana

Signature 

Posted: 16 October 2013 01:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-16

Amusing to see that Australia and Canada have no computer use wink

Well, I don’t think it was saying they have no computer use…this was only the Top 10 countries with the most PCs in use.  They were probably just out of the running…though I could be wrong, maybe they have better things to do. 

Nah!  They were probably 11 and 12.  LOL 

Dana

Signature 

Posted: 16 October 2013 01:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-31
DanaTA - 16 October 2013 01:03 AM

OpenBSD

‘nuff said.

Only two that were found!  If their share in the OS market goes up, they become more attractive to the hackers.  That’s how it’s been all along, and I think even you alluded to that fact. 

Because nobody seems to go for the goat meat stew at the buffet doesn’t mean it’s not tasty.  (I actually had that once and it was indeed tasty)

Firefox was the subject of people who bashed IE for it’s security flaws.  It lasted a long time.  But as it got more popular, hackers started looking at it.  Now there are security updates for it all the time.  I stand by my earlier statement…no complex software is immune or exempt.

mmmm… goat curry at the local Nepalese restaurant :9.  Oh, and I agree 100% with your statement regarding the challenges of creating “secure” complex software.  Heck, even creating _functional_ (and documented…) complex software is a challenge… >_<.

Signature 

Posted: 16 October 2013 01:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-16
M F M - 16 October 2013 12:58 AM
DanaTA - 16 October 2013 12:55 AM

Weellllll, we’ll just have to make sure to get into an indepth discussion at the end of this thread too wink.

That might work.  Hehe.

Dana

Signature 

Posted: 16 October 2013 01:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-16
M F M - 16 October 2013 01:06 AM
DanaTA - 16 October 2013 01:03 AM

OpenBSD

‘nuff said.

mmmm… goat curry at the local Nepalese restaurant :9.  Oh, and I agree 100% with your statement regarding the challenges of creating “secure” complex software.  Heck, even creating _functional_ (and documented…) complex software is a challenge… >_<.

I’m a programmer, and you’ve got that right!

Dana

Signature 

Posted: 16 October 2013 01:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-16

When I had that goat meat stew it was at an Indian buffet, in Cambridge MA.  I don’t know that they called it stew, but that’s what it was.  The meat reminded me of lamb…which I haven’t had in a long time.

Dana

Signature 

Posted: 16 October 2013 01:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6034
Joined  2003-10-09

wendy♥catz - 16 October 2013 02:09 AM
not fond of snakes since one killed my cat yesterday,

So sorry to hear about this, Wendy. I had read that Australia is home to some of the most venomous snakes in the world.
I lost my cat and dog to age this year. Sympathies and hugs.

Signature 

My Renderosity Gallery - My DAZ Gallery - My ShareCG Freebies
“I hope that after I die, people will say of me: ‘That guy sure owed me a lot of money.’” - Jack Handey

Posted: 16 October 2013 02:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2024
Joined  2008-01-02

Goat meat stew?  I don’t think I’ve ever had anything other than chicken and beef… Nothing exotic ever… Except for one time I had eel smile

Signature 

Former owner of 9,600+ posts.
404 Raptor not Found. Additionally, an error has occured while trying to display this error message. Please contact your dromaeosaur provider and reboot your raptor.
My gallery~  http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/5858

1 of 100