Digital Art Zone

Can’t install characters for Genesis/V5
Posted: 15 October 2013 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2003-10-09

Hi. I have DAZ Studio, Genesis, Evolution Body & Head Morphs, and Victoria 5 installed. I’m trying to install characters like Tori and Gabi for V5, but every time I try, I get the following:

“Tori for V5” is an add-on for “DAZ Studio 4 (Genesis), Genesis Evolution: Body Morphs, Genesis Evolution: Head Morphs, Victoria 5” and they must be installed in the same location.
Please choose a different install location or install the required products first.

I install all of my stuff to C:\Users\Jimmy\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library, which I believe is the default location.

I’ve tried installing/reinstalling all of the required products to this location, but it’s the same result every time.
Is there something I’m doing wrong, or some other way around this or to `force’ an install…?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Posted: 15 October 2013 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15747
Joined  2003-10-09

Try getting a fresh download - I would have thought you had the required products, but the original installers did have a problem in the product they checked for. If you use the Install Manager you shouldn’t have any problems, or you can manually unzip and move the files and folders from the Content folder into the My Library folder.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 15 October 2013 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2003-10-09
Richard Haseltine - 15 October 2013 12:07 PM

Try getting a fresh download - I would have thought you had the required products, but the original installers did have a problem in the product they checked for. If you use the Install Manager you shouldn’t have any problems, or you can manually unzip and move the files and folders from the Content folder into the My Library folder.

Sorry, kind of a nub here… How do I use the Install Manager to install files I’ve already downloaded? Or can you only use it to re-download files you’ve already downloaded…?

More importantly, how do you manually unzip and move the files and folders? That sounds like it’d be brilliant! thx!

Posted: 15 October 2013 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7979
Joined  2006-03-19

Just download the files with DIM. Go to your downloads folder that you are pointing DIM to and unzip as you normally would. You will need to take the files out of the extra content folder

Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Ravenwood Cemetery*****  

Posted: 15 October 2013 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2003-10-09
Frank0314 - 15 October 2013 12:22 PM

Just download the files with DIM. Go to your downloads folder that you are pointing DIM to and unzip as you normally would. You will need to take the files out of the extra content folder

So when DIM downloads content, it downloads them as zip files instead of exe? Is there no way to extract from the exe’s (or, like I said, `force’ the exe to install…) so I don’t have to redownload everything…?

Posted: 15 October 2013 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-19

.exe’s were done away with. You can either download from your product library or from DIM but it will be in zip in both places

Signature 

Posted: 15 October 2013 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2003-10-09
Frank0314 - 15 October 2013 12:32 PM

.exe’s were done away with. You can either download from your product library or from DIM but it will be in zip in both places

Well, that’s more than a little disconcerting. (For the now-obsolete exe files obviously, not the zip files moving forward.) There should at least be a way to `override’ the exe’s now or extract them in a another way without being forced to redownload everything, especially if they’ve been rendered obsolete.

Ah well. Thanks anyway.

Posted: 15 October 2013 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-19

Do you plan on using the My Library folder or the DIM default Library? It is strongly suggested that you use hte default location. If you install over previous installs (however unlikely) it may cause issues with your content

Signature 

Posted: 15 October 2013 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2003-10-09
Frank0314 - 15 October 2013 12:59 PM

Do you plan on using the My Library folder or the DIM default Library? It is strongly suggested that you use hte default location. If you install over previous installs (however unlikely) it may cause issues with your content

Well, I’ve been trying to look into it, and from what I’m understanding, by default, content used to install to:
C:\Users\Jimmy\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library
But now DIM extracts to:
C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D

So correct me if I’m wrong, but it’s starting to sound like not only am I going to have to redownload all of the exe installers that won’t install because they’re unable to locate already installed content properly, but if I want to use DIM, it’s highly recommended that I redownload ALL of my content in order to have it reinstalled to the new default directory…

Posted: 15 October 2013 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-19

DIM installs to C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library unless you change it.  If you want DIM to notify you of any updates that may occur then you’ll need to re-download everything

Signature 

Posted: 15 October 2013 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16403
Joined  2009-01-22

The point I think has been over looked is this. The Figures your trying to install needed the Updated versions of the files you owned. They are not only updated but also only in zip format now. Without updating your older files your not going to be able to install those newer character files. Exe is simply no longer a option as DAZ 3D has gone to the industry standard of Zip for content just like most other content providers.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt