4 of 5
Guides to Daz Studio
Posted: 17 October 2013 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  220
Joined  2005-05-06
SimonJM - 17 October 2013 07:10 AM

Good luck with your book, Paolo!

Thank you Simon. And yes, this is exactly the book that I wish I had when I started.

Cheers.

Signature 

Paolo/Pret-a-3D
Reality for DAZ Studio
http://pinterest.com/preta3d/boards/
http://www.facebook.com/RealityPlugIn
http://twitter.com/preta3d
https://plus.google.com/106625816153304163119

Posted: 17 October 2013 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  761
Joined  2012-02-12
fixme12 - 17 October 2013 02:59 AM
Frank0314 - 16 October 2013 01:58 PM

An even bigger portion uses 3DSMax

not for long anymore, autodesk wil stop updates february 2015 wink

I think you’re mistaken. I don’t see them killing one of their major Apps like that. Isn’t it rather their strategy to get customers from old buying strategy to subscription system? => http://www.cgchannel.com/2013/10/autodesk-to-discontinue-software-upgrades/

Signature 

My Deviant Art

Posted: 17 October 2013 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4547
Joined  2004-08-11

Never mind..

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 17 October 2013 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7723
Joined  2006-03-19

They are going to a cloud service like Adobe is going to, so it won’t be stopped. You pay a monthly fee and can get updates forever.

Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Mad Chemistry Lab*****  

Posted: 17 October 2013 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11246
Joined  2007-11-06
Mattymanx - 17 October 2013 07:28 AM

It should not matter really what modeling program is used in the book.  Just because Hexagon and Carrara are owned by DAZ3D does not mean they sould be used or need to be used in content creation.  What you should gain from the modeling section of the book, not that I have seen it, is an idea of what you can do with the mesh more so then the specific steps taken in the program to do them.  All modeling programs share the basics for mesh editing so its just a matter of thinking it through via the program of your choice.  If you are new to modeling then you may need to spend a bit more time with written and video tutorials geared to learning the application and its tools before tackeling a large project like making clothes so that you dont get yourself overwelmed trying to translate between two programs.

...exactly my point why using a 30 day demo is not enough time for most people who have other responsibilities.  There should at least be mention of these concepts working in other more affordable (and more intuitive) modelling software like Hexagon, Wings, and Silo if this is targeted to newcomers.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 17 October 2013 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1164
Joined  2003-12-16

The book is The Complete Guide to Daz Studio, not The Complete Guide to Model Content For Use In Daz Studio. 30 days is long enough for a reader to perform the necessary steps in the modeler provided and apply it to the modeler of their choice with software that has an historic connection to these models, in fact if someone was fluent in the modeler of their choice they could probably perform the steps applied to their modeler without having to install Modo. As intuitive as Hex may be some users 3dpipeline it’s an unstable trainwreck of long forgotten zombieware in the real world.

this is sado-equestri necrophilia thus far.

Signature 

Gravy to potatoes, Luke to Darth Vader, I’m a souped up sucker and I’ll see you all later

Posted: 17 October 2013 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  293
Joined  2005-08-25
Takeo.Kensei - 17 October 2013 09:36 AM

I think you’re mistaken. I don’t see them killing one of their major Apps like that. Isn’t it rather their strategy to get customers from old buying strategy to subscription system? => http://www.cgchannel.com/2013/10/autodesk-to-discontinue-software-upgrades/

that’s for many, what the end of software is = subscription systems.
that also means the end of Adobe and soon Autodesk.

you have to be nuts, paying $50 or €60 a month to use just software.

no thx, then it’s long live opensource “Welcome Blender”.

Signature 

DAZSTUDIO FUTURE REQUESTS - CLICK ME TO JOIN
Feel free to join, sign and vote for dazstudio future improvements.
(620 users and still counting up to 1000) would like to see improvements, and you?

What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Posted: 17 October 2013 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  706
Joined  2003-10-09
anikad - 13 October 2013 01:58 PM

Does anyone know of any guides to Daz Studio other than the official guide: figures, characters and avatars? Thanks. I’ve got a couple of Dreamlight’s videos but I really prefer reading and I’m not a fan of the unfinished wiki.

It’s been my observation that “wiki” is unfinished by definition.  So in that respect they’re right on target! 8-0

My opinion is that a wiki is the absolute worst way to document a product like this.  It may eventually tell you how to start and stop the application but everything else in the middle is anybody’s guess.

I’ve kvetched about lack of accurate documentation for years.  So much so that I wore out that part of my brain.  If you’re waiting for real documentation don’t hold your breath, the target moves so fast that nobody could keep up with it.  We’ve all pretty much learned to fly by the seat of our pants and cry in our beer at commiseration parties while trading pointers to tidbits of info.

Signature 

I’m sooo confused…  I’ve come to grasp a little of the nature of reality and the answer to life, the universe, and everything.  I even have an inkling as to who and what I am. Auuummmmm…
But please, please, who the hell are you?  And why are you trampling my roses?

Posted: 17 October 2013 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1753
Joined  2012-04-14
LeatherGryphon - 17 October 2013 03:47 PM
anikad - 13 October 2013 01:58 PM

Does anyone know of any guides to Daz Studio other than the official guide: figures, characters and avatars? Thanks. I’ve got a couple of Dreamlight’s videos but I really prefer reading and I’m not a fan of the unfinished wiki.

It’s been my observation that “wiki” is unfinished by definition.  So in that respect they’re right on target! 8-0

My opinion is that a wiki is the absolute worst way to document a product like this.  It may eventually tell you how to start and stop the application but everything else in the middle is anybody’s guess.

I’ve kvetched about lack of accurate documentation for years.  So much so that I wore out that part of my brain.  If you’re waiting for real documentation don’t hold your breath, the target moves so fast that nobody could keep up with it.  We’ve all pretty much learned to fly by the seat of our pants and cry in our beer at commiseration parties while trading pointers to tidbits of info.

Daz_jared said up-thread that there is a userguide (pdf version available) due in November. Even gave us a sneak peak.

DAZ_jared - 16 October 2013 12:20 PM

So here is a sneak peek from the up coming User Guide for DAZ Studio:

Knowledge Base Article: https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/22468709-DAZ-Studio-User-Guide-Sneak-Peak-Lighting

Direct PDF Download: https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/attachments/token/c6orzkakfv9pxdn/?name=DAZ+Studio+User+Guide+Sneak+Peak.pdf

Just so there is no confusion, the User Guide isn’t a Knowledge Base article, it is an actual .pdf manual.  Some of the hyperlinks in the text may not work since they refer to other chapters in the document that aren’t included in the sneak peak.

Posted: 17 October 2013 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2068
Joined  2005-04-15

As an FYI, I picked up a Kindle version of “The Complete Guide to DAZ Studio 4.”  To prevent redundancy and thread bloat, I left a brief summary here:  http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/30648/P15/#455377

Signature 

“And on the subject of bundles, exactly WHY does the M5 Pro Suite have a V5 DRESS and the Troll in it? Exactly what kind of “pro” IS M5?  Apparently one who likes to dress up in drag and go cruising down in the red light district of lower Middle Earth.”

Posted: 17 October 2013 05:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2795
Joined  2010-11-30

Knowledge Base Article: https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/22468709-DAZ-Studio-User-Guide-Sneak-Peak-Lighting

Direct PDF Download: https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/attachments/token/c6orzkakfv9pxdn/?name=DAZ+Studio+User+Guide+Sneak+Peak.pdf

Just so there is no confusion, the User Guide isn’t a Knowledge Base article, it is an actual .pdf manual.  Some of the hyperlinks in the text may not work since they refer to other chapters in the document that aren’t included in the sneak peak.

Oh, very nice! I noticed a few things in there that I didn’t know previously.

But please get somebody who wasn’t part of the writing team to proofread the text - you’ve got more than a few sentence fragments in there.

Signature 

Rob Kelk (a.k.a. “the guy with all those freebie lists”)

Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki - rather small at the moment, but with big dreams to be the one-stop list for all D|S and Poser freebies

Come take part in the Freebie Challenge!

Posted: 17 October 2013 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2068
Joined  2005-04-15
robkelk - 17 October 2013 05:18 PM

Oh, very nice! I noticed a few things in there that I didn’t know previously.

But please get somebody who wasn’t part of the writing team to proofread the text - you’ve got more than a few sentence fragments in there.

Or at least have someone go through it backwards, one line at a time.  That’s how many professional copy editors work, as it keeps the brain from “filling in” information from previous sentences.

Signature 

“And on the subject of bundles, exactly WHY does the M5 Pro Suite have a V5 DRESS and the Troll in it? Exactly what kind of “pro” IS M5?  Apparently one who likes to dress up in drag and go cruising down in the red light district of lower Middle Earth.”

Posted: 17 October 2013 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  706
Joined  2003-10-09
anikad - 17 October 2013 04:59 PM

Daz_jared said up-thread that there is a userguide (pdf version available) due in November. Even gave us a sneak peak.

Ah… soon! :-s

Signature 

I’m sooo confused…  I’ve come to grasp a little of the nature of reality and the answer to life, the universe, and everything.  I even have an inkling as to who and what I am. Auuummmmm…
But please, please, who the hell are you?  And why are you trampling my roses?

Posted: 18 October 2013 04:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11246
Joined  2007-11-06
StratDragon - 17 October 2013 11:47 AM

The book is The Complete Guide to Daz Studio, not The Complete Guide to Model Content For Use In Daz Studio. 30 days is long enough for a reader to perform the necessary steps in the modeler provided and apply it to the modeler of their choice with software that has an historic connection to these models, in fact if someone was fluent in the modeler of their choice they could probably perform the steps applied to their modeler without having to install Modo. As intuitive as Hex may be some users 3dpipeline it’s an unstable trainwreck of long forgotten zombieware in the real world.

this is sado-equestri necrophilia thus far.

...to be able to deal with thickness and back facing polys, (required for producing clean clothing meshes that can be rigged with the CCTs) no, it is not that “easy” especially if you have other time commitments that get in thew way.  Keep in mind the average new user .who probably has family and other responsibilities that vie with one’s free time, 30 days is not enough to get to the point of being able to design and build clothing meshes that can be sent to Daz Studio to properly rig.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 18 October 2013 06:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  773
Joined  2005-12-12
Richard Haseltine - 17 October 2013 08:46 AM
Barubary - 17 October 2013 08:29 AM

OK, I gotta ask: is the User Guide for DAZ Studio the Mega Price for the PC sale? Because that does indeed seem big enough :D

Didn’t Jared say it would be free?

He did. I was just kidding because, you know, DAZ and manuals… :D

4 of 5