Digital Art Zone

OT: Questions about Blacksmith3D Suite
Posted: 28 June 2012 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  311
Joined  2004-11-12

Blacksmith3D (Blacksmith3D Web Site) is on sale until the 30th, and I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with it, and what they think about it. I’m looking for an app that will aid in the creation of figure texture sets from photos (V4/Genesis), and for making displacement maps. The videos make it look like it would be a great tool for texture creation and for blending textures at the seams. I do wonder just how good the results are. Unfortunately, I can’t afford some of the other options out there (i.e. zbrush), and this seems like it might work. Below are a few additional questions.

1) In reference to texture painting and displacement map creation, how does Blacksmith3D compare to 3D Coat and Blender
2) Does Blacksmith3D support Genesis
3) Does Blacksmith3D support detailed displacement map creation on low poly figures (thinking Genesis and clothing details) similar to the capabilities of zbrush
4) I like the way the 3D bridge between Hexagon and DS works for creating morphs but would be interested in hearing others experiences with morph creation using Blacksmith3D.

Any other comments or general information about Blacksmith3D in general, or compared to other applications would be greatly appreciated.

Signature 

My Rendo Gallery

Posted: 28 June 2012 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  218
Joined  2007-08-20

I have used both the free version and ver. 3.2.
So far it works on any .obj file that will load.
The seamless textures work great, but you must do a little clean up at times on lo-res textures.
I mostly use the paint program, I really haven’t used the high end functions like the modeling part.
And it is a lot cheaper than photoshop.
If you can, grab the free version and give it a spin.
Did you know that Hexagon has a paint program? It seems to work, although I really haven’t used it much.
Just a thought.

Signature 

My DeviantArt page

My freebies on ShareCG

Posted: 28 June 2012 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  311
Joined  2004-11-12

Thanks nitehawk_ltd!

The video demonstrating painting with high resolution photos on the their website really got my attention. The paint tools in Hex are OK for simple things, but definitely don’t seem to come come close the this level of versatility. I’ll probably download the demo tonight and try it out. I don’t think Blender can do anything like this either with the paint tools, but it does have some good displacement painting tools (Hex has some pretty good displacement painting as well).

Signature 

My Rendo Gallery