Then try this as a Fix, It sounds like the Character you are using has a AGE to the texture that loads. In Surfaces look for a Bump or Displacement channel that is set to ON, as in 100% or something, you can turn that setting or settings down or even off and not use them. Just the Skin surface will be used then.
EDIT: A link to what your using would really help us know what is happening.
The only Bump channel that was set high was “Bump Strength” which was set to 100%.
Negative Bump, Postive Bump, Displacement Strength, Minimum Displacement, Maximum Displacement were all set low (-0.10 or 0.10).
I set Bump Strength to zero, but it made no difference.
I tried using OpenGL GLSL for the render, and the render looks exactly like the model in DS. The problem with this is that it is not very good resolution. Increasing the pixel count just make a larger image with the same “Lego block sculpture” look to it.
The problem is with a render from 3Delight.
I would post a screen capture, but the 3Delight takes forever and since the character looks like an old hag, I am not going to wait hours for it to finish just so I can post a screen shot.
I will keep working with it and see if I can solve the problem. I will go back to an unmodified V4.2 model and simply render her and see what she looks like. Maybe the problem is caused by one of the morphs that I applied. If so, I will have to figure out which one causes it.