Digital Art Zone

2 of 7
UberSurface Tutorial
Posted: 23 June 2014 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7603
Joined  2009-05-14

Yes Glossiness pertains to specular, both 1 and 2 and it controls the size of highlight. say 10% will cover most of the surface making it all shiny, 95% will make a focused spot of highlight…this is opposite of the Daz Studio default.

Spec 1 and 2 sharpness controls how sharp the edge of the highlight is.

Spec 2 roughness adds noise (as far as I am aware) but it is one of those things that need confirming.

Diffuse Roughness is also something often overlooked. Increasing the roughness will make the surface react better with high gloss so for smooth metal I usually go for 1.20 - 1.30. For rougher surfaces like cloth I go for 0.80 - 0.90

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 23 June 2014 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  430
Joined  2007-12-20
Sertorial - 23 June 2014 09:28 AM

aah… right. Thanks.

So we have a channel called “glossiness” (which doesn’t seem to be specific to either spec1 or spec2 - so what does it affect?)

Spec 1 has a channel called “sharpness” (but no “roughness”)

Spec2 has a channel called “sharpness” and one called “roughness”

Clear as mud! Can anyone elucidate?

I generally think of sharpness as falloff between the outer area and the inner area of the (specular) highlight. Tends to make things look very ‘oily’ instead of ‘wet’.

Posted: 23 June 2014 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  614
Joined  2013-01-27
Szark - 23 June 2014 09:42 AM

Yes Glossiness pertains to specular, both 1 and 2 and it controls the size of highlight. say 10% will cover most of the surface making it all shiny, 95% will make a focused spot of highlight…this is opposite of the Daz Studio default.

Spec 1 and 2 sharpness controls how sharp the edge of the highlight is.

Spec 2 roughness adds noise (as far as I am aware) but it is one of those things that need confirming.

Diffuse Roughness is also something often overlooked. Increasing the roughness will make the surface react better with high gloss so for smooth metal I usually go for 1.20 - 1.30. For rougher surfaces like cloth I go for 0.80 - 0.90

right. Thanks.

So we can’t control the glossiness of spec1 and spec2 independently? This appears to be at odds with Scott’s comment about hair in US2 (above) which (I thought) suggested a glossier spec1 (white colour) and then a less glossy spec2 (of the hair colour). But perhaps I misunderstood?

Posted: 23 June 2014 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-12-20
Sertorial - 23 June 2014 12:49 PM

right. Thanks.

So we can’t control the glossiness of spec1 and spec2 independently? This appears to be at odds with Scott’s comment about hair in US2 (above) which (I thought) suggested a glossier spec1 (white colour) and then a less glossy spec2 (of the hair colour). But perhaps I misunderstood?

I believe you can. Just use different values for glossy (1st specular) and roughness.(2nd specular). If you use the same value for glossyness/roughness they cover the same area.

Posted: 23 June 2014 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  708
Joined  2012-02-12

Hi

For what I know Spec 1 and Spec 2 are indendent or should be

First glossiness parameter is for Spec 1

The spec2 Glossiness is controlled by spec 2 roughness and as a rule, to have an idea of the influence of the value, it should be
glossiness = 1 - roughness

It shouldn’t be just adding some noise (not retested but that is what I recall having seen on Ubersurface)

The goal of that, if I’m correct,  is to have the dual specular layer to simulate the “usual” surface specular and the second for grazing angle

Signature 

My Deviant Art

Posted: 23 June 2014 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  369
Joined  2008-06-25

I did test the two speculars for my upcoming tutorial, and it appears to me that the two specular models are exactly the same, but with a different name for the SpecII control (this “roughness” designation even got carried over to US2 where it’s but a spec channel of the second layer which is otherwise identical to the first one, minus SSS). No noise or any other extra stuff about SpecII, as far as I could see.

All in all, I have been able to switch these two over without any changes in the rendered image.

Signature 

do your research before blaming 3Delight for shortcomings of your renders

dA gallery link in profile along with anything else you may need to know about me

my thread with freebies

Posted: 23 June 2014 01:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  369
Joined  2008-06-25
Takeo.Kensei - 23 June 2014 01:08 PM

Hi

The spec2 Glossiness is controlled by spec 2 roughness and as a rule, to have an idea of the influence of the value, it should be

The thing is, I thought so, too, and started testing to confirm it, but it’s not! “Roughness” and “glossiness” values in the UberSurface case map across identically. A 10% SpecI glossiness is the same as 10% SpecII “roughness”.

Signature 

do your research before blaming 3Delight for shortcomings of your renders

dA gallery link in profile along with anything else you may need to know about me

my thread with freebies

Posted: 23 June 2014 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-02-12
Mustakettu85 - 23 June 2014 01:17 PM
Takeo.Kensei - 23 June 2014 01:08 PM

Hi

The thing is, I thought so, too, and started testing to confirm it, but it’s not! “Roughness” and “glossiness” values in the UberSurface case map across identically. A 10% SpecI glossiness is the same as 10% SpecII “roughness”.

Hi long time no see smile

And you’re right. Just tested and the roughness seems to act like glossiness parameter

Signature 

My Deviant Art

Posted: 23 June 2014 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-12-20

I also believe this is also true for UberSurface2. There’s some flexibility though on how to combine both layers using different blend modes.

Posted: 23 June 2014 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-02-12
wowie - 23 June 2014 01:39 PM

I also believe this is also true for UberSurface2. There’s some flexibility though on how to combine both layers using different blend modes.

You have the choice of blending mode in US2 ?

Signature 

My Deviant Art

Posted: 23 June 2014 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-12-20
Takeo.Kensei - 23 June 2014 02:22 PM

You have the choice of blending mode in US2 ?

Yes. The 2nd specular controls are located inside the second layer, unlike HSS and US. Here’s a snapshot of what I’m seeing. It is different to the screenshot available on omnifreaker’s site, so I’m guessing he changed it afterwards. It might just be around the same time he recompiled it to support DS4 but I’m not sure about that.

Image Attachments
Uber2.png

Posted: 23 June 2014 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-02-12

OK thanks. that gives a lot of possibilities to create cool effects

Signature 

My Deviant Art

Posted: 23 June 2014 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14
Sertorial - 23 June 2014 09:28 AM
wowie - 23 June 2014 09:06 AM
Sertorial - 23 June 2014 08:44 AM

Can I just ask what you mean by “tighter” and “broader”? My spec and spec 2 only have a strength and a sharpness setting

I believe this means glossyness/roughness. Tighter means more gloss (or less roughness with the 2nd specular.

I do wish Omnifreaker used the same name for the 2nd specular. Calling it roughness is counter intuitive, more so since the controls is backwards (closer to zero is very rough, while closer to 100 is very smooth).

aah… right. Thanks.

So we have a channel called “glossiness” (which doesn’t seem to be specific to either spec1 or spec2 - so what does it affect?)

Spec 1 has a channel called “sharpness” (but no “roughness”)

Spec2 has a channel called “sharpness” and one called “roughness”

Clear as mud! Can anyone elucidate?

yeah when I said Glossiness pertains to spec 1 and 2 I didn’t mean they were dependent on each other but replying to the bolded text above.

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

My Render Thread

Posted: 23 June 2014 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14
Mustakettu85 - 23 June 2014 01:12 PM

I did test the two speculars for my upcoming tutorial,

does that mean I don’t need to do mine that I promised. wink

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

My Render Thread

Posted: 23 June 2014 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  614
Joined  2013-01-27

Ok, thanks everyone.

I have been doing some quick tests on a sphere primitive and I can confirm that glossiness refers to specular 1 only.  For specular two, glossiness is called roughness (rather annoyingly) and the percentages are the same (i.e. a glossiness of 80% for spec 1 is the same as a roughness of 80% for spec2).

Maybe Mr Omnifreaker might like to rename his channels in the next version to something a little more logical?

I suggest :

spec1, glossiness 1, sharpness1
spec2, glossiness 2, sharpness2

Then we’d all be a bit clearer. smile

2 of 7