Digital Art Zone

Do these new items don’t come with metadata?
Posted: 27 June 2012 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  222
Joined  2003-10-09

I just bought and downloaded the following:

—Beautiful Black HairStyles,

—Night Watcher,

—Boudoir Bliss for Genesis Female,

—Moyras Lingerie Boutique Honeymoon

—Steam Aircraft Dragon,

But not one of them had come with a Metadata. (At least the Metadata failed to show up in my download items)

Should there be Metadata with these?

Posted: 27 June 2012 08:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1718
Joined  2012-02-07

Greetings,
My understanding is that metadata is being baked into the newer installers and the standalone ZIP files.  In fact, I think it was like that before, but they produced a separate file for folks who had not downloaded it when it contained metadata.  Or something.

So…if you’re not seeing them in Smart Content, then you should ping back about that.  Otherwise, yeah it’s intended to be like that. smile

— Morgan

Signature 

Want wishlist discount notifications, better wishlist sorting, or to see ALL current discounts? http://3dwishlist.com/demo

Look at my deviantArt Gallery, give me feedback and feel free to follow!

This Firefox GreaseMonkey/Chrome Extension tweaks the wishlist and the product pages, adding cool new features to both and cleaning up small UI issues.

Posted: 27 June 2012 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  222
Joined  2003-10-09

I am seeing it in the smart content. I guess I should have looked before I posted this message.

thanks

Posted: 27 June 2012 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1242
Joined  2004-08-24

It always has been in the main file.  The extra metadata files they have with most items now are simply that - extra.  My understanding is that it’s separate so that if something in the metadata’s updated, you just need the new metadata file.  I don’t quite understand the logic behind it, but that’s nothing new smile

Signature 

Cheers,
Alisa

Post Count - just add 6775 to what it says here smile
Coordinator & updater for KCTC Freebies *Remembering France*

Posted: 28 June 2012 01:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  320
Joined  2008-04-09
Alisa Uh-Lisa - 27 June 2012 09:05 PM

...My understanding is that it’s separate so that if something in the metadata’s updated, you just need the new metadata file.  I don’t quite understand the logic behind it, but that’s nothing new smile

Some products have fairly large installers, over 100 MB in size.  If the only thing being updated is the metadata, it’s faster to download the seperate metadata installer than to re-download the main installer.

Posted: 28 June 2012 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1242
Joined  2004-08-24
nightwolf1982 - 28 June 2012 01:55 AM
Alisa Uh-Lisa - 27 June 2012 09:05 PM

...My understanding is that it’s separate so that if something in the metadata’s updated, you just need the new metadata file.  I don’t quite understand the logic behind it, but that’s nothing new smile

Some products have fairly large installers, over 100 MB in size.  If the only thing being updated is the metadata, it’s faster to download the seperate metadata installer than to re-download the main installer.

That part makes sense smile.  The thing that doesn’t is that they have both the product (containing the metadata) AND the separate metadata, even though it’s the original release and both are the same.  And I suspect if they do update the metadata and you reset your product,  you’ll get both again.  I find that repetitive and confusing.  If they want to have the metadata separate,for ease of reload, why not just have it separate, and NOT in with the product as well? 

So now, I don’t even look at the separate metadata, which could be a problem if they HAD updated it before I bought it, and I have the wrong metadata in the main download..

And none of this is documented anywhere officially, so most people have no clue about it..

Signature 

Cheers,
Alisa

Post Count - just add 6775 to what it says here smile
Coordinator & updater for KCTC Freebies *Remembering France*