Digital Art Zone

Problem with materials from Hex to DAZ Studio
Posted: 02 October 2013 03:03 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  713
Joined  2011-08-05

Hello!

I have created a simple sphere, UV mapped it, assigned all faces to 1 shading domain and created a new material for it. It is the only material for the sphere, named “surface”. See the Hexagon screenshot.

Now, when I bring this sphere over to DAZ Studio via the bridge, I suddenly have a second material for the sphere, named “def_surf_mat”. See the DAZ screenshot.

Why is that so? How can I get rid of that second material? How can I prevent Hex or Studio from creating it?

Thanks for your answers!

Image Attachments
1.jpg
 Signature 

My DeviantArt

Posted: 02 October 2013 07:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  713
Joined  2011-08-05

Edit:

Now I tried it with exporting as .obj from Hex and import that in DAZ Studio. This way everything is perfect. So it seems to be a problem with the bridge. Too bad, the bridge is nice and fast to work with. But useless with such issues.

Signature 

My DeviantArt

Posted: 02 October 2013 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  274
Joined  2005-09-15

Actually, more often or not the default mat that suddenly appears is mostly caused by stray or duplicate verts not being attributed to a shading domain/material in Hexagon.  Also hidden parts of your model likewise often are not attributed to the shading domain/materials if one does not ensure that all of the relevant faces/tessellations/verts have been selected prior to creation of the material zone(s).

In simple terms if you are creating a model with a single material all over then unless you select the semi-transparent mode when you highlight the object there is the distinct possibility that you can miss any of the three constituents that form the model.

Stray verts for example for some unknown reason could be upto a couple of metres away from the actual model and being so small are virtually undetectable, like wise an itsy winsy tessellation, as such, they will not have been within the shading domain/material zone when selected so therefore have none; as such Hexagon automatically assigns the default shader.

What to do about the default shader? Simple, just delete it.  99 times out of a 100 all will be well.  This being done before you pass it through the bridge where possible, alternatively just highlight and delete within studio.    cheese

Signature 

Cheers, Fanners.raspberry

Posted: 02 October 2013 09:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  393
Joined  2003-10-09

Actually, RedSquare, I would have to disagree.

I use the bridge almost exclusively even to bring in my work from Wings3D, Metasequoia, and Blender to transfer over to Studio.  There is definitely a bug that adds a blank (zero facets) material domain to every mesh sent over to Studio via the bridge (even for seasoned veterans).

I agree with you that a newbie should double check their facet selection, and make sure they are creating the MAT domains correctly, but using the bridge will add an empty MAT zone even if one does it correctly.

Easy fix in Studio, though.  Just go to the Polygon Selection Tab, and delete the extra added zone.  It should show zero facets for the zone.  If not, one has missed something in their selections, and needs to make corrections.

Signature 

Take care all..        “It’s easy to clean up when you got money.”        *Old Post Count:  Don’t know, don’t care…  *New Site Status:  Doesn’t matter one iota.
Ken

Posted: 03 October 2013 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  274
Joined  2005-09-15

grin  Oh whoops;  I bow to your superior knowledge as I never use the bridge or Studio even though I have the latter.  So sorry folks my apologies for misleading everyone.  red face

Signature 

Cheers, Fanners.raspberry

Posted: 03 October 2013 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5239
Joined  2012-04-07

Well I can get that silly default material reference and I’m not using the bridge! Figured it was a communication bug in D/S but haven’t the wherewithall to verify it properly.

Created .obj in Hexagon.
Drag down material list and delete EVERYTHING not associated with .obj.
Export out .obj.
In D/S import .obj and often as not, one will have extra reference.
Solution is to close D/S, open a fresh Hexagon, import in that last export from Hexagon, again clean up the materials and export out.
THEN open D/S and import it in.
It’s usually clean then.

Now if there are “oodles” of unrequired materials in Hexagon [like from an imported model one was dressing], after deleting the model, export out the “clothing” .obj. Close Hexagon, open Hexagon and import in that .obj file and hope it has only its own materials assigned mentioned in the materials list. If not, delete what remains that is not required and export out the .obj again.

funsville
if not sharing/selling said file, one can apparently also just open the .obj in a text editor and remove the reference to the material.

Signature 

Lots of photos in my DA Gallery including PD Textures.