Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
how tall is v4 ...
Posted: 01 October 2013 10:22 PM   [ Ignore ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1410
Joined  2010-03-15

And is there a formula for judging height for custom morph?

Signature 

Aidana WillowRaven
website: http://WillowRaven.weebly.com ~ blog: http://willowraven-illustration.blogspot.com/
I ask for so little. Just fear me, love me, do as I say and I will be your slave.

Posted: 01 October 2013 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1533
Joined  2003-10-09

when you create a new primitive, you have the option of how big to make it.  You could make a plane that’s one one meter across and use it as a ruler to roughly measure your figure., or change it to cm to try to get a better guess.  There are also free ruler objects available (I think I saw some on renderosity).  I think your grid setting might be defaulting to 1 meter squares also.

Posted: 02 October 2013 01:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1385
Joined  2005-03-16

You can try my freebie measuring wall.  Has either feet or meters, so should help you.  Measure Wall

Signature 

My DAZ Store Page    My Facebook Fan Page    My Twitter Account    Free Video Tutorials    My FreeStuff at ShareCG    My Gallery on DeviantArt

Posted: 02 October 2013 01:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3416
Joined  2009-08-05

Yes I use Sloshes measuring tool. Very Handy…

Signature 

My Daz Store
My Rendo Store

Posted: 02 October 2013 05:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  821
Joined  2009-06-14

I third the Measure Wall.  It is really great!

Posted: 02 October 2013 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1190
Joined  2004-06-13

Why do people make this harder then it is?  Create a new plane, size doesn’t matter but at least big enough to be seen.  Raise the plane on the y-axis to height you want your character,  DS uses centimeters to convert (feet x 12) + inches) x 2.54 = centimeters.

Signature 

Push buttons, see what happens!

Posted: 02 October 2013 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16

Peoples’ minds work in different ways.  What might sound quite obvious to some turns into a calculus problem to others.  Also, what if you want to measure 2 or 3 figures at once, as well as a piece of furniture, a doorway, etc.  Some might not want to add a plane for each item, or adjust the same plane again and again, then do a math equation each time to go with it.

If you prefer to do the plane idea (which is totally a good way to do it) rather than use that same single click to open a board with measurements already shown on it, then that’s fine, but it is not necessarily “making it harder than it has to be” for people who just like to see the numbers.

This post was typed with a smile on my face and in no way meant to come across snarky.  There are a million right ways to do something.

Signature 

My DAZ Store Page    My Facebook Fan Page    My Twitter Account    Free Video Tutorials    My FreeStuff at ShareCG    My Gallery on DeviantArt

Posted: 02 October 2013 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  622
Joined  2004-12-14

This will answer all of your questions:

http://www.morphography.uk.vu/scaleobj.html

It covers both Poser and Daz Studio.

Glad I could help.

Signature 

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored” - Aldous Huxley

Posted: 02 October 2013 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1190
Joined  2004-06-13

For the specific question asked my way is simple and doesn’t require anything that isn’t already in DS.

Signature 

Push buttons, see what happens!

Posted: 02 October 2013 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16

Oh geez.  Your way takes 1 click to load the plane, dial movements to match the height, then a calculator to determine the metric or imperial measurement.  The stupid wall loads in right behind V4 or whomever and has inches, feet, centimeters or meters right on it.  Blam, one-click.  Is your way really easier?  And the wall is free, so it is no more complicated than a native DS plane.

Why?  Why?  Just trying to give someone a nice freebie, why do you have to make this so complicated?  Thanks for ruining a good mood.

Signature 

Posted: 02 October 2013 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4814
Joined  2005-08-03

It’s ok Slosh. I’m an accounting major and still prefer the visual wall method. lol raspberry

Signature 

Wearing duck crap doesn’t make you a duck - Floki
@Deviantart | @ShareCG
Tutorial: V4 Transmap Brows on Genesis via DS only.
Bulk convert V4/M4 mats for Genesis2

Posted: 02 October 2013 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1609
Joined  2008-11-10
jestmart - 02 October 2013 10:03 AM

For the specific question asked my way is simple and doesn’t require anything that isn’t already in DS.

Don’t see how loading in primitives then hunting down a calculator and manually keying in conversions is simpler than eyeballing a chart prop specifically for that purpose.

Just sayin.

Posted: 02 October 2013 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  613
Joined  2004-11-04

I guess it would all depend on your screen. On mine, my Craftsman tape measurer has 4 and 15/16th inches and my laptop would be smaller wink

Signature 

DZ FIRE’S
MASTER MODELS

Click HERE to get started.
Facebook

Posted: 02 October 2013 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1410
Joined  2010-03-15

Thanks, guys :D My original question was how tall is V4 and if there was a formula for height adjusting, so when I want to make a character 5’5”, I know how much to alter her and where.

The wall is perfect for my needs, Slosh :D Thanks (and yes, when I am in composition mode, my brain is not in math mode ... lol).

While I’m here ... I was able to shorten her legs, but not her torso. Am I missing something or looking in the wrong spot? I have ++ morphs, if that helps. Also, is there a morph to close the small gap between her thighs? I can make the thighs touch, but there is still a little gap at the top. Is there a saddlebag morph floating around somewhere.

Signature 

Aidana WillowRaven
website: http://WillowRaven.weebly.com ~ blog: http://willowraven-illustration.blogspot.com/
I ask for so little. Just fear me, love me, do as I say and I will be your slave.

Posted: 02 October 2013 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  516
Joined  2003-10-09

And here I thought V4 was 0.76323 units in the OBJ… :D

Signature 

A good pun is its own reword

“The greatest sin is to be willfully unteachable” - Dr. Pat Allen

Posted: 02 October 2013 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4814
Joined  2005-08-03

I think I read somewhere that earlier versions of Poser had V4 standing at like 5’8”, but after a Poser units change she turned into like 6’4. lol

Signature 

Wearing duck crap doesn’t make you a duck - Floki
@Deviantart | @ShareCG
Tutorial: V4 Transmap Brows on Genesis via DS only.
Bulk convert V4/M4 mats for Genesis2

1 of 2