Digital Art Zone

2 of 22
DAZ Studio Pro 4.6.1.17 General Release, Now Available!
Posted: 03 October 2013 01:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1057
Joined  2003-10-09
DAZ_cjones - 02 October 2013 09:12 PM
Spit - 02 October 2013 09:02 PM

I’m anxious to see the viewport changes. Hope my video card cooperates. Prolly will install a bit later tonite. Looks good.

To keep old cards working, these improvements are only visible if turned on.  This can be done by enabling “Per Pixel Lighting” in the Interface tab of the Preferences Dialog.

Thanks! It seems to be working just fine for me I just have an nVidea GT545.

A couple things.

Gamma correction seems different from the last version it seems. Have to play some more.

and

did Studio always optimize images before each render? even if nothing was changed?

Posted: 03 October 2013 05:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  437
Joined  2012-10-15
Spit - 03 October 2013 01:02 AM
DAZ_cjones - 02 October 2013 09:12 PM
Spit - 02 October 2013 09:02 PM

I’m anxious to see the viewport changes. Hope my video card cooperates. Prolly will install a bit later tonite. Looks good.

To keep old cards working, these improvements are only visible if turned on.  This can be done by enabling “Per Pixel Lighting” in the Interface tab of the Preferences Dialog.

Thanks! It seems to be working just fine for me I just have an nVidea GT545.

A couple things.

Gamma correction seems different from the last version it seems. Have to play some more.

and

did Studio always optimize images before each render? even if nothing was changed?

It should not reoptimize before each render.  However anytime you change the Gamma Corrrection setting all images need to be reoptimized.

Posted: 03 October 2013 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  989
Joined  2006-02-27

now that this is out should I uninstall the beta

Posted: 03 October 2013 07:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-15
JohnDelaquiox - 03 October 2013 07:49 AM

now that this is out should I uninstall the beta

This supersedes the beta so you can uninstall it if you want to clean up.  That being said more betas will be coming in the future and they will replace the beta if you currently have one installed.

Posted: 03 October 2013 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4589
Joined  2004-08-11

Installing now.  I was told that you guys were releasing a new version of DAZ Studio that would fix any issues with the CMS.  I don’t see that mentioned in the list on the previous page.  Was this held back and if so why?

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 03 October 2013 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2495
Joined  2007-12-07

Installing via DIM still puts the files were the DIM wants to, not over the top of the existing install.  I suspect I’ll need the ‘old trick’ of installing the standalone exe and persuading DIM that it’s really there smile

Signature 

Some writings by a friend:
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/11.html
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/13.html
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/7.html

Posted: 03 October 2013 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-15
SimonJM - 03 October 2013 08:49 AM

Installing via DIM still puts the files were the DIM wants to, not over the top of the existing install.  I suspect I’ll need the ‘old trick’ of installing the standalone exe and persuading DIM that it’s really there smile

DIM will install applications into the path specified for applications in its Settings(see screenshot below), 64 bit to the 64 bit folder, 32 bit to its folder.  In the case of Studio General Release, it will add “/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4” to the path and install all necessary files into that folder.  So for me 64 bit goes to “C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4” and 32 bit goes to “C:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4”.  You can change the “C:\Program Files” and “C:\Program Files (x86)” part of the path but not the rest.

If the standalone installer is used, DIM does not consider that an install for its records and so does not try to update it or install to it.

Image Attachments
Settings.jpg

Posted: 03 October 2013 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2495
Joined  2007-12-07
DAZ_cjones - 03 October 2013 10:52 AM

DIM will install applications into the path specified for applications in its Settings(see screenshot below), 64 bit to the 64 bit folder, 32 bit to its folder.  In the case of Studio General Release, it will add “/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4” to the path and install all necessary files into that folder.  So for me 64 bit goes to “C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4” and 32 bit goes to “C:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4”.  You can change the “C:\Program Files” and “C:\Program Files (x86)” part of the path but not the rest.

If the standalone installer is used, DIM does not consider that an install for its records and so does not try to update it or install to it.

Could have sworn, at some stage, I seem to have got it all in accord - with DIM agreeing that I had my copy of Daz Studio where I had installed it, which does not include any of the ‘twiddly bits’ the DIM install insists on adding.  Not a problem, so long as the separate installers continue to be produced smile

Signature 

Some writings by a friend:
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/11.html
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/13.html
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/7.html

Posted: 03 October 2013 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-15
SimonJM - 03 October 2013 10:58 AM
DAZ_cjones - 03 October 2013 10:52 AM

Could have sworn, at some stage, I seem to have got it all in accord - with DIM agreeing that I had my copy of Daz Studio where I had installed it, which does not include any of the ‘twiddly bits’ the DIM install insists on adding.  Not a problem, so long as the separate installers continue to be produced smile

The Applications tab will let you set up the DAZ Studio as installed to any setup.  This will let plug-ins/shaders/etc install to a custom setup.  However that information is not used when Application installs/updates occur.

Posted: 03 October 2013 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11

DAZ_cjones, can you please answer my question just above Simon’s please?  Thanks!

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 03 October 2013 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  728
Joined  2010-03-13

I won’t be switching to this new general release, yet, as “the old” general release got no trouble with my content database, but the beta versions were all practicing “who is the quickest to lose the CMS connection”. Both beta and old general release work with the same database, so database corruption is at least highly unlikely as cause. Yes, I got a bug report open for that - targeted at the latest public beta.

Posted: 03 October 2013 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Administrator
RankRank
Total Posts:  338
Joined  2003-10-09
RAMWolff - 03 October 2013 08:39 AM

I was told that you guys were releasing a new version of DAZ Studio that would fix any issues with the CMS.  I don’t see that mentioned in the list on the previous page.  Was this held back and if so why?

A statement like “would fix any issues with the CMS” is much too broad in scope.  Simple fact is, we license a third party solution for the CMS server.  As such, we depend on said third party to provide a stable and reliable environment that we can use and build upon.  Because we do not develop the CMS server ourselves and therefore do not have complete control over the stability and reliability of it, it is not wise for us to ever claim that an update to it would fix “any” (all) issues it may have.  Especially when we’ve experienced several issues that have required updates to fix it along the way.

Why wasn’t it mentioned in the highlights, or the change log?  One update IS mentioned in the change log; build 4.6.0.62.  I suspect that this isn’t, however, the update you may be referring to; one to the CMS server, rather than the client.  The server update wasn’t mentioned because it wasn’t part of this (4.6.1.x) build cycle.  There comes a point during the development process where the code must branch and the number of risky changes must quickly and continually decrease.  That point was reached before any other changes that may have been mentioned elsewhere but are not highlighted in the announcement or listed in the change log were made to the branch of code we began stabilizing several weeks ago, for this release.  Changes to the CMS are typically risky enough to require a lot of testing.  Testing has been, and will continue to be, done.  That testing quickly revealed that the fixes came at the expense of a conversion process.  That conversion process, for a large library, which we know many of our users have, is lengthy.  Much lengthier than we were comfortable with exposing users to without adequate notification, before and during.  To simply “throw in” an update provided by a third party without thorough testing, to appease those that are experiencing inconsistent issues, would have been extremely irresponsible.  To hold on to a release that provides numerous fixes and improvements for “just one more fix”, is to be a disservice to our users and to ourselves.  We decided to proceed with a planned release, with what we had.  Holding on to the CMS server update for the [hopefully] next cycle, so that users could benefit from the fixes/improvements that have been made… now, rather than later.

-Rob

Signature 

- Documentation Center
- Install Manager
- DAZ Studio 4.x
- DSON Importer
- DSON File Format Specification

Posted: 03 October 2013 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1242
Joined  2004-06-13

DAZ needs to kick CMS to the curb.  It was bad enough when plug-ins from third parties would stop working do to update changes, the last thing we need is for major functions or the whole program going belly up because of a plug-in outside of DAZ’s control.

Signature 

Push buttons, see what happens!

Posted: 03 October 2013 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
RankRank
Total Posts:  338
Joined  2003-10-09

Install Manager has no knowledge of that which it did not install.  It never has and we have never claimed otherwise.  In fact we have been very transparent about this, quite intentionally, from the very beginning.  There is simply far too much variability in what has been done to/with files for Install Manager to produce a consistent/reliable experience for them.

It should go without saying, but I will anyway, that any “trick” to “persuade” Install Manager to behave in a manner other than it was designed to is not guaranteed to yield the result you are after.  The application was designed to function in a particular way.  A way that produces a consistent and reliable experience.  Those attempting to be clever should [inherently] understand that they are responsible for their results… both desired and otherwise.

Install Manager allows you to specify the base path(s) for the applications it installs; one for 32-bit applications and one for 64-bit applications; Settings (cog icon, upper right corner)  > Installation page.  Each application package is then responsible for providing it’s own relative path that Install Manager will append to said base path(s).  That relative path is plainly visible from the “Ready to Install” page, using the “Show Package Files…” action in the context menu (right-click) and option menu (far right arrow) of every single package.  Those two very basic, very simple, things (i.e. base path and relative path)  are what determine where Install Manager will install the files of any given application.  There is no “trickery” involved.

Often times an application is dependent on the existence of supporting libraries and/or configuration files which need to install to specific areas of your computer (as determined by the operating system and/or library provider), so the package will include those as well.  And like the application files listed in the “Package Files” dialog mentioned above, so too are these system dependent relative paths.

In so much as a particular application is supported by Install Manager, when an application is installed by Install Manager an entry for that application (version and bit architecture specific) is added to the Settings >Applications page, for the current account.  This entry is then used by application dependent extension packages (i.e. plugins, shaders, content that installs like a plugin, etc.) to know where to install to.  If you did not use Install Manager to install an application, and you haven’t manually added said application (version and bit architecture dependent) to the list, Install Manager does not know where it should install those types of packages.  If you are going to mix installation methods (i.e. standalone installer for the application and Install Manager for add-ons), you will need to become familiar with how this works because the application cannot do it for you (as it does when you just use Install Manager).

-Rob

Signature 

- Documentation Center
- Install Manager
- DAZ Studio 4.x
- DSON Importer
- DSON File Format Specification

Posted: 03 October 2013 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11

Thanks for the response Rob.  I understand your needing to make sure the CMS update is stable.  Even though my situation was one in a million it brought my being able to create content to a stand still.  What seemed to be what put CMS on it’s ear was having two versions of DAZ Studio installed side by side so perhaps you can suss out what might have been the cause.  Since uninstalling both and updating to just, at the time, the public release beta and reinstalling the CMS and reimporting the data all was well.  But it was a 12 hour nightmare I’d just assume not repeat.  I will NOT have two versions of DAZ Studio installed ever again if I can remember not to!  lol That was just no fun.

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

2 of 22