Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
Frustrated with Gen 4 ‘Fixes’ considering switching to Genesis
Posted: 28 June 2012 06:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4785
Joined  2011-10-04

If it had not been Genesis and ability to put in stuff from V4/M4/etc, I probably would not have been hooked as well as I am now. I am of school of thought where maximized compatibility while looking good is driving philosophy in life—specialization is for insects. wink Clothes autofitting? ZOMG, cool. Content autoconforming? AWESOME.

Two notes: GenX (and most other plugins) does not support 4.5RC2 yet, but if you get Genesis Evolution bundle, you won’t need it for a while. Honest. Simply playing with those dialers is great deal of fun. However, as far as I know, most notable and important plugins are slated to get their update soon…ish.

The second note is that 4.5RC2 is generally good, because it is surprisingly stable (at least in my system), and they have fixed auto-fit (so it retains morphs!) and it has push modifier available as well. Both of which have made my life easier. Since I don’t have much in ways of plugins, I have fully switched using it.

Signature 

Remembering Jaderail. Rest, my friend.
My DeviantArt page.
My DAZ Studio 4 freebies.
My ramblings/blog

Posted: 28 June 2012 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  526
Joined  2004-11-12
MadisonXF - 27 June 2012 02:49 PM

Wow thanks for all the great replies. I think I’m sold.

I will probably start with some of the bundles, since they are on sale. Aside from the previously mentioned Genesis Starter Bundle, do you guys have any recommendations on key Genesis products? I will definetly grab V5 and M5. I’m more interested in modern styles at the moment, and will probably save the fantasy / sci-fi items for later. My main concern right now is basic character anatomy / morhps / etc. for Genesis.

One concern I have is that some items seem to be restricted to certain bundles. I noticed that something basic like genitals is only available in the Pro bundles. Why is that? Seems weird that you are forced to buy a bundle to get an item, instead of just buying that particular item. This sort of thing makes me a litte leary of the various bundle options. I don’t want to get hosed buying the ‘wrong’ bundle and then finding that some simple item is only available in a different bundle.

Unfortunately, if you want gens for V5 and M5, you have to get the Pro bundles. I can’t say that I understand DAZ’s reasoning, but they seem to be stead fast in their position. I’ve seen posts (in the old forum) with other ways to achieve anatomical correctness, but the only way to get the official version of the bits is to get the Pro bundles. Depending on what your doing, they may not be all that important. A good texture map and morph may be all you need for V5. M5 may be a bit more difficult with missing bits, I’ve seen posts stating that people have smart proped M4’s bit to M5 with reasonable results.

Which bundles to buy really depends on your focus, but right now the Pro and Suite bundles are fantastic deals for PC members. You can get the Pro Suite for V5 for less than I paid for the V5 Pro bundle a few months ago. As mentioned before GenX and the Gen 4 Morph bundle is nice to have to get your Gen 4 figures into Genesis.  The Clothing Cleavage Modifier it great for making female clothing look more realistic between the breasts (AKA the tent effect), the best thing about it is that it doesn’t modify the underlying geometry of the Genesis figure, which means it works very well with things like swim wear and low cut blouses. Pose Master is a great utility to easily get all your old Gen 4 poses into Genesis.

Good luck - I hope you find Genesis to be as interesting and fun to use as I have. On the surface it seems like it might be a bit over hyped, but once you really start diving in and testing the possibilities, you understand why DS4/Genesis won the 3D World Software Innovation of the Year award - it really is that good.

Signature 

My Rendo Gallery

Posted: 28 June 2012 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4785
Joined  2011-10-04

Yeah, I’m totally going to recommend the decision to get both V5 and M5 Pro bundles (and remember, right now you can get -$10 for purchases exceeding $50—and you can do it as many times as you like, so buy them in two separate packs with a bit of extra if you need some, for maximum profit wink), there’s tons and tons of good stuff you can use.

Signature 

Remembering Jaderail. Rest, my friend.
My DeviantArt page.
My DAZ Studio 4 freebies.
My ramblings/blog

Posted: 03 July 2012 09:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  202
Joined  2010-12-22

Thanks for all the feedback.

I’ve been playing with Genesis, and so far it is working nicely. The auto-fit tool generally does a great job of moving Gen 4 content onto Genesis.

I’m going to go ahead and get some of the Gen 4 -> Genesis morph transfers, I think. I am a bit confused though…I see this:

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-generation-x-upgrade-from-gen4/

But it says it is an upgrade…

So is this all I actually need?

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/v4-and-m4-shapes-for-genesis/

I mostly just want to be able to transfer certain faces over. I’m terrible at making my own faces, and there are several Gen 4 favorties that I would like to use with Genesis.

Thanks!

Posted: 03 July 2012 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  430
Joined  2008-06-25
MadisonXF - 03 July 2012 09:07 AM

I’m going to go ahead and get some of the Gen 4 -> Genesis morph transfers, I think. I am a bit confused though…I see this:

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-generation-x-upgrade-from-gen4/

But it says it is an upgrade…

So is this all I actually need?

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/v4-and-m4-shapes-for-genesis/

First of all, you do need the M4 & V4 Shapes if you want to transfer your favourite faces to Genesis and have them look the same. But then you have a choice: you can either buy this for an automated solution (the non-upgrade version):

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-generation-x/

Or use the built-in Transfer Utility with the following easy steps (second post on this page): http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=186411&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=40

I don’t have GenX (yet…), but I’ve used the Transfer Utility to port a combined dialled & custom morphs character from V4 to Genesis, and loved the results.

Hope that helps!

Signature 

do your research before blaming 3Delight for shortcomings of your renders

dA gallery link in profile along with anything else you may need to know about me

my thread with freebies

2 of 2