Digital Art Zone

3 of 7
Make a living as a creator on Daz3d?
Posted: 16 September 2013 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3369
Joined  2009-08-05

Congrats:) you aren’t a real PA until your product has been pirated lol…But seriously, enough about piracy, its depressing:(

Signature 

My Daz Store
My Rendo Store

Posted: 16 September 2013 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  450
Joined  2012-03-25
udgang99 - 16 September 2013 05:12 AM

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you guys have an idea wether a creator here on Daz3d can actually make a living, making stuff for the 3d store?
I mean, people like Stone Mason, Antfarm aso have been around for years, and have an impressive amount of stuff in their stores ...

Of course, it’s all about the quality of the products the creators produce, but are there buyers enough for a good 3d-creator to make a living?

I’m just currious. wink

Yes it is possible.  The advice I would have added has already been mentioned in this thread.

I do this full time but went part time for over a year in order to get my footing and ramp up.

The best sellers are the good quality products.  If you put in the time and the effort and are not afraid of grinding work and looooong, intense hours then it might be for you.

.. And after that, the second it is released and you think you can relax, someone will complain about something you’ve done.  Thats when you know you’ve arrived.  :D

Good luck and best wishes!

~Bluebird

p.s.  I am kidding about that last part.  Sort of.

Signature 

DAZ Published Artist:  http://www.daz3d.com/shop/bluebird-3d

My Gallery: http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/80

Posted: 16 September 2013 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1707
Joined  2012-02-07

Greetings,
Heh.  So it’s like any other online content production business.  Lots of hard work, and getting good at what you do.  Building a fan base, a back catalog, and keeping a weather eye out for the bad people.  Supporting folks who use the product, while figuring out what else the market’s looking for, releasing your products, and hoping it succeeds while moving on to the next project, with the ever-present awareness that you’re in a ‘hits-based’ business.  There’s also probably the occasional buy-out which is likely a nice boost in one-time income, weighed against not increasing the back catalog’s cushioning effect.

It’s almost exactly like trying to make a living as a ‘micro-ISV’ (one person software shop), or a self-published author…  Anything where you’re working for yourself, producing something digital for other people to enjoy, and living off of sales of that product is going to end up being equally hard, require large amounts of discipline and time, and involve supporting end-users.

...and in all of them, it’s best to test the waters with a few free or low-cost products, learning not only the market, but how committed you are to it and how good at it you already are, before trying to go whole-hog.

— Morgan

Signature 

Want wishlist discount notifications, better wishlist sorting, or to see ALL current discounts? http://3dwishlist.com/demo

Look at my deviantArt Gallery, give me feedback and feel free to follow!

This Firefox GreaseMonkey/Chrome Extension tweaks the wishlist and the product pages, adding cool new features to both and cleaning up small UI issues.

Posted: 16 September 2013 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4922
Joined  2008-03-06

Not gonna lie, it’s actually much more like “what do I want to make that people will still buy?” or “what do I think would be awesome?  Will people buy that?” rather than “what does the market want?”  The market likes my products when they’re of the best quality, and I don’t do my best work making things I don’t like.  Of my products I’ve done, only one that I really adored making has done badly, and that was because it was my very first at DAZ.

I don’t do many buyouts, and it’s not just because of the cushioning effect (although I quite like my catalog sales).  Unless you do 100% buyouts, you’ll be competing against your own product in every sale from then on, because it will be more heavily promoted and more deeply discounted than PA items are.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 16 September 2013 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1227
Joined  2003-10-19

What everyone else said lol

I do this full time. Its not my only source of income, however, as my SO works as well.

That said, it also took 10 yrs to get to a point where I could feasibly equate this to a regular job’s pay. To be fair, I only did this part time for a long while, however, which accounts for that somewhat. Nowadays, I treat it more full time, so its pretty equivalent.

You can definitely make it work… but I would not suggest replacing a cushy job with it for certain. It can be very unpredictable…. and it can take awhile to become established. That’s not including the time spent to learn it, and the money spent on software and other resources (there is a lot of overhead to it) Me, I kind of ended up doing it very accidentally…. dabbling at the beginning, getting hooked, and somewhere along the line, it became my job lol

I definitely don’t want to dissuade anyone…. but, it has its ups and downs, and anyone wanting to break into it should definitely know what they’re getting into.

Signature 

—- Don’t knock on death’s door… ring the doorbell and run (he HATES that)

| My Store on DAZ | D4IVI4G3 Iµ© | Facebook |

Need help with something of mine? Shoot me an email: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted: 16 September 2013 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2219
Joined  2005-09-14
SickleYield - 16 September 2013 01:50 PM

Not gonna lie, it’s actually much more like “what do I want to make that people will still buy?” or “what do I think would be awesome?  Will people buy that?” rather than “what does the market want?”  The market likes my products when they’re of the best quality, and I don’t do my best work making things I don’t like.  Of my products I’ve done, only one that I really adored making has done badly, and that was because it was my very first at DAZ.

Funny, I was thinking of making my own stuff to sell.  I don’t know if anyone would buy my products though.  Maybe I’ll give away stuff for free or for a really low price.  Thanks for sharing your perspective.

Posted: 16 September 2013 03:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1846
Joined  2006-02-17
StratDragon - 16 September 2013 12:39 PM

and I don’t think that if someone pirates they wouldn’t buy it to begin with.  There were posts on this forum for a software package complaining of one products serialization was encumbering and unnecessary and dozens of other posts on another forum asking for a crack for the same software that actually worked. Some artists who work for commission pirate figures and props, some pirates have actually stated they believe the artists who develop models actually pirate the software to model so it’s okay to pirate.

I guess I have a question and that question is; is there something that’s being overlooked that would benefit the artist, and stop the pirate like encryption to an email or account or something along those lines?

I have brought methods up many times, only to be shouted down every time.  There are methods.  Some more intrusive than others.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 16 September 2013 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  260
Joined  2011-04-25

I googled my first product here at Daz last night and sure enough, there it was on a torrent site. I felt disheartened but didn’t know what to do about it. I’m glad this thread was made. I guess I’ll just suck it up if that’s what other people do.

I really respect those of you who have made this a living! I’m way too easily distracted to work on something 24/7. Definitely not quitting the day job. :p

Signature 

My Store
http://www.daz3d.com/saiyaness

My deviantART gallery
http://vampyric-saiyaness.deviantart.com/

My Daz3D gallery
http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/1331

Posted: 16 September 2013 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1642
Joined  2008-02-14

It is always a good idea to contact DAZ with the information about the violation/copyright infringement. .  They’ll put the attack dogs on it if they know about it.

Signature 

PUBLISHED ARTIST
First Bastion’s Environments here at Daz

Posted: 16 September 2013 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1227
Joined  2003-10-19
Saiyaness - 16 September 2013 04:06 PM

I googled my first product here at Daz last night and sure enough, there it was on a torrent site. I felt disheartened but didn’t know what to do about it. I’m glad this thread was made. I guess I’ll just suck it up if that’s what other people do.

I really respect those of you who have made this a living! I’m way too easily distracted to work on something 24/7. Definitely not quitting the day job. :p

There is an email you can send the offending link to, as a vendor at DAZ—- abuse.daz3d.com You can also send the websites a DMCA for your own stuff (and actually, thats the recommended action, as people who do so can often get it down quicker than third parties)

Other than that, its sadly something that plagues content creators. I try not to focus on it too much. If I find something, naturally, I report it and deal with it… but I don’t actively look for it. I would rather focus on making new stuff. Likely, the ones that do that sort of thing wouldn’t be paying anyway.

Signature 

—- Don’t knock on death’s door… ring the doorbell and run (he HATES that)

| My Store on DAZ | D4IVI4G3 Iµ© | Facebook |

Need help with something of mine? Shoot me an email: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted: 17 September 2013 02:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  388
Joined  2005-11-10
Zev0 - 16 September 2013 12:42 PM

Congrats:) you aren’t a real PA until your product has been pirated lol…But seriously, enough about piracy, its depressing:(

Saying that it gets really depressing when you get freebies pirated that could come to our website and download for free anyway.

Signature 

Community Volunteer:
My DAZ Store 

NeilV Poser Stuff & Chohole’s Space

Old Post Count = 6362

Posted: 17 September 2013 03:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15643
Joined  2003-10-09
NeilV 1 - 17 September 2013 02:59 AM
Zev0 - 16 September 2013 12:42 PM

Saying that it gets really depressing when you get freebies pirated that could come to our website and download for free anyway.

And even worse when you find them on a torrent as add-ons for products that have been pirated, and using your name as well, when you are only known as a freebie provider.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        August Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 17 September 2013 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  242
Joined  2007-09-27

This is my full time job and only source of income and I am supporting 2 other people on it so it IS possible.

Its ALOT of hours spent in front of the PC. I started this full time from the start and it was hard and endless hours spent creating products to get the income needed each month. I eventually worked so much the first 2 years I burnt myself out and quit for a good 2 years before coming back so thats something to watch out for as well, cause with the hours you need to put in its really easy to do if your depending on the income. If i could go back I would have started part time and eventually moved to full time but I didnt have that luxury really. Now 2 years later I can work less to maintain my income and its much more balanced.  I dont think I would suggest anyone jump right into this being a full time job because its so touch and go and definitely takes some work to get there.

Posted: 17 September 2013 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  275
Joined  2006-05-16

Definitely seconding the ‘it is a lot more hours than you ever imagine it’s going to be’. I wake up, I start working… I sometimes notice when it gets dark. Sometimes I notice it get light again, too, and that’s been more often than not lately.

That in itself is complicated by all the issues surrounding self-employment as well, and they’re something a lot of folks accustomed to traditional work have little experience with. While a lot of people focus on things like less commute, being able to work in sweats and no need to budget for suits, budgeting for time is an enormous consideration. You have to have a lot of willpower and ability to motivate yourself to get up, get working, and avoid distractions. This gets complicated quickly by a lot of folks who simply don’t understand that ‘working from home’ doesn’t mean the same thing as ‘home and has a ton of free time’. ;) One of the first things you need to learn how to do is say ‘no’, and to say it often—even to yourself, because some ideas can be very tempting. Willpower is more necessary than a lot of people think. (I had wanted to go to the beach this morning. I’m tweaking shaders instead because I wasn’t happy with some results and I’m typing between test renders, for instance. ;) )

You also need to develop a skin so thick you could be hunted for sturdy boot leather, and that’s no joke. Criticism is going to happen. Sometimes it’s going to be sane and reasonable and it will help you immeasurably, and sometimes it’s completely bonkers in ways that make you wish there was a way to kick people in the shins over the internet until you stop wanting to bang your head off the desk. (Also required: strong desk, preferably padded.)

Posted: 17 September 2013 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  595
Joined  2004-11-04

Can you make a living? Yes. Can you make a good living? Yes. Is it a hobby anymore? No, it’s business.

Now to the meat of it. It is not a get rich quick business, you will need to commit about five years extra full time for the venture. So, don’t quit your job yet. I sat down and made up a business plan and sunk $11k of savings for the first two years. You are looking at creating a good detailed item every month and these items are what the customers want, not you. This is to get your catalog built up, you’ll need it later. Be prepared for a lot of beans and catsup soup and tighten your belt. Remember, it’s no longer a hobby but a business. If you treat it as a hobby, you’ll continue spending more money then making. Find your niche and get good at it. Throw out a few freebies to test the waters and watch the numbers. Search for renders of those using them, this will give you an idea of if your items are being used. Remember, people will download your freebies all day long and not use it. A good item will be used right away. Try not to fixate on the warez sites, it’s a waste of time and you’ll just get old fast. There are a lot more honest customers then there are crooks.

After five years, I have paid off everything, bought a few new vehicles, some cool toys, and recently a second house just for the business. I no longer have to work 16 hour days 7 days a week. I now work Mon-Thurs 8 hour days and can take a few weeks off here and there. Now that I have the time invested and a okay sized catalog, it’s starting to get fun again

Signature 

DZ FIRE’S
MASTER MODELS

Click HERE to get started.
Facebook

3 of 7