Digital Art Zone

1 of 7
Make a living as a creator on Daz3d?
Posted: 16 September 2013 05:12 AM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2012-06-12

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you guys have an idea wether a creator here on Daz3d can actually make a living, making stuff for the 3d store?
I mean, people like Stone Mason, Antfarm aso have been around for years, and have an impressive amount of stuff in their stores ...

Of course, it’s all about the quality of the products the creators produce, but are there buyers enough for a good 3d-creator to make a living?

I’m just currious. wink

Posted: 16 September 2013 05:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  810
Joined  2011-08-05

I really doubt that. Why?

I dont know exactly but I think DAZ keeps some money for the sold items, so you do not get the full price paid for your sold items (not sure about it, but I think it works that way because DAZ sales the items via their store).
So, just do a quick calculation of how many items you need at which price and how many buyers you need each month to have enough money for living. Sounds a bit utopical to me. Of course it also depends on how much money you need for living grin

Signature 

My DAZ gallery

Posted: 16 September 2013 05:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1652
Joined  2008-11-10
XoechZ - 16 September 2013 05:19 AM

I really doubt that. Why?

I dont know exactly but I think DAZ keeps some money for the sold items, so you do not get the full price paid for your sold items (not sure about it, but I think it works that way because DAZ sales the items via their store).
So, just do a quick calculation of how many items you need at which price and how many buyers you need each month to have enough money for living. Sounds a bit utopical to me. Of course it also depends on how much money you need for living grin

There are a few that actually do this full time. Depends on the quality of the items you put out and your work ethic.

Posted: 16 September 2013 05:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2012-06-12

Apparently you get 50% of the sales price (or less)...
https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/124117-As-a-Published-Artist-what-portion-of-the-sales-do-I-get-from-my-product-

Posted: 16 September 2013 05:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2263
Joined  2003-10-09

There are a handful who make a living doing this work full time.
I am one of them.
Self employment like this is not a path for everyone. You have to be very driven, and constantly creating.
You have to be prepared for the lean months, and know that sometimes no matter how much work you put into a project and how much time you spent on it…it may still be a huge flop and you will have to eat all that time you spent and just move on to the next thing and hope it does better.

Having a large back catalog of products helps you make it through the flops, but it always hurts when they do flop.

Plus you also have to keep up with all the new technology. You cannot expect something that you made two years before to have any real appeal to a new market who expects more from the products because of the fact that technology can do more. So it is constant learning.

So yeah…it can be done….but you have to have a real strong drive to do it and be able to work through the tough times.

Signature 

A step away from the ordinary
http://www.daz3d.com/shop/rawart/

Posted: 16 September 2013 06:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3455
Joined  2009-08-05

To do this full time is a risky business. Say for example you spend a month making a product and that product doesn’t sell. You can end up in deep trouble with bills and finances lol. So you have to release more frequent products in case one of them doesn’t do well. We basically live in front of our PC’s making content. Best bet is to always start out part time, see how well your products do, then if you feel it can be sustainable, go for it. It becomes a bit easier once you have a name established. But once full time you cannot afford to slowdown, unless you have a huge back catalog you can rely on for those months when productivity is a bit slow, or when you are working on big projects that take a long time to develop. And we do not mind Daz taking 50% because they do all the marketing and stuff that would cost us even more if we had to do or sell it ourselves. Plus Daz has the biggest market, so to sell here is worth it.

Signature 

My Daz Store
My Rendo Store

Posted: 16 September 2013 06:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1207
Joined  2003-12-16

without naming websites how big an affect do sites that post pirated content interfere with your creation process. As a PA do these things show up on your radar? Is the ownnes on the PA to pursue the incidents or does Daz try and remedy this situation?

Signature 

Gravy to potatoes, Luke to Darth Vader, I’m a souped up sucker and I’ll see you all later

Posted: 16 September 2013 06:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-05

Piracy will always be an issue. Sure it does affect sales in a way, but thankfully we have enough honest people here which allows us to continue to do what we do. And we are well aware of all the sites our stuff are pirated on, its removing them thats the issue. Once it goes viral, there is nothing you can do really. So all we can do is shake our fists and move on:) It is demotivating, but thats life. You just have to pick yourself up and move on.

Signature 

My Daz Store
My Rendo Store

Posted: 16 September 2013 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Piracy is a whole different issue.
We all try to fight it as much as we can…but it really does drain away alot of the incentive to keep doing this when you see something you make show up on pirate site within hours of being released…..and there are more pirated downloads than actual sales.

People kid themselves that it is a victimless crime when they pirate stuff…....but it does steal right out of our mouths all the months of hard work we put into developing the best products we possibly can.

Signature 

Posted: 16 September 2013 06:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-05

Ye true. So when we actually get a sale on a product, we bow our heads and say thank you:)

Signature 

My Daz Store
My Rendo Store

Posted: 16 September 2013 07:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  842
Joined  2004-04-05
Zev0 - 16 September 2013 06:48 AM

Ye true. So when we actually get a sale on a product, we bow our heads and say thank you:)

I sort of understand the urge to pirate some of the applications out there that cost 100’s if not 1000’s of dollars, that’s a lot of money for something that you’re not really going to use professionally. Though with all the viruses and malware out there today I’d be very leery of pretty much anything downloaded from one of those sites.

That said, I’ve never even considered pirating any of the PA’s content. Nothing personal Zev & Rawn but nothing you guys put out is something that I NEED so bad that I can’t wait until I can afford to pay for it. I mean most of the stuff here is less than $20.00, there is nothing in the store that anyone has to have that can’t wait until they can save up the $20.00 to spend on it.

Of course I used to work with a guy that would spend his evenings grabbing tons of music and movies from torrent sites and 90% of it he never listened to or watched. He had terabytes of the stuff just to say he had it. I guess it kept him off the streets.

Posted: 16 September 2013 07:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

yeah..thats part of the rub…..we really do price things as low as possible, so it is a real kick in the butt

Signature 

Posted: 16 September 2013 08:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1725
Joined  2008-02-14
udgang99 - 16 September 2013 05:33 AM

Apparently you get 50% of the sales price (or less)...

You have to do the math on that,  right now we’re in the middle of the PA Sale,  many customers say they only buy when things are on discount,  so let’s look at the numbers. 

Product price $ 10.00
50% discount during sales $5.00
DAZ has a 50% brokerage fee
PA portion $2.50
oh yah then there are those coupons which can easily drop the earning to $1.78,  $1.97 range depending how it’s applied. 

Do the math of 60% discount…

Do the math of 70% discount…

and then how many units do you have to sell,  to get your time cost back for the week or two it took to make it. 

As for Piracy,  when you see that your product has had 10 times more illegal downloads than actual legal purchases,  it hurts;  it hurts your motivation to keep doing this. 

Signature 

PUBLISHED ARTIST
First Bastion’s Environments here at Daz

Posted: 16 September 2013 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  711
Joined  2003-10-09

Not impossible, but you’d probably have a better chance becoming a professional basketball player.  Don’t quit your day job.

Signature 

I’m sooo confused…  I’ve come to grasp a little of the nature of reality and the answer to life, the universe, and everything.  I even have an inkling as to who and what I am. Auuummmmm…
But please, please, who the hell are you?  And why are you trampling my roses?

Posted: 16 September 2013 08:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  990
Joined  2006-02-27

I think a good way to start is making some nice freebie items, then taking on commissions, then maybe putting out some less expensive items and go from there. I know a lot of vendors that do really well and probably the same amount or more that do not do so well. I think if you are just starting out you could try doing something for dawn and have hivewire host it.

Posted: 16 September 2013 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  116
Joined  2012-09-03
FirstBastion - 16 September 2013 08:09 AM

As for Piracy,  when you see that your product has had 10 times more illegal downloads than actual legal purchases,  it hurts;  it hurts your motivation to keep doing this.

How do you know how many illegal downloads your product has? Do DAZ collect this data and give you reports; or is there an independent website that has that information (in which case i really would love to know about it, the url, i mean)?

1 of 7