Digital Art Zone

4 of 4
Use hair as grass?
Posted: 21 October 2013 07:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3654
Joined  2004-10-01

Rashad’s tutorial above is now assembled to a PDF document and I will put up the link once Rashad had the time to peer-review it.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 01 November 2013 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  160
Joined  2009-10-16

Hi all,

I kept working on a similar scene to my last example.
@Horo suggested to use grass blades only in the front part of the scene. I followed his advice.
@Rashad Carter had a great tutorial in parts for making clumps and then instancing those to avoid ‘overloading’ the instancing option. I practiced and tested and indeed, it works!
@Horo noted in my last submission the lack of sunlight. He was right.
I myself noted that the grass might have been to big and too dense (which you don’t see, but influences the memory a lot, I think).
@Horo and others also indicated I should use Large Address Aware.

So, I used the same terrain and started all over.
Used already existing clumps of ‘grass’ from Marvelous Designer to build one bigger clump, according to Rashad’s advice. Then started instancing, ensuring a lighter spread. Also added (and instanced) some trees. Added a lion (Mil Big Cat from DAZ 3D) and a women (Genesis version 1, DAZ 3D) and a horse (Milhorse, again from DAZ 3D). Also some bushes (of which one is s tree) as well as several 2d faces for some old autumnleaves in the grass (instanced).
I now also added some sunlight to ensure that ther is some shadow.
So, the result is 369984783 polygons big, but still renders quite quickly at Premium settings (Sky as IBL, True Ambience, 256 rays per pixel). Rendering done in less than a day.
I was not completely happy with the brightness of the result, so, after exporting to HDR, played around with Picturenaut to tone map and modify the result somewhat. I like the present version.

More improvements are certainly possible, e.g. by using the technique described by Rashad to use ‘a gradient image map for each leaf type’. Texturing, other than playing with the procedural textures, is really not my strength yet. There still is a lot to learn!

No issues with lack of memory anymore, but also no occasion where Process Monitor showed more than 1.6 GB memory need for this file, so apparently LAA was not needed.

So, again, I am happy with all feedback and advice. I will start playing with Marvelous Designer in an attempt to make other kinds of plants (that can be varied quickly). No idea where this will lead!

Image Attachments
Paradise.jpg

Posted: 02 November 2013 02:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3654
Joined  2004-10-01

@hansmar - huge improvement. Good idea to export the render as 48 or 96-bit and use the tone-mappers of Picturenaut. By the way, Picturenaut accepts Banterle’s plug-ins for HDRShop as well. Gives you a couple more operators.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

4 of 4