Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
astronaut suites
Posted: 13 September 2013 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  448
Joined  2012-08-15

I can’t believe that with the recent release of a lunar lander and the moon surface nobody thought to release a realistic looking astronaut suite complete with country flags for the arm and changeable names on the chest. 

Hope somebody is able to do a really great version ...  make sure the helmet looks like real.

good luck should you decide to accept this mission.

Signature 

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth.
─▀██▀─▄███▄─▀██─██▀██▀▀▀█─
──██─███─███─██─██─██▄█───
──██─▀██▄██▀─▀█▄█▀─██▀█───
─▄██▄▄█▀▀▀─────▀──▄██▄▄▄█...
While the heart beats, hope lingers..

Posted: 13 September 2013 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1566
Joined  2008-02-14

I think a lot of people just use the M3 Space Suit of Michael 3 and the texture add on pack. 

http://www.daz3d.com/m3-space-suit

http://www.daz3d.com/explorer-unit

Image Attachments
arp_lunar_1_1.jpg
 Signature 

PUBLISHED ARTIST
First Bastion’s Environments here at Daz

Posted: 13 September 2013 11:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  398
Joined  0

We really need something for Genesis, though.

I’d especially like a bulky, industrialised one, in the style of those shown in ‘Alien’.

http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/threads/6432-Nostromo-Space-Suit

Would especially love for something like DzFire’s line of military-style armoured suits, to be Genesis-ready, too. Love the look of them! Could do some great futuristic zero-gravity military themes with those.

Posted: 14 September 2013 01:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-08-15
FirstBastion - 13 September 2013 11:07 AM

I think a lot of people just use the M3 Space Suit of Michael 3 and the texture add on pack. 

http://www.daz3d.com/m3-space-suit

http://www.daz3d.com/explorer-unit

I wonder if that will work with Genesis.  Interesting that when I did a search for Astronaut, nothing came up. 

If its Michael 3 then your probably looking at a fairly old outfit in terms of materials and to be frank with you it doesn’t even start to look realistic.  Gone are the days when we can fart out cartoons with no basis in reality and expect that to sell. 

While I appreciate your feedback, those old suites belong in cartoons with Tom and Jerry, not a serious 2013 professional render.  They don’t even begin to look real.  It’s time for something new.

Image Attachments
maxresdefault.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 14 September 2013 05:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13574
Joined  2003-10-09

Given that a spacesuit is pretty bulky, I would suggest just parenting Genesis to the chest or neck of the suit and hiding all the parts below the neck - then pose the suit instead of the figure, and adjust the head within the helmet as needed. You would of course need to rework the material settings.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 14 September 2013 06:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1566
Joined  2008-02-14

Turbosquid has a few options for astronaut space suits.

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-astronaut-space-suit-model/691394

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-nasa-astronaut-apollo-11/760117

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/nasa-space-suit-3d-model/540074

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/space-woman-rigged-3d-ma/467755

Signature 

PUBLISHED ARTIST
First Bastion’s Environments here at Daz

Posted: 14 September 2013 06:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-08-15
FirstBastion - 14 September 2013 06:04 AM

Turbosquid has a few options for astronaut space suits.

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/space-woman-rigged-3d-ma/467755

I gotta give you an A for effort, thank you… I really like the looks of that one for $100 bucks but too bad its not a astronaut outfit and no way I’m I shelling out $300 bucks for that first one and it doesn’t even look much better then the 10 dollar recommendation.  I wouldn’t even begin to know how to want to use them with Genesis 2.

I suppose this will just have to be another pipe dream.  It’s pretty depressing to think that they would put the Lunar themes out and not have a new spacesuit for Genesis or 2f.

I don’t know why they call this the “Product Suggestions” thread… maybe they should call this the “How to recycle old outfits on new characters” thread.

Signature 

Posted: 14 September 2013 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  433
Joined  2009-07-24
Richard Haseltine - 14 September 2013 05:01 AM

Given that a spacesuit is pretty bulky, I would suggest just parenting Genesis to the chest or neck of the suit and hiding all the parts below the neck - then pose the suit instead of the figure, and adjust the head within the helmet as needed. You would of course need to rework the material settings.

I tried to use the M3 spacesuit on Genesis about a week ago with no luck. Couldn’t get the gloves and boots to pose with the suit among other problems.

Signature 

Someone please tell me what is so great about this century.

Posted: 14 September 2013 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13574
Joined  2003-10-09
Dino Gramps - 14 September 2013 08:45 AM
Richard Haseltine - 14 September 2013 05:01 AM

I tried to use the M3 spacesuit on Genesis about a week ago with no luck. Couldn’t get the gloves and boots to pose with the suit among other problems.

It looks as if the suit has a single gloves figure for both hands, so you have two options: conform the gloves to the suit (probably easiest as long as it worked) or load two copies of the gloves, hide one hand on each, and parent each to the matching hand of the suit.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 14 September 2013 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2262
Joined  2003-12-06
snowpheonix - 14 September 2013 01:12 AM

If its Michael 3 then your probably looking at a fairly old outfit in terms of materials and to be frank with you it doesn’t even start to look realistic.

Maybe not, but the mesh itself is still pretty good — and the helmet has a full set of slideable sunshades, tinted visors etc. If it had some proper modern material sets, especially for D|S, then that ought to compensate for most of its ancient creakiness.

Signature 

Gone to Vegas to play poker. Back when I run out of clothes.—Your Muse.

Posted: 14 September 2013 10:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  292
Joined  2008-05-23

There is a M4 Space Suit over at Renderosity.

Image Attachments
m4Spacesuit.png

Posted: 14 September 2013 10:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Joined  0

Honestly, the closest I’ve found for Genesis are Midnight Story products. Their Hyper Suit is a little more more astronaut-like, in terms of helmet, but it’s got this strange pointed shape on the rear of the head. Excellent attention to detail, but that part of it has the unfortunate consequence of making it seem like it was designed for Santa’s helpers with pointed hats. wink

The Nano Suit has a more traditional head, but more of an eye-like visor on the front.

Both, however, look more like segmented, metal-plated affairs. They only really work if you’re setting something far into the future.

There’s a product I can’t remember the name of, which is for Genesis. It’s like an environmental hazard suit and coloured orange. I almost purchased it for a near-future astronaut look (doesn’t have a back-pack for an oxygen supply, although, was going use something from another set for that), but then realised that, from certain angles, it’s clear that the helmet isn’t sealed to the rest of the clothing. Obviously, not what you need when you want to depict a character in a vacuum!

Posted: 15 September 2013 05:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-08-15
Xenomorphine - 14 September 2013 10:37 PM

Honestly, the closest I’ve found for Genesis are Midnight Story products. Their Hyper Suit is a little more more astronaut-like, in terms of helmet, but it’s got this strange pointed shape on the rear of the head. Excellent attention to detail, but that part of it has the unfortunate consequence of making it seem like it was designed for Santa’s helpers with pointed hats. wink

The Nano Suit has a more traditional head, but more of an eye-like visor on the front.

Both, however, look more like segmented, metal-plated affairs. They only really work if you’re setting something far into the future.

There’s a product I can’t remember the name of, which is for Genesis. It’s like an environmental hazard suit and colored orange. I almost purchased it for a near-future astronaut look (doesn’t have a back-pack for an oxygen supply, although, was going use something from another set for that), but then realised that, from certain angles, it’s clear that the helmet isn’t sealed to the rest of the clothing. Obviously, not what you need when you want to depict a character in a vacuum!

I like the hyper suit and Nano suit and own them both.  I found with the Nano suit that if you go into the surfaces tabs and change the shader/material for the visor (labeled glass for some reason), it’s a brilliant looking outfit but like you said, for the far future.

In the next few months a new movie is coming out called, “Gravity” and its a near future, Earth space station sci-fi thriller that has inspired me to want to make some Astronauts.  I thought I’d come check out my favorites here at DAZ3d and see if they had any good suites.

I love doing sci-fi renders and it would be great to have a astronaut to go with the models, moon terrain and space shuttles and everything else already recently put out by DAZ… I would have thought the astronaut suit was a no brainer and something was in the works already… I mean, we are talking about an outfit for figure posing that these guys specialize in.

Go figure.  Still, thanks for the ideas.

Image Attachments
nano1a.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 19 September 2013 07:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2010-02-18

I agree - I’d buy a Genesis space suit instantly.

The old M3 one is really not very good - a real spacesuit has internal pressure, and has a distinctly inflated look to it, with nothing hanging slack. They are thick with many layers of material too.

The M4 radiosity example is OK for an SciFi suit but is not at all realistic.

Posted: 23 October 2013 05:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1253
Joined  2005-02-25

Hmm it could be done just played around with my prototype suit did a bit of pushing and pulling. I really won’t know if it’s a goer till I can see the problem associated with the bulk and size of the mesh it may very well only fir the base genesis shape as the stretching and sizing would wreck all the bit like tubes and how to attach the tubes from the back to the front and still get the body to twist and bend without major distortions happening would be a nightmare. Well see

Image Attachments
SS-2.jpgSS-1.jpgSS-3.jpg
 Signature 

The Mind on the other side!
http://www.daz3d.com/shop/midnight_stories/

Posted: 23 October 2013 05:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Joined  0

Interesting look!

It might be an idea to adapt the Mœbius-designed suits for the Nostromo, from ‘Alien’ (visual reference given above). They’re bulky enough to pass for modern-day or near-future and have the bonus of no obvious external pipes and such (save for the rear, but they could possibly be eliminated with an inference of oxygen being supplied internally).

Something like this product seemed very much like it, until I noticed that the helmet and torso clothing have an obvious gap, alas:

http://www.daz3d.com/galactic-corps-defender

Alternatively, you could attempt something like a bio-hazard or radiation suit with a gas mask (not unlike the yellow one from ‘Back To The Future’) with a back-mounted air supply, along with a number of alternative textures: White astronaut, yellow nuclear, black biohazard, etcetera (or simply allow the user to select portions of the suit and custom-colour/shade them).

Something like that could be neat for depicting futuristic salvage teams going through ancient space hulks…

1 of 2