Digital Art Zone

7 of 47
mcjTeleBlender - render Daz Strudio scenes and animations using Blender’s Cycles Render Engine
Posted: 22 October 2012 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 91 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2032
Joined  2006-01-19

and in unrelated mews here’s the animation i was rendering

Image Attachments
yadoo.gif

Posted: 23 October 2012 07:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 92 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  655
Joined  2008-02-22
Tempest! - 22 October 2012 03:56 PM

The default cube is 2 meters across, not 1m. So, no, 4.878 is not correct.
If you switch to metric system in Blender (under Units in the Scene tab), you will clearly see that 1 unit equals 1 meter when using 1.0 scale.

Yea, your right.  I always have understood, that the default cube is 2x2x2 Blender Units, and “A BU is an arbitrary unit of measurement.”...so as long as you are consistent (proportional), it’s really not an issue.  I always had it in my head that the cube was 1m^2…but that was probably cause it was easiest for me to think of it that way.  smile

Since DS has a default of 1BU = 50cm, I made the Poser exporter a default of “Scale Up” x4.8768 after import.  That way they are consistent.  It probably needs a interface now, so I will work on that…which will let folks change it, if desired.

Signature 

+800 or so old forum posts, just so you know I’m not a newb!  tongue laugh

Posted: 28 October 2012 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 93 ]
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-11-18

Many thanks, Casual, for this superb piece of work.! I would never have discovered Cycles without it. When I export animation, I find that glossiness is missing although it is present in the same export to current frame.  Am I missing something?

Image Attachments
currnet_frame.jpganimation.jpg

Posted: 05 November 2012 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 94 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  655
Joined  2008-02-22

I found out that the smoothing/collision modifiers in DS do not export through the framework.  For example, I needed to use them for a problem such as this:  http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/10751/

Once exported to blender, the bodysuit had the same issue.

Signature 

+800 or so old forum posts, just so you know I’m not a newb!  tongue laugh

Posted: 04 December 2012 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 95 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-19
Yogino - 28 October 2012 07:30 AM

Many thanks, Casual, for this superb piece of work.! I would never have discovered Cycles without it. When I export animation, I find that glossiness is missing although it is present in the same export to current frame.  Am I missing something?

sorry i didnt respond earlier i missed this post

—-

the color ( usually a shade of gray )” on the specular channel of the surface in Daz Studio’s Surfaces tab
determines the amount of glossiness applied on a surface. white means full glossiness, black means no gloss

in teleblender itself, there’s 2 “master controls” for glossiness, “Gloss factor” and “Roughness” The first one controls the overall glossiness strength, in the image below, i set it to 0.5 to exaggerate the effect. A roughness on 0 almost gives a mirror surface.

The default values Gloss = 0.05 and Roughness = 0.15 were optimized for Aiko3’s default skin settings.

if you want a true mirror surface, in Daz Studio’s you can set the Reflection map for the Reflection channel to an image (any image). The material in blender will then use the glossiness type called “Sharp” which is a mirror effect. Note that unfortunately, the latest version of Blender 2.64 broke this feature ( meanies!) so you’ll have to manually set the chosen surface to use the “Sharp” gloss.

Image Attachments
ballz.jpg

Posted: 04 December 2012 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 96 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-19
3doutlaw - 05 November 2012 04:06 PM

I found out that the smoothing/collision modifiers in DS do not export through the framework.  For example, I needed to use them for a problem such as this:  http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/10751/

Once exported to blender, the bodysuit had the same issue.

in an earlier post i was saying you could use Daz Studio’s exporter to overwrite the .obj exported by mcjTeleblender
since it seems to apply the smooth modifier before the export

but the solution i use myself is to go in Scene/Edit/Geometry/Bake Smooth morphs

i will probably have to modify mcjTeleblender to make it wait a second or 2 before exporting the .obj.
Last time i exported an animation, i could see Daz Studio finish applying the smoothing modifier after the scene had started being exported ( lucky my English teachers never saw this sentence construct )

in the image shown below, the first time i exported this scene, there was a lot of poke-trough once it got to Blender,
so i baked the morphs (took a few seconds only) and this time Blender received the scene without poke-trough

Image Attachments
moretiles.jpgbakeme.jpg

Posted: 04 December 2012 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 97 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-19

Note about Blender Cycles and Windows 7’s display driver issues ( crashes ) 

this is not a problem with teleblender, but if Blender Cycles crashes your display driver, and/or Windows 7 itself, it seems to be related to Windows 7 time-out, if Blender Cycles hogs the display card for too long, Windows 7 panics and falls on its face.

one solution is to chop the rendering process in smaller pieces

for example if i render a 1920x1200 image with Full Global illumination and big textures, big geometry, Blender/Windows7 most likely crash

so i set Cycle’s Render tiling to 8 x 4
and the render completes without harm

another solution probably involves changing the Time-out Windows 7 uses before panicking

though i read somewhere it doesnt always solves the problem

the optimal solution according to another post i saw floating on the web is to use one display card for windows 7 and another display card for the Blender Cycles renders

Image Attachments
ommaomma.jpgomma2.jpg

Posted: 06 December 2012 07:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 98 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2009-09-25

I’m glad I found this thread. I’ve been looking for something to port characters I’ve created in DAZ Studio over to Blender. I have a few questions before I play around with this. Is this just for rendering in Blender something that has been pre-posed in DazStudio or is the character fully rigged and able to be posed and animated in Blender? Also, is there any adjustment needed to the materials once in Blender? Some of the renders you’ve posted have the character’s skin looking of one tone and have a kind of plastic appearance.

Posted: 06 December 2012 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 99 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-19
IsamuDyson - 06 December 2012 07:28 AM

I’m glad I found this thread. I’ve been looking for something to port characters I’ve created in DAZ Studio over to Blender. I have a few questions before I play around with this. Is this just for rendering in Blender something that has been pre-posed in DazStudio or is the character fully rigged and able to be posed and animated in Blender? Also, is there any adjustment needed to the materials once in Blender? Some of the renders you’ve posted have the character’s skin looking of one tone and have a kind of plastic appearance.

on daz studio’s side the mcjTeleblender script exports a scene, as obj/mtl/bat/py file(s), on Blender’s side, the blendbot scripts help import that scene and build node-based materials according to what was in the obj/mat/py files. All node-materials are a mix of matte and glossy. I did not spend much time (15 minutes?) trying to find the settings that make materials look like skin. there must be studies of this at blenderartists.org.

somewhere on the net there’s at least one person that has a system to import poser (and daz?) figures in Blender. Rigged animatable characters that is.

lets see if i can remember . . .( googling import poser blender ) . . . here! smile http://blender3dclub.com/posertools/index.php

Posted: 07 December 2012 03:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 100 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-09-25

Thanks for the link. I haven’t used DAZ Studio that much over the last year and a half so I haven’t kept up with what’s been happening on the DAZ side of things. I’ve been spending most of my time at Blender Cookie and Blender Guru doing tutorials and working on some stuff of my own. I know how to do some basic rigging and texturing. But, I came back to DAZ Studio because of the sale that’s going on. It’s saving me a lot of time when creating characters. I think your tool will do the trick for the texturing side of things. That’s the tedious part. I don’t mind the rigging side of things.

Poser Tools 2 for Blender shows that the Poser Character Exporter goals are all in the red. So, I don’t think that’s going to work for the time being.

Posted: 09 December 2012 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 101 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-19

─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
~~~ solved issue ~~~ solved issue ~~~ solved issue ~~~ solved issue ~~~ solved issue ~~~

( from a post by Wiseavatar )

when you have clothing items using Smoothing Modifiers,
they are not applied during the transfer (obj export) to Blender

the solution is to go in the clothing figure’s parameters tab and
set the Smoothing Modifier’s “interactive updates” property ON

Image Attachments
interactive.jpgsmosmo.jpg

Posted: 11 December 2012 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 102 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-09-25

I’m not sure exactly were to put the mcjTeleBlender.zip contents. In the installation instructions it says it goes in the contents folder which is usually in the “C:\program Files\Daz\Studio\Content”.

But with DAZ Studio 4 the program directory is
C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\ with a scripts folder but now content folder.
The content folder is located under
C:\Users\(username)\Mydocuments\DAZ 3D\Studio4\Content.
Should I put the scripts in the scripts folder found in the DAZStudio4 directory or the Content directory which doesn’t have a script folder?

Posted: 11 December 2012 08:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 103 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-19
IsamuDyson - 11 December 2012 04:59 PM

I’m not sure exactly were to put the mcjTeleBlender.zip contents. In the installation instructions it says it goes in the contents folder which is usually in the “C:\program Files\Daz\Studio\Content”.

But with DAZ Studio 4 the program directory is
C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\ with a scripts folder but now content folder.
The content folder is located under
C:\Users\(username)\Mydocuments\DAZ 3D\Studio4\Content.
Should I put the scripts in the scripts folder found in the DAZStudio4 directory or the Content directory which doesn’t have a script folder?

yes you can unzip it in Daz Studio folders named Content, or “My Library”

if the installation went well, you’ll then find it in Daz Studio’s content tab under

“Daz Studio Formats / Studio4 / scripts / mcasual
or
“Daz Studio Formats / My Library / scripts / mcasual

in Daz studio, if you go in Edit / Preferences / Content Library / Content Directory Manager
you can add or remove which folders are “seen” by Daz studio as content folders

—-

( random image to decorate the forum )

Image Attachments
tippin.jpg

Posted: 11 December 2012 11:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 104 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-09-25

Thanks for the help. For some reason I was thinking it was something that integrated into DAZ Studio as a kind of render option. I guess I should have read the instructions further.

With so many different content folders I’m glad the Content Library Tab has a search bar so I don’t have to memorize where everything is. Typing “mcj” pulls it up quickly.

Posted: 13 December 2012 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 105 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-09-25

Works nice, with the exception of GPU rendering. It keeps crashing blender. I have an evga gtx 260 superclocked with 896MB of memory. So, I think I’m running out of memory. I’ve got my eye on a gtx 660 superclocked with 4GB of memory. Hopefully I can pick up one, maybe two, within a couple of months. I can put up to 3 video cards at 16x each on my mobo. Although, I’ll have to up grade my power supply as well.

Also, I found this blog post by Blender Guru on some tweaks to speed up Cycles. In the comments, Thomas Dinges, gives tips on how to get a better looking render with lower samples. Lower samples = faster render times.

http://www.blenderguru.com/4-easy-ways-to-speed-up-cycles/

7 of 47