Digital Art Zone

11 of 53
mcjTeleBlender:Daz Studio scenes/animations w/Blender’s Cycles Engine
Posted: 19 February 2013 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 151 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  262
Joined  2010-07-08

What do you mean by “smoothing” the materials?  Does that alter the mesh objects in any way?

Posted: 19 February 2013 09:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 152 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2297
Joined  2006-01-19
daveleitz68 - 19 February 2013 08:23 AM

What do you mean by “smoothing” the materials?  Does that alter the mesh objects in any way?

in mcjTeleblender’s panel there’s a check-box option named “Set Smooth”

When it’s On, just after the daz scene gets imported in Blender, all objects have the “smooth” modifier applied to them

without “smooth” all the objects look faceted

the only drawback is that faceted objects like cubes don’t look flat

in Blender if you type T it makes the Object Tools panel visible

and in that panel there’s a Smooth button and a Flat button

Image Attachments
withoutsmoothing.pngwithsmooth.png

Posted: 20 February 2013 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 153 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  262
Joined  2010-07-08

Oh, that’s all it is.  I haven’t noticed a problem with smoothing so far.  I usually add a level of subdivision for rendering which helps hair and clothing look better.

Posted: 22 February 2013 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 154 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  73
Joined  2012-01-13

Casual,

Love your Daz to Blender scripts!  But I’m mainly using Carrara now.  Any chance you can
can port your scripts to Carrara > Blender { cycles } export?

I think you’ll find high end users with Carrara that would really appreciate it!

thanks

Posted: 24 February 2013 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 155 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-19
3dtoday - 22 February 2013 09:01 AM

Casual,

Love your Daz to Blender scripts!  But I’m mainly using Carrara now.  Any chance you can
can port your scripts to Carrara > Blender { cycles } export?

I think you’ll find high end users with Carrara that would really appreciate it!

thanks

hello

acually, the blender-script part of this can very probably be used to import obj. files from Carrara.

i plan to eventually post a script ( it sort of already exists ) to make it more user friendly, notably for rendering animations.

note that many of the tricks carrara can do wont be supported by the scripts since they are not part of the obj files

———————
i’ll make a test right now, i only have a standard Carrara—

test :

- i load the sample scene named “View of back and table Lamps”

- i save it as an obj with the default options—- i save it as C:\teleblender\Back and Table Lamps.obj

-  i load it in Blender to see if it’s accepted .... yes !

- so i write a small standard python script ( i base it on one of the scripts produced by mcjTeleBlender/Daz )

i save it as C:\teleblender\Back and Table Lamps.py

( note how we use front-slashes instead of backslashes for the path to carrara’s .obj file )

import mcjBlendBot
mcjBlendBot
.setGloss.033.25 )
mcjBlendBot.setImageSize1280720 )
mcjBlendBot.setCyclesSettings"EXPERIMENTAL""GPU""CUDA"240 )
mcjBlendBot.setSmoothTrue )
mcjBlendBot.setEdgeSplitTrue )
mcjBlendBot.loadfix"C:/teleblender/Back and Table Lamps.obj""CYCLESMATS"""True 

then i write a batchfile named C:\teleblender\Back and Table Lamps.bat

"C:/Program Files/Blender Foundation/Blender/blender.exe" -"C:\teleblender\Back and Table Lamps.py" 

i cross my fingers and i launch “Back and Table Lamps.bat”

yay ! i’m in blender, the scene was loaded and my mcjBlendBot scripts did the huge work of converting all the materials in the scene into material/nodes

the scene is too big and hard to handle, so i click on ‘A’  to selecte everything and scale it down by typing S and 0.1

i create a camera, position it

add a few lights by converting their materials to “emissive”

the result is shown below - ( interior scenes with few small lights are always noisy, this is a 1000 samples render )

so if you understood what i did here you can render some Carrara scenes in Blender/Cycles today !

but as i was saying i plan to make it easier , by writing a Blender or a Carrara script ... this spring or summer smile

the second image shows the export settings i used in Carrara

Image Attachments
indahouse.pngdef.jpg

Posted: 24 February 2013 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 156 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  73
Joined  2012-01-13

WOW Casual!

This looks truly Fantastic.  You are a life saver .  Thanks So much!

I’ll see if I can get it going this week   Amazing!

thanks

PS:  Will the summer version export animation, you think?

Posted: 24 February 2013 11:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 157 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-19
3dtoday - 24 February 2013 07:47 PM

WOW Casual!

thanks

there will be animation yes, on blender’s side it’s just a matter of writing a python script as shown above but with 1 line per .obj file to render and a batch file with 1 line per obj file to render. Those 2 files would be generated by blender after you specify where your .obj files are located.

i know poser can export sequences of numbered .obj files. But for Carrara i don’t know if someone wrote a plugin or script to do it .
else i’ll have to get acquainted with Carrara’s plugin SDK.

——
10000 samples blender-cycles render

Image Attachments
indahouse2.png

Posted: 25 February 2013 01:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 158 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-19

WOW Casual!

thanks

note that if you export from carrara in DAE format and import it in Blender,using File/import the results are not that bad in fact the colors seem OK compares to the obj import (don’t know whose fault) plus the DAE includes the lights. But animation doesn’t seem to work

the furniture is at odd locations because i was testing animations, not because there was a problem on the import

but if i save a collada scene file with animation, the scene comes out all messed up in Blender—- is seems to be an issue of scaling, as if Blender’s collada importer didn’t read the animated transforms from the DAE

Image Attachments
MimiOnTheBeach.png

Posted: 25 February 2013 01:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 159 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2010-05-22
Casual - 25 February 2013 01:02 AM

WOW Casual!

thanks

note that if you export from carrara in DAE format and import it in Blender,using File/import the results are not that bad in fact the colors seem OK compares to the obj import (don’t know whose fault) plus the DAE includes the lights. But animation doesn’t seem to work

the furniture is at odd locations because i was testing animations, not because there was a problem on the import

but if i save a collada scene file with animation, the scene comes out all messed up in Blender—- is seems to be an issue of scaling, as if Blender’s collada importer didn’t read the animated transforms from the DAE

Causal,

I am curious.  Can you export the entire scene in DAE format from DAZ Studio 4.5 or does this just work from Carrara?

Another question…  Do your Cycles material conversions scripts still work on a Carrara DAE scene import?

Thanks,

Marcus

Posted: 25 February 2013 01:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 160 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-19

WOW Casual!

thanks

i found part of the reason the materials in the .obj file from carrrara didnt work very well

it’s better to avoid having blank spaces in the filenames and in the material names

down the road, my blenderBot scripts will be able to pre-process the .mtl files and make them “presentable” in Blender’s eye

Posted: 25 February 2013 02:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 161 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-19
Curved Design - 25 February 2013 01:16 AM

Causal,

I am curious.  Can you export the entire scene in DAE format from DAZ Studio 4.5 or does this just work from Carrara?

Thanks,

Marcus

i think Daz Studio can only export full scenes ( sometimes or always, only what’s visible )

exchanges done through Collada are often problematic, for instance the Sketchup dae files usually dont load well in Blender/daz

Carrara’s non-animated collada files looked fine in Blender

note that a very very precious free file conversion tool is Audodesk FBX converter, it can convert a collada file to an fbx file, then convert this fbx into an obj or a few other formats, it sometimes work for 3DWaregouse models ( sketchup’s KMZ files are in fact zip files containing a collada file and the texture images, you simply rename the .kmz to .zip, unzip )

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=10775855

————-

in the image below you see a saz studio 4.5 scene exported as collada, then imported in Blender

there would be issues to fix but at least there’s animation

Image Attachments
abra.gif

Posted: 25 February 2013 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 162 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2010-05-22
Casual - 25 February 2013 02:02 AM
Curved Design - 25 February 2013 01:16 AM

Causal,

Do your Cycles material conversions scripts still work on a Carrara DAE scene import?

Thanks,

Marcus

i think Daz Studio can only export full scenes ( sometimes or always, only what’s visible )

exchanges done through Collada are often problematic, for instance the Sketchup dae files usually dont load well in Blender/daz

Carrara’s non-animated collada files looked fine in Blender

note that a very very precious free file conversion tool is Audodesk FBX converter, it can convert a collada file to an fbx file, then convert this fbx into an obj or a few other formats, it sometimes work for 3DWaregouse models ( sketchup’s KMZ files are in fact zip files containing a collada file and the texture images, you simply rename the .kmz to .zip, unzip )

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=10775855

————-

in the image below you see a saz studio 4.5 scene exported as collada, then imported in Blender

there would be issues to fix but at least there’s animation

Casual,

On Friday Ton posted this tweet, lets hope COLLADA gains some momentum!

https://twitter.com/tonroosendaal/status/304967181345632258

Do your Cycles material conversions scripts still work on a Carrara DAE scene import?

Marcus

Posted: 25 February 2013 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 163 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1762
Joined  2012-03-24

Casuall,, so thanks about your mchTeleBlender,, cycles render is amazing for me ,,,,,,,
then,, I want to ask some quesiton for material setting,, in Cycles of Blender ^^;

I often feel difficulity about “tears” and “eye lushes” material when export from daz studio

if there is good setting when export?  or what seems best way to modify it?
(I can not understand clear still,,red face how adjust material and shader in blender )

Or simply try and modify,, in blender?  eg, I hope to Tear more transparent,,
in daz I simply opacity zero,, but in blender material window,, I can not clear where is the properties about opacity,
so just remove surfaces ,, but is there any good way,,?

And I sometimes need to apply texture again,, in blender (after export scene,, some texture missed or change ,,
Is it problem of setting when use your awsome script?
I hope to know about export option of materials ^^;

(I thik,, it is about Blender quesiton,, too,, so if it is wrong to ask here,, forgive me ^^;
I may need serch more better topic or make new topic,,,)

Edit (I set wrong image,, so correct now shut eye  )

Image Attachments
blenderset.JPGsetting.JPG

Posted: 25 February 2013 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 164 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1310
Joined  2003-12-16

All props due, the plugin ROCKS!
I have some questions about it, though I did not get to really play with it before it was time to get up and go to work
I downloaded whatever version is on the google page as of 02/24/13
I’m using Blender 2.66 and Studio 3.1.2.34 ADV 64bit Win 7 64 bit

• My eyes on V4 came out white, like “my name is legion for I am many” white on two figures, in 3Delight they look fine. Is there some surface need to look for that does not translate well to the plugin or is this a bug?

• Camera values below 65mm did not appear to translate to the export from Studio to Blender, is there a trick to this?

• A textured surface in Studio with the horizontal and vertical tiles both with a value of 10 seemed to react when rendered in Blender to have a tile value of 1. the offset was 0 on x,y

• Can I use Studio lights or should I use Blender lights, this will be an interior shot, I would like to use light sources in lamps and ceilings
• How do you use Blender lights?

Signature 

Gravy to potatoes, Luke to Darth Vader, I’m a souped up sucker and I’ll see you all later

Posted: 25 February 2013 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 165 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  401
Joined  2012-04-01
Casual - 24 February 2013 11:48 PM

i know poser can export sequences of numbered .obj files. But for Carrara i don’t know if someone wrote a plugin or script to do it .
else i’ll have to get acquainted with Carrara’s plugin SDK.

Here is a 3$ plugin that export multiple obj files from Carrara for animation, free demo does 10 frames:
http://fenric.com/wordpress/store/products/object-sequence-exporter/

Thank you for trying to get Carrara into Cycles.

Signature 

Everything about Carrara: http://www.carraracafe.com/

11 of 53