Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
OS X install Carrara 8.5
Posted: 05 September 2013 07:58 PM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2003-12-01

So I decided to upgrade.
I’ve read the forums, looked for Daz help to install content, tried moving them to “Package/Data”, etc., and nothing.
Is it too much to ask to install software, open the program, and have it work?
I’ve tried moving content to several folders in the Carrara “Package”, but to no avail.

I haven’t been able to use Carrara for a couple years because of OS X updates, and was so excited to finally purchase an update.
First time opening 32 bit, it crashed.
Had to open 64 bit, enter name and serial to get 32 bit to work.

Just cut Mac OS loose if you don’t want to support it. Easier than going through this crap, just to try and make it work.

Sigh.

Posted: 05 September 2013 08:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Joined  2003-12-01

And another thing.
Let’s say I do move contents to the package folder. Do I have to duplicate contents for both 32 bit and 64 bit?
I don’t know which I’d rather use yet, because I’ve been to busy just trying to get them to work.
So much for being excited for an upgrade…

Posted: 06 September 2013 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  99
Joined  2007-04-21
Acumowchek - 05 September 2013 07:58 PM

So I decided to upgrade.
I’ve read the forums, looked for Daz help to install content, tried moving them to “Package/Data”, etc., and nothing.
Is it too much to ask to install software, open the program, and have it work?
I’ve tried moving content to several folders in the Carrara “Package”, but to no avail.

I haven’t been able to use Carrara for a couple years because of OS X updates, and was so excited to finally purchase an update.
First time opening 32 bit, it crashed.
Had to open 64 bit, enter name and serial to get 32 bit to work.

Just cut Mac OS loose if you don’t want to support it. Easier than going through this crap, just to try and make it work.

Sigh.

Assuming you are referring to the Native Content (shaders, landscapes, etc.)...

- Go to your “Applications” folder

- Find the “DAZ 3D” folder and open it

- Open the “Carrara8.5 64-bit” folder

- RIGHT click or CONTROL click on the Carrara application icon

- A menu will pop up. Choose “Show Package Contents”

- Open the “Contents” folder

- Open the “MacOS” folder

- Put the “Scenes” and “Presets” folder into the “MacOS” folder.

Done.

Now when you launch Carrara all the content will appear in the tabbed browser at the bottom of the screen.

Posted: 06 September 2013 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  99
Joined  2007-04-21
Acumowchek - 05 September 2013 08:12 PM

And another thing.
Let’s say I do move contents to the package folder. Do I have to duplicate contents for both 32 bit and 64 bit?
I don’t know which I’d rather use yet, because I’ve been to busy just trying to get them to work.
So much for being excited for an upgrade…

Yes. If you have two different versions of Carrara installed you will have to do it for both. Just follow the directions above.

Posted: 06 September 2013 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2003-12-01

Thank you SO MUCH.
I was putting things in MacOS/Data, along with the other Carrara folders.
I’m excited again!

Sorry for the rant…

Posted: 06 September 2013 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  417
Joined  2008-08-29

Don’t forget to move the Data folder as well

https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/22530930-Native-Content-in-Carrara-8-5-Mac

edited to add: actually “move” is the wrong thing to do if you plan on using DIM (which I highly recommend). If it was installed with DIM then make symbolic links per the linked instructions.

Signature 

Swamp Living Never Felt So Good

Posted: 06 September 2013 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2003-12-01

DIM looks to be a great help in managing content. I hope it succeeds.
Terminal commands all done. Time to have fun.
Thanks again.

Posted: 06 September 2013 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  388
Joined  0
thoromyr - 06 September 2013 12:06 PM

edited to add: actually “move” is the wrong thing to do if you plan on using DIM (which I highly recommend). If it was installed with DIM then make symbolic links per the linked instructions.

shockexcaimquestion  Holy moly! Either I’m stupid, or there’s an enormous error in those instructions in the link.

While the instructions for the Presets and Scenes folders seem to be correct, the information regarding the Data folder is not.

In my Macintosh Carrara installation the “Data” folder was installed correctly. It was already located inside the Carrara.app package.
The instructions in the link above would have you make a symbolic link at the same location of the existing Data folder. In addition to that, the link would point to a non-existing folder in the Carrara8.5 folder.
While my first thought was that this would clobber the actuall Data folder in the Carrara.app package, what actually happens is that the symbolic link is created one level deeper, inside the Data folder.
The result of this operation ends up adding a broken symbolic link into the existing contents of the Data folder.
Doing this will most likely not affect Carrara’s operation, but it is wrong nonetheless.

It is my opinion the the writer of these instructions actually meant to specify the “pics” folder rather than the “Data” folder. In my Carrara installation, the pics folder was incorrectly installed by the DIM, and needed to be moved into the Carrara.app package.

Signature 

-Dean

DAZ Gallery: http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/1922/

Posted: 06 September 2013 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2003-12-01

Oh great.
I don’t use the Terminal much, so I hope I didn’t screw anything up.

:-o

Posted: 06 September 2013 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-08-29
de3an - 06 September 2013 01:55 PM
thoromyr - 06 September 2013 12:06 PM

shockexcaimquestion  Holy moly! Either I’m stupid, or there’s an enormous error in those instructions in the link.

While the instructions for the Presets and Scenes folders seem to be correct, the information regarding the Data folder is not.

In my Macintosh Carrara installation the “Data” folder was installed correctly. It was already located inside the Carrara.app package.
The instructions in the link above would have you make a symbolic link at the same location of the existing Data folder. In addition to that, the link would point to a non-existing folder in the Carrara8.5 folder.
While my first thought was that this would clobber the actuall Data folder in the Carrara.app package, what actually happens is that the symbolic link is created one level deeper, inside the Data folder.
The result of this operation ends up adding a broken symbolic link into the existing contents of the Data folder.
Doing this will most likely not affect Carrara’s operation, but it is wrong nonetheless.

It is my opinion the the writer of these instructions actually meant to specify the “pics” folder rather than the “Data” folder. In my Carrara installation, the pics folder was incorrectly installed be the DIM, and needed to be moved into the Carrara.app package.

How much of the installation did you do yourself vs DIM? There are three content packages to be installed and it is a known problem (unless it has already been fixed) that DIM doesn’t put them in the correct location. The problem may be limited to DIM and not affect the standalone installers.

Did you miss installing one so that folder didn’t exist? I’m not saying you did anything wrong or missed anything, but the folder certainly existed on my system. OTOH, I had already messed with symlinks (apparently I missed one, or I’m not sure what because it didn’t work) and otherwise managing things from the terminal (I put all of fenric’s fine extensions in a Extensions/Fenric, and DCG’s under Extensions/DCG, etc., to keep things organized).

It seems that because it is called Carrara8 native content and there is Carrara 8.5 native content that some people have not installed the Carrara 8 version thinking it was replaced by the 8.5.

Certainly after following those instructions I was able to access the wizards again.

Note: At least on linux if you try to create a symbolic link to an existing destination the operation will fail with an error (I’m not on a mac at present) so running the indicated commands should not ruin anything.

Signature 

Posted: 06 September 2013 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  0
Acumowchek - 06 September 2013 01:58 PM

Oh great.
I don’t use the Terminal much, so I hope I didn’t screw anything up.

:-o

Did you follow GigaShadow’s instructions for moving the Presets and Scenes folders, or did you use the Terminal procedure?
Since the UNIX operating system accessed by the Terminal app seems to be smart enough not to clobber the original folders, I think you’ll be ok.

I’m assuming that the DIM installed my Carrara in the same way as everyone else’s.

Signature 

-Dean

Posted: 06 September 2013 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2003-12-01

So far so good. Everything seems to be working.
I’m at work right now, so playing time is limited. wink

Posted: 06 September 2013 02:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-08-29

ah, I missed you saying the Data symlink would be made in MacOS/Data/... yes, that would happen because they are directories. Worse, if there was an (incorrect) Data folder in the application bundle the symlink wouldn’t help anything by having the symlink created in the wrong place.

it is easy to check: for those not comfortable in a terminal navigate to the carrara app in Finder. If you don’t see a Data folder along side it then the symlink command would certainly not help. If it is there, right click and select show contents. Then browse to Contents/MacOS/Data and see if there is a “Data” entry inside.

If you have two Data folders (one in the Carrara folder, one in the carrara application bundle that isn’t a symlink) and aren’t comfortable sorting things out yourself I *highly* recommend putting in a ticket with customer support.

Signature 

Posted: 06 September 2013 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-08-29
de3an - 06 September 2013 02:16 PM

I’m assuming that the DIM installed my Carrara in the same way as everyone else’s.

If you used DIM, it should’ve been installed in the same way. Did you install all three content bundles? I’m not at home to check, but I remember DIM showing three content “files” in addition to the C8.5 application. They should be:

Carrara 8.5 Pro Native Content Pro
Carrara 8.5 Native Content Pro
Carrara 8 Native Content

I guess I’ve been assuming Pro—hadn’t thought about that, my bad if that is the case. But my understanding is that some people have not installed “Carrara 8 Native Content” due to it not being labeled as 8.5 and are missing the base content. Which it would not surprise if that is where the Data folder comes from (I haven’t checked and am not at home to use DIM to see what the files associated with each are).

Signature 

Posted: 06 September 2013 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Joined  0
thoromyr - 06 September 2013 02:16 PM

How much of the installation did you do yourself vs DIM? There are three content packages to be installed and it is a known problem (unless it has already been fixed) that DIM doesn’t put them in the correct location. The problem may be limited to DIM and not affect the standalone installers.

Did you miss installing one so that folder didn’t exist? I’m not saying you did anything wrong or missed anything, but the folder certainly existed on my system. OTOH, I had already messed with symlinks (apparently I missed one, or I’m not sure what because it didn’t work) and otherwise managing things from the terminal (I put all of fenric’s fine extensions in a Extensions/Fenric, and DCG’s under Extensions/DCG, etc., to keep things organized).

It seems that because it is called Carrara8 native content and there is Carrara 8.5 native content that some people have not installed the Carrara 8 version thinking it was replaced by the 8.5.

Certainly after following those instructions I was able to access the wizards again.

Note: At least on linux if you try to create a symbolic link to an existing destination the operation will fail with an error (I’m not on a mac at present) so running the indicated commands should not ruin anything.

I let the DIM install everything and ended up with a Carrara8.5 64-bit folder that contained the Presets and Scenes (and pics) folders, but not the Data folder. The Data folder was already installed inside the Carrara.app/Contents/MacOS folder.

The Presets folder was correctly built by the DIM to include all three of the native content downloads. It was just not installed in the correct final position.

The pics folder has also been located in Carrara.app/Contents/MacOS in all of my previous Carrara installs, so I’m assuming that it also needs to be moved.

If your installation had the Data folder located in the Carrara8.5 64-bit folder, then I’m at a loss to understand why mine was not.

Signature 

-Dean

Posted: 06 September 2013 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1137
Joined  2007-10-17

We are testing the fix to Install Manager, with luck you will have it next week.

The problem with actually moving the folders, as opposed to using the Sim link is that Install Manager won’t know where you moved them to, so if there is an update, Install Manager can’t do things correctly.

1 of 2