Digital Art Zone

2 of 3
A Technique for Creating Realistic Oceans and Seas
Posted: 05 September 2013 06:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  563
Joined  2011-07-03

To all those who have posted, thanks for your comments and feedback. I offer this up for all those who have shared their encouragements, suggestions, and ideas to me this past year.

PS: Please be sure to post and share any new ideas you gleam from this!

FD

Signature 

The most complex object in mathematics, the Mandelbrot Set ... is so complex as to be uncontrollable by mankind and describable as ‘chaos’. — Benoit Mandelbrot

Posted: 05 September 2013 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2041
Joined  2008-01-28

yeah! thanks so much for that. I can’t wait till I have a minute to sit down and dissect this piece by little piece.

much obliged smile

Signature 

http://andrewfinnie.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 06 September 2013 12:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2007-09-14

I am still looking for a way how to make ocean into irregular shape (ideally boolean intersection of arbitrary vertex object). Seems this is impossible in Carrara. Any ideas ?

Posted: 06 September 2013 03:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7667
Joined  2009-07-13

Thx grabbed to look at
now
need to add animate-able height maps to Carrara 9 wishlist so can do moving terrain oceans!!!

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 06 September 2013 05:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  236
Joined  0

Thank you. This was really interesting.

I grabbed it and did some quick testing.

I did change the shader , That is, I used one of my own Ocean shader, but reused yours distribution and color channels.
It has also transparency. I forgot to check the reflections. That is actually a very good point from you. My bad… red face

This was rendered out with sky light.
What I have experienced earlier, is that when using transparency and skylight the ground and colour of the ground is important.
I used an infinite plane set at -1000 feet. and colour black.

One thing I have also discovered earlier is that the settings in the transparency channel in combination with the colour channel is also important for the colour of the ocean.
But I have not been able to break it down to something usefully.

Image Attachments
Doc1.jpgDoc3.jpg
 Signature 

My freebies : http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=Varsel

Posted: 06 September 2013 05:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  563
Joined  2011-07-03
Varsel - 06 September 2013 05:20 AM

I grabbed it and did some quick testing.

I did change the shader , That is, I used one of my own Ocean shader, but reused yours distribution and color channels.
It has also transparency. I forgot to check the reflections. That is actually a very good point from you. My bad… red face

This was rendered out with sky light.
What I have experienced earlier, is that when using transparency and skylight the ground and colour of the ground is important.
I used an infinite plane set at -1000 feet. and colour black.

One thing I have also discovered earlier is that the settings in the transparency channel in combination with the colour channel is also important for the colour of the ocean.
But I have not been able to break it down to something usefully.

Varsel, one of the great things about Carrarans is the willingness to experiment and share their thoughts and what they’ve learned. Well done!

I was going to start testing the use of transparency in my ocean shader sometime this month, and your experiences have definitely helped set the groundwork.

BTW, IMHO, I like the image w/o the ground plane. Maybe a “sea green” colored plane would do it for me. wink You’ve definitely got me interested in doing more experimentation now. Thanks!

FD

Signature 

The most complex object in mathematics, the Mandelbrot Set ... is so complex as to be uncontrollable by mankind and describable as ‘chaos’. — Benoit Mandelbrot

Posted: 06 September 2013 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  226
Joined  2006-08-27

WOW!!!

Thank you so much! This is a full length full feature tutorial!

I’ve been rushing to finish my entry before I leave today. So I will have to look at this again and at length when I get back, but I just want to say a HUGE thank you for sharing all this!

Signature 

My Showcase at Carrara Cafe

Posted: 06 September 2013 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5452
Joined  2006-08-27

Basically your terrain, plane or ocean primitive is a 2D skin with no real thickness. A closed shape such as cube or sphere is basically a balloon with no volume. Basically, the transparency settings for In-scattering and Absorption are ways to mimic how light passes through a transparent or nearly transparent volume.

If you use a color in the channels, you not only effect the hue of the effect, but also the amount of light that is scattered or absorbed. The brighter the color, the less the light is scattered and absorbed, the darker the color, the more is scattered and absorbed. The lighting and camera angle, plus other settings can really change the look as well. For water, it’s a great way to create deep or murky water.

Below is an image where I played around with the absorption and in-scattering.

Image Attachments
water-hole.jpg
 Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 06 September 2013 09:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1373
Joined  2008-01-01

Really great that this subject has come up for discussion - thanks for the really good explanation and sharing, Fractaldimensia.

I have also been playing around with getting a decent ocean using terrains and got some reasonable results. 

My trusty old PC died this week, so can’t show results (Right now I’m using a small laptop that is only used for e-mail and such).  Will hopefully be able to recover the HD this weekend and be able to join in.

Couple of tricks which I can add, though.  I found it difficult to get a balance between choppy and jagged, so your example will help me there.  What has worked and worth trying is that as a starting point I’ve used a free app Caustic Generator, which generates fake caustic maps as a heightmap in the terrain editor.

Distant lights under the surface, pointing upwards, help to give the ocean some depth

The terrain responds well to the wave modifier, which can be animated . Once got a pretty good motorboat animation using Sparrowhawk’s Follow Terrain plugin.

Looking forward to seeing a lot more great ideas - I too am a great ocean fan.  smile

Posted: 07 September 2013 04:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2006-03-07

@FractalDimensia, normally i would avoid doing ocean scenes, but this guide has changed everything, it’s really easy to follow and having the scene to download is really helpful. Thank you. smile

Posted: 07 September 2013 05:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  130
Joined  2010-06-04

Very nicely done FractalDimensia——thanks for taking the time to share your ideas and techniques——-have to get a chance to practice some of these. And hey folks…...why don’t we try and keep this thread going a bit with some of our ocean scenes from what we know or learned here to expand the topic….....I have to get some done myself now——-

and I think its this kind of stuff in Carrara that out of the box with a little tweaking competes decently with a lot of high end applications. Certainly in terms of ease of doing it—-it’s in a place by itself——at any price!

rich

Signature 

If you like or like to try animation -try the new place for animation for Carrara at http://bond3d.wix.com/carrarators#!forum/cl3g

Posted: 08 September 2013 05:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  336
Joined  2007-07-31

I have tried and tried and could never get near what you have created in those first shots- it’s the most realistic looking ocean made with carrara that I’ve seen.!

I look forward to trying your file - thanks for making it available !

Signature 

http://bond3d.wix.com/carrarators#!home/mainPage

Posted: 10 September 2013 01:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-07-31

Thats a pity - its not an ocean primitive and doesn’t animate -

Signature 

Posted: 10 September 2013 08:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  111
Joined  0
0oseven - 10 September 2013 01:21 AM

Thats a pity - its not an ocean primitive and doesn’t animate -

It is animatable….Just use the wave modifier….or even a couple of wave modifiers stacked.raspberry

Posted: 11 September 2013 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-07-31

Thanks
I tried that and didn’t seem to work but maybe I had some incorrect setting = will try again. thanks again.

Signature 

2 of 3