4 of 17
Carrara 9 feature request
Posted: 07 September 2013 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6130
Joined  2007-12-04
Sockratease - 06 September 2013 05:12 AM

It would be nice to add the render room settings to the “undo list” - can’t say how many times I changed something, rendered, and couldn’t get the old setting back exactly (indirect light settings, photon counts in caustics, etc) and even worse - if one changes to NPR, just for funzies, returning to photoreal will reset everything and all settings are lost.

OMG, No! Please! Okay, maybe in a separate “Render Room Undo”...
That would kill me!
Ahhhhh… never mind… I get it…

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 07 September 2013 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  658
Joined  2006-09-30
Dartanbeck - 07 September 2013 12:46 PM
Sockratease - 06 September 2013 05:12 AM

It would be nice to add the render room settings to the “undo list” - can’t say how many times I changed something, rendered, and couldn’t get the old setting back exactly (indirect light settings, photon counts in caustics, etc) and even worse - if one changes to NPR, just for funzies, returning to photoreal will reset everything and all settings are lost.

OMG, No! Please! Okay, maybe in a separate “Render Room Undo”...
That would kill me!
Ahhhhh… never mind… I get it…

I’d agree to forego it if they’d just Release The Millennium Cow Already!!!

Signature 

MOO!

Posted: 07 September 2013 09:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

I know, right? Weren’t they beginning development on that back in the start of this millennium, as a welcoming moo figure?

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 07 September 2013 09:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7498
Joined  2009-07-13

I second the smoothing/collision modifier from studio, said that in other threads!

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 07 September 2013 11:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
wendy♥catz - 07 September 2013 09:48 PM

I second the smoothing/collision modifier from studio, said that in other threads!

Excellent! So if my count is correct, that’s at leas three hundred, fifty-seven million of us so far, right? That’s like… unanimous, isn’t it?

Signature 

Posted: 07 September 2013 11:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1059
Joined  2007-10-15
araneldon - 06 September 2013 03:52 AM

You can also use a batch file to start Carrara at a lower priority.

Sweet. Thanks.

I think you can also go into Task Manager, right click on the Carrara process, and change priority to whatever you want on the fly. I think that’s the same thing?? Though I like your way better…it’s cleaner. Just add a shortcut to the cmd thingy and you’ve got it….

Posted: 08 September 2013 02:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  548
Joined  2007-08-14

Yes, same thing.

Signature 

These are not the tutorials you’re looking for. Move along.
My old profile

Posted: 08 September 2013 02:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1127
Joined  2005-04-12
JoeMamma2000 - 07 September 2013 11:48 PM
araneldon - 06 September 2013 03:52 AM

You can also use a batch file to start Carrara at a lower priority.

Sweet. Thanks.

I think you can also go into Task Manager, right click on the Carrara process, and change priority to whatever you want on the fly. I think that’s the same thing?? Though I like your way better…it’s cleaner. Just add a shortcut to the cmd thingy and you’ve got it….

Thanks, Joe, useful tip! grin

Posted: 08 September 2013 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5248
Joined  2006-08-27
PhilW - 07 September 2013 07:36 AM

Speaking of small things that should be easy to implement, can we have the option to not include SSS in a render?  There are check boxes for most things - reflection, refraction, even shadows - but not SSS, and it would be really useful when doing test renders to be able to temporarily turn it off as it can add to render times.

Hear! Hear! I second that!

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 08 September 2013 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  2006-07-14
evilproducer - 08 September 2013 05:04 PM
PhilW - 07 September 2013 07:36 AM

Speaking of small things that should be easy to implement, can we have the option to not include SSS in a render?  There are check boxes for most things - reflection, refraction, even shadows - but not SSS, and it would be really useful when doing test renders to be able to temporarily turn it off as it can add to render times.

Hear! Hear! I second that!

That would very helpful and it is totally logical - so that probably means we will see it DAZ soon.

Posted: 08 September 2013 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  496
Joined  2003-10-09
Sockratease - 07 September 2013 02:19 PM

Every time you mention The Millennium Cow, it reminds me that I can never spell “Millennium” correctly the first time.

And it makes me hungry for Millennium Steaks.  Does that make me a bad person, or just a Millennium Carnivore?  vampire

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to type “Millennium” over and over; maybe I can be retrained after all…

Signature 

I’m starting over from starting over.  Be patient with me!  smile

Posted: 09 September 2013 01:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1127
Joined  2005-04-12
Subtropic Pixel - 08 September 2013 08:52 PM
Sockratease - 07 September 2013 02:19 PM

Every time you mention The Millennium Cow, it reminds me that I can never spell “Millennium” correctly the first time.

And it makes me hungry for Millennium Steaks.  Does that make me a bad person, or just a Millennium Carnivore?  vampire

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to type “Millennium” over and over; maybe I can be retrained after all…

Perhaps it should now be called the Genesis Cow (which is also easier to spell!)

Posted: 09 September 2013 02:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  191
Joined  2011-06-20

Quickly scanned the thread and didn’t see this; if it’s already been mentioned then forgive me.

>>  support for the 3d mouse from 3D Connexion

I recently discovered Carrara after years of playing with SketchUp and using a 3d mouse; using just the keyboard is a big adjustment.

- - - -

Also, a quick question that could lead to a wish:

Included support for more CPUs? I’m on a quad-core iMac and when I render Carrara shows 8 threads working; is each thread considered one of the 20 permitted CPUs?  I’m considering purchasing a MacPro with 12 cores once they are released and wonder whether that would exceed the limit?

- - - -

I agree on the need for a UI overhaul.  I’m on a 27” iMac and the menus and tools and all are tiny.

Posted: 09 September 2013 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2004-12-31

I would LOVE and very much need support for Quicktime added to the 64-bit build of Carrara. I admit am a little confused why the 64-bit build can’t utilize the 32-bit build binaries of QuickTime (which I know there is only one build of QuickTime). Is this a general limitation of all 64-bit applications?

P.S. I found this info on Adobe’s website, on how After Effects handles this issue between 64-bit/32-bit inter-communications…

“One possible cause of After Effects reporting that QuickTime is not installed is a blockage in the communication between After Effects and the Adobe QT32 Server, which is a component that After Effects uses to communicate with QuickTime. (This is necessary because there is not yet a 64-bit version of QuickTime.) After Effects uses TCP to communicate with QuickTime, but some aggressive firewall software and other security software can block the TCP communication.”

Posted: 09 September 2013 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  110
Joined  0

My Short List,

Improvements to the sky editor or clouds…....I want (editable)puffy cummulus, feathery cirrus, and dangerous cumulonimbus. grin

Make an object into a magnet…......give it both repel and attract modes.cheese

Make both hair and trees so the user can just paint them in…. (like in Vue). wink

Bring back the old style depth of field…..It had both a red X and a green X one for the focal point, the other for the blurred point. (maybe 2- blurred points for macro shots. cool smile

More to come…....I need to think about it.grrr

Fix Terrain Painting Glitch…....When painting a terrain negatively, it will lower the whole terrain if you stray a little into the black area…..can’t we fix it???????

4 of 17