3 of 17
Carrara 9 feature request
Posted: 06 September 2013 03:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8418
Joined  2009-07-13

mmm animate-able terrain height maps!!
(thx to Fractal Dimensia’s ocean idea the need has arisen)

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 06 September 2013 03:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  621
Joined  2007-08-14

You can also use a batch file to start Carrara at a lower priority. Step by step instructions for the technically challenged Windows peeples (more specifically Windows 7, it varies somewhat with other versions):
1) locate Carrara.exe (if you have a shortcut, right click it and select “Open file location”)
2) create a new text file in the same folder and name it “Carrara-low-priority.cmd”
3) put this one line in the text file:
@start /belownormal Carrara.exe
4) save the file

When you run this simple script it should launch Carrara with the priority set to “below normal”.

Also since this is the Carrara feature request thread, here be some of mine in no particular order:
- make stuff work with gamma correction, give user more control (dynamic hair, backgrounds, previews, etc)
- area lights (see DS for an example)
- filtering parameters for non-zero values (as seen in DS)
- allow selection of morphs to be converted when auto-fitting (most of them are useless FBMs and such)
- editing and deleting morphs and parameters (lots of things that can’t be done within Carrara)
- fix UI glitches like the jumpy lists
- why so many clicks for simple operations like finding or renaming a shader? why no Context Menu?
- an option to hide bones (they just get in the way most of the time)
- interactive post effects (see Luxrender for an example)

I could go on, but since this is probably pointless…

Signature 

These are not the tutorials you’re looking for. Move along.
My old profile

Posted: 06 September 2013 04:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  636
Joined  2003-10-09
araneldon - 06 September 2013 03:52 AM

- fix UI glitches like the jumpy lists
- why so many clicks for simple operations like finding or renaming a shader? why no Context Menu?

Yes, and I would also add:

- In Preferences/UI Fonts, you can’t see an example of the fonts, only a list of them on buttons, but displayed in the current font.  User should be able to see a preview of each font.

- After selecting an option in Preferences, allow the user to press a button to accept/engage that option, but don’t close the Preferences window; the user might not be done changing preferences yet!

Signature 

Windows 8.1 64 bit
64 GB DDR3, several TB of SSD storage
DS 4, 64 bit
Carrara Pro 8.5 64 bit
Blender 64 bit

Waiting patiently for Hexagon and Bryce to be upgraded to 64 bit!

Posted: 06 September 2013 05:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  648
Joined  2006-09-30

Well, apart from introducing and including The Millennium Cow (and changing the program’s name to Cowrarra in order to increase sales), I have a few ideas too…

It would be nice to add the render room settings to the “undo list” - can’t say how many times I changed something, rendered, and couldn’t get the old setting back exactly (indirect light settings, photon counts in caustics, etc) and even worse - if one changes to NPR, just for funzies, returning to photoreal will reset everything and all settings are lost.

A Cow Primitive wouldn’t hurt.

And the usual UI changes.  It would be nice to have the ability to change the browser window height arbitrarily - it has places it refuses to go and slides away if one tries to put it there.  Often those places are where I can still see both my work area and the browser - not a big deal, but annoying.

And I also want the font things fixed!  Yes, they now count as broken, along with my eyes.

More later…

Signature 

MOO!

Posted: 06 September 2013 07:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  650
Joined  2006-04-21
Gareth Davies - 03 September 2013 06:59 AM

It would be nice to see more modeling tools from Hexagon, and improved bones and weight painting system. smile

Now we are talking!!! Good stuff.

Signature 

Ringo Monfort

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/DigitalPainters3D

Posted: 06 September 2013 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  242
Joined  2007-07-13

A search function for the Content Library
Velvet shaders

Signature 

- Live Long and Prosper -
My DAZ Gallery: http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/1589

Posted: 06 September 2013 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1215
Joined  2005-04-12
EddyMI - 06 September 2013 10:55 AM

A search function for the Content Library
Velvet shaders

Just to let you know that you can get a good velvet effect using Fake Fresnel in DSG’s Shader Ops and some noise in the bump channel.

Posted: 06 September 2013 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  242
Joined  2007-07-13

Hi Phil,

I’ll give a try.

Thanks for that hint,
Eddy

Signature 

- Live Long and Prosper -
My DAZ Gallery: http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/1589

Posted: 06 September 2013 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  383
Joined  2008-08-29
3doutlaw - 03 September 2013 06:53 AM

It is an active modifier that prevents collision between 2 items in real time, as you change poses, move characters or objects, etc.  Here is a video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP6AQopQxQY

I don’t do youtube so apologies if I misunderstand, but Carrara has a collision detection system already. To toggle it, click on the third icon from the left. Note that the implementation is dog slow so it isn’t particularly usable. It helps to be very patient, click, drag and hold.

It would be a lot more useful if it didn’t drag down performance so badly.

Image Attachments
Screen_Shot_2013-09-06_at_5.46_.37_AM_.png
 Signature 

Swamp Living Never Felt So Good

Posted: 07 September 2013 06:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  648
Joined  2006-09-30

Here’s one that is just a minor annoyance, and should be a really easy thing to implement.  Not a big issue, but it does make DAZ look silly when you have a primitive in a scene to edit, and you select it then go to the vertex room and choose “convert to other modeler” but the default on the dialogue is to not convert it at all!  It wants to convert a primitive to a primitive.

Can’t it default to the other modeler?  Even if you try to convert a vertex model to a primitive for some reason, it defaults to the same modeler.

As I said - it’s just a piddling little thing.  But it just makes me wonder what the developers were thinking and yes - it makes them look silly.

There are a lot of little things which would not take much effort but would make Carrara a more highly polished product.

Signature 

MOO!

Posted: 07 September 2013 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1215
Joined  2005-04-12

Speaking of small things that should be easy to implement, can we have the option to not include SSS in a render?  There are check boxes for most things - reflection, refraction, even shadows - but not SSS, and it would be really useful when doing test renders to be able to temporarily turn it off as it can add to render times.

Posted: 07 September 2013 07:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8418
Joined  2009-07-13

I would kill for the ability to save weight painting maps on self boned stuff so you can detach skeleton to tweek

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 07 September 2013 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  383
Joined  2008-08-29
wendy♥catz - 07 September 2013 07:40 AM

I would kill for the ability to save weight painting maps on self boned stuff so you can detach skeleton to tweek

Agreed. And ability to save/load uv maps. None of this is major selling point material, but it shouldn’t be that much work.

Signature 

Swamp Living Never Felt So Good

Posted: 07 September 2013 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6469
Joined  2007-12-04
thoromyr - 06 September 2013 12:16 PM
3doutlaw - 03 September 2013 06:53 AM

It is an active modifier that prevents collision between 2 items in real time, as you change poses, move characters or objects, etc.  Here is a video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP6AQopQxQY

I don’t do youtube so apologies if I misunderstand, but Carrara has a collision detection system already. To toggle it, click on the third icon from the left. Note that the implementation is dog slow so it isn’t particularly usable. It helps to be very patient, click, drag and hold.

It would be a lot more useful if it didn’t drag down performance so badly.

The YouTube is a great intro from Daz Studio 4, when Genesis was still very, very new. Allen explains the use of the Smoothing tool in DS with it’s incredible collision selection, where we can actually select what the colliding object is - which is the figure that the clothing is conformed to, in every case I’ve imagined so far. I believe that the tools in DS have advanced beyond that video haven’t they?

Oh, right… Yes. I vote for that, too!

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 07 September 2013 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6469
Joined  2007-12-04

Also, since the Auto Rigging in DS and “Attach Skeleton” in Carrara are so incredibly identical, I think it would be really cool if we could have the ability in Carrara (pro?) to export (save) as Genesis (and 2) Support figures and such, making Carrara an amazing Genesis Support Content Creation Tool. Well, the ultimate, actually. I think that it already is, with the one exception that we have to export to obj, bring it into DS and rig, weight map, and export from there. The weight mapping and rig conversions seem identical to me - and the weight mapping too. So it may be very simple (yeah right… simple) okay… doable (?) to add these export/save functions.
I apologize in advance for my developmental ignorance! wink

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

3 of 17