2 of 17
Carrara 9 feature request
Posted: 03 September 2013 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1181
Joined  2005-04-12

My votes (in no particular order) would be:
- dynamic hair needs better integration, so that it animates properly in figures without using a proxy, it appears in depth maps and other multi-pass layers correctly, that it responds to depth of field properly, etc.
- dynamic clothing works much better than it does;
- improvements to surface replicators including a shader option that allows each instance to be a random separate solid color (chosen from a gradient for example), that if you nest replicators you have the option to have each instance randomised, an integrated distribution painter (like that for Vue’s ecosystems) would be cool too.
- full integration of gamma adjustment for all colors and textures, including hair, backgrounds, backdrops etc.  Full implementation of a linear workflow.
- blurred reflections limited to one bounce (you can set it to this, but it still does two anyway!!).

I’m sure there are others but I can’t think of any at the moment.

Posted: 03 September 2013 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  160
Joined  2006-07-14

Based on the information so kindly provided by Boojum the brown bunny in response to this thread:
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/28337/

I think it is imperative that a feature be added to C8.5 to choose a default loading method for textures for filtering – Sampling or Fast Mip Map.

Posted: 03 September 2013 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  130
Joined  2010-06-04

I like to refer to these things as wishlist—-because like wishes often many do not come true but conversely some do!!

1. Add a little love to the vertex modeler…..for me a few of the things not in hex added to Carrara’s vertex would be cool. And any tidbits of love to the spline modeler would be nice.
2. Improvements to the realistic skies—-
3. Everyone’s favorite—better dynamic cloth simulation.
4. improvements to the terrain editor…..(heck bryce’s is better)
5. improvements to bones…general rigging help.

Smiles——

Rich

Signature 

If you like or like to try animation -try the new place for animation for Carrara at http://bond3d.wix.com/carrarators#!forum/cl3g

Posted: 03 September 2013 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  651
Joined  2008-02-22
Jonstark - 03 September 2013 03:37 PM
boojumbunn - 03 September 2013 01:40 PM

5.  Please give me a path to externally saved texture maps when I’m inside of the texture editor.  I hate having to try and find where the external texture map is stored.
                                                Boojum the brown bunny

If I’m understanding what you’re seeking, there is a way to do this now.  If you are in the texture editor and have selected a texture mapped channel, if you just hover your mouse over the name of the file after a second a pop up description window appears that shows the pathway from C: to find that file.  Just thought I would mention, if it helps, as I use this feature all the time to figure out where the texture map came from.

Ah…but wouldn’t it be great if you could open that folder then directly (or even copy, so I could paste that path)?  Instead of trying to remember, c:\something\something\content\runtime\textures\creator\figure\texturemap1_b.jpg

Instead just click the open folder button, and the default is where that texture resides…that would be good!

Signature 

+800 or so old forum posts, just so you know I’m not a newb!  tongue laugh

Posted: 03 September 2013 08:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  254
Joined  2006-01-03
boojumbunn - 03 September 2013 01:40 PM

1.  Stop popping me to the top of the shader tree when I double click to edit a shader for a character.  (I scroll down to hip, double click to open the hip shader, right hand shader tree goes to top.  I scroll down to leg, double click to open the leg shader, shader tree goes to the top again.  why do I have to keep scrolling down???)

2.  Start using right click to initiate applicable commands.  If I right click on a scene, let me choose to load or import it.

3.  Let me make global changes to character shaders.  Let me change all the Fast Mip Maps filter to Sampling since Fast Mip Maps DON’T WORK properly.  Let me change all my specular or reflection percentages..  my highlight percentages..  etc.

4.  Let the full body morphs I create in Daz Studio be usable in Carrara.  right now if I create an FBM using GenX it is missing from Carrara.

5.  Please give me a path to externally saved texture maps when I’m inside of the texture editor.  I hate having to try and find where the external texture map is stored.

6.  Fix dynamic hair for animations so it doesn’t jitter.  right now, Dynamic Hair only works in static pictures and is worthless for animations.

7.  Get dynamic cloth for clothing working.

Boojum the brown bunny

Yes on all points, except as far as I can see (so far anyway) my genx morphs from Daz are importing nicely, and the V4 dials work on Gen characters I’ve imported into a Cararra scene file. But certain clothing items seem to have non functioning dials and otthers work fine. Likewise some clothing saved in scene with a character imports and conforms with managable pokethrough while others look abysmal and are unworkable.

Signature 

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

My Daz Gallery
My DeviantArt Gallery.

Posted: 04 September 2013 01:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-12

I like all of Boojum’s suggestions but the shader tree scrolling drives me potty so that gets a particular vote!

Posted: 04 September 2013 01:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2005-10-18

I would like a little attention applied to Carrara’s render engine.

In particular I would like to see intelligent rendering applied.

For example when rendering a scene (I have a 12 core system), and more often than not half of the available cores will complete their sections of the render leaving the other half furiously working on a particularly math intensive area such as hair for example.

This means that half of my processing power ends up sitting idle. 

I would like to see Carrara re-assign available cores to difficult rendering areas, much the same as Cinema4Ds’ render engine does.

This could GREATLY increase render times, particularly if it could also be applied to network rendering.

Cheers,

S.K.

Posted: 04 September 2013 01:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-12
swordkensia - 04 September 2013 01:52 AM

I would like a little attention applied to Carrara’s render engine.

In particular I would like to see intelligent rendering applied.

For example when rendering a scene (I have a 12 core system), and more often than not half of the available cores will complete their sections of the render leaving the other half furiously working on a particularly math intensive area such as hair for example.

This means that half of my processing power ends up sitting idle. 

I would like to see Carrara re-assign available cores to difficult rendering areas, much the same as Cinema4Ds’ render engine does.

This could GREATLY increase render times, particularly if it could also be applied to network rendering.

Cheers,

S.K.

Have you tried reducing the tile size?

Posted: 04 September 2013 01:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2005-10-18

Yes. wink

S.K.

Posted: 04 September 2013 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  563
Joined  2011-07-03

All of the suggestions are great ideas, and I support all of them.

A few more:
1) Ability to pause a rendering (anywhere in the process) and then proceed at any later time.
2) Ability to redefine Carrara’s task priority (e.g., lower app priority so that rendering doesn’t lock the computer up because it is sucking all of CPU resources). [In Windows, you can change this, but it is a pain to do. It should be an option in the app.]
3) Ability to limit the number of threads to a specified #. (Currently, it uses all of them)
4) Better directly usable and detailed objects for plants, clouds, and terrains. The current set are “okay” for a basic set, but not of much use for detailed rendering. E.g., you can use predefined plants for distant work, but they look atrocious up close. Same with clouds and terrain shaders. Carrara should come with better “out of the box” usable examples/instantiations based on these and other objects.
5) Improved importing of objects - 95% of the time I import something, there is a ton of rework involved. Adjusting import options don’t seem to help. Even importing Bryce objects is a real pain (and that seems odd!).
6) Improved management of objects I create and want to reuse across different scenes; e.g., ability to easily “drop” objects to places other than “My Objects”

Signature 

The most complex object in mathematics, the Mandelbrot Set ... is so complex as to be uncontrollable by mankind and describable as ‘chaos’. — Benoit Mandelbrot

Posted: 05 September 2013 09:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2005-06-16

This one’s minor, but it should be pretty easy and straightforward.

Standard grid sizes, if you want to start with an empty scene, are (1) 30 inches, (2) 30 feet, and (3) 3000 feet. And I’ve always kind of wondered about that jump in sizes. Yes, you can go into View | Grid and change the sizing of the grid to whatever you want, but if you’re going to provide a menu of grid sizes, you might as well put in more options or make it customizable.

Instead of three radio buttons, please consider putting a menu there showing the default choices above, plus any others that the user might have created.

To add items to the customized list, change the settings in the Grid dialog, enter a name for the preset (new text field), and save it (new save button).

To delete items from the customized list, a pop-up windoid could provide a selectable current list, a delete button, and a close button when you’re done.

Signature 

Posts on previous forum: 218. And yeah, I was bitchy back then too.

Posted: 05 September 2013 10:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  555
Joined  2003-10-09
FractalDimensia - 04 September 2013 09:58 AM

All of the suggestions are great ideas, and I support all of them.

A few more:
1) Ability to pause a rendering (anywhere in the process) and then proceed at any later time.
2) Ability to redefine Carrara’s task priority (e.g., lower app priority so that rendering doesn’t lock the computer up because it is sucking all of CPU resources). [In Windows, you can change this, but it is a pain to do. It should be an option in the app.]
3) Ability to limit the number of threads to a specified #. (Currently, it uses all of them)
4) Better directly usable and detailed objects for plants, clouds, and terrains. The current set are “okay” for a basic set, but not of much use for detailed rendering. E.g., you can use predefined plants for distant work, but they look atrocious up close. Same with clouds and terrain shaders. Carrara should come with better “out of the box” usable examples/instantiations based on these and other objects.
5) Improved importing of objects - 95% of the time I import something, there is a ton of rework involved. Adjusting import options don’t seem to help. Even importing Bryce objects is a real pain (and that seems odd!).
6) Improved management of objects I create and want to reuse across different scenes; e.g., ability to easily “drop” objects to places other than “My Objects”

If you are a Windows user, then there is a little tool called “Process Lasso” that will remove items 2 and 3 from your list.  It completely removes the need for you to mess around with your CPU scheduling by temporarily changing priorities so as to keep your computer responsive.  Changing your system’s affinity or priorities on your own could end up slowing down your system.  With Process Lasso, you’ll never even know it’s running even if some task has nearly 100% of every core in your system.

There is a trial, free, and paid version.  I did the trial, then I used the free version for a few months, and finally I bought something like a 5 seat license so I could run it on more than one Windows system.  It’s not expensive and you can just install it and let it run at boot.

Signature 

Windows 8.1 64 bit
64 GB DDR3, several TB of SSD storage
DS 4, 64 bit
Carrara Pro 8.5 64 bit
Blender 64 bit

Waiting patiently for Hexagon and Bryce to be upgraded to 64 bit!

Posted: 05 September 2013 10:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7667
Joined  2009-07-13

visible backgrounds

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 05 September 2013 10:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  160
Joined  2006-07-14
wendy♥catz - 05 September 2013 10:24 PM

visible backgrounds

Wouldn’t that be amazing and extremely helpful!

Posted: 06 September 2013 02:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-12
wendy♥catz - 05 September 2013 10:24 PM

visible backgrounds

Yes, +1 for that, and also the ability to rotate around the z-axis.

2 of 17