Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Who shuffles the threads?
Posted: 24 May 2012 03:48 AM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2006-10-13

There seems to be no rhyme nor reason for the ordering of threads any more. They’re not ordered either by time-and-date of most recent post, nor by time-and-date of first post, nor alphabetically by subject, nor by any other moderately easily discernable order.

I can only assume somebody (or something) is shuffling them at random.

Who (or what) is doing it?

Please can they stop doing it, and put the threads into some sensible order instead?

Signature 

—20” Intel iMac, OS X 10.6.8 - Poser Pro 9.0.2.21492 (+ PP2010, P8 & P7) - Gimp 2.6 - (rarely D|S 2 - Carrara 6 - Hexagon 2.5)

Posted: 24 May 2012 04:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2006-01-14

I just noticed this - and this thread is at the bottom of the last page.
Maybe it’s to dissuade people from ‘bumping’ threads LOL

Dear Daz, please allow/fix sorting the posts by most-recently posted to

Signature 

The Adventures of Trollum the Wise Sage - Click Me

Posted: 24 May 2012 04:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14430
Joined  2003-10-09

It’s not that way be choice, but fixing it will take time (it’s annoying but doesn’t actually break anything, so I suspect it will be lower priority than other issues).

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 24 May 2012 05:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  173
Joined  2010-03-14
Richard Haseltine - 24 May 2012 04:48 AM

It’s not that way be choice, but fixing it will take time (it’s annoying but doesn’t actually break anything, so I suspect it will be lower priority than other issues).

True and not breaking things is a Very good thing surprised

Signature 

Metadata has a Standard, so please use it!
Creation Instruction coming soon to a Document Center near you.
——————-
Warning: Sitting for more than 6 hours a day is not good for you.
So Stand up, change you desk to a Stand up Desk.
Walking is good for you, so get up and walk for at least a half hour a day.

Posted: 24 May 2012 06:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2006-01-14

It doesn’t break anything - and while there are only 3 or 4 forum pages in total for a sub-forum then it’s not a big deal - but it will become a big issue in the future.
So long as it’s on the ‘todo’ list smile

Signature 

The Adventures of Trollum the Wise Sage - Click Me

Posted: 24 May 2012 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2006-09-27

The main problem I see with it, is that I will most likely miss any updates to posts that I am interested in since updated posts won’t be bumped up.

Posted: 24 May 2012 08:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16092
Joined  2003-10-09

View new posts works

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 24 May 2012 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2006-10-13
chohole - 24 May 2012 08:40 AM

View new posts works

...if by “works” you mean it presents you with a list of posts in some sort of most-recently-posted order.

Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to do anything useful like limiting its results to the part of the forum you’re presently viewing, or collapsing results by thread, so chances are you’re in for a whole lot of paging through stuff you’re not interested in which ever way you go.

If the posting rate stays anywhere near its current level, I figure this thread ordering issue will be a major one inside a day, and a critical one inside three days.

Signature 

—20” Intel iMac, OS X 10.6.8 - Poser Pro 9.0.2.21492 (+ PP2010, P8 & P7) - Gimp 2.6 - (rarely D|S 2 - Carrara 6 - Hexagon 2.5)

Posted: 24 May 2012 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  173
Joined  2010-03-14
LazyLeopard - 24 May 2012 10:18 AM
chohole - 24 May 2012 08:40 AM

View new posts works

...if by “works” you mean it presents you with a list of posts in some sort of most-recently-posted order.

Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to do anything useful like limiting its results to the part of the forum you’re presently viewing, or collapsing results by thread, so chances are you’re in for a whole lot of paging through stuff you’re not interested in which ever way you go.

If the posting rate stays anywhere near its current level, I figure this thread ordering issue will be a major one inside a day, and a critical one inside three days.

Try Advanced Search you can look at only one forum or for a subject.

Signature 

Metadata has a Standard, so please use it!
Creation Instruction coming soon to a Document Center near you.
——————-
Warning: Sitting for more than 6 hours a day is not good for you.
So Stand up, change you desk to a Stand up Desk.
Walking is good for you, so get up and walk for at least a half hour a day.

Posted: 24 May 2012 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2428
Joined  2003-12-06

I wonder if this is something that broke when the forum software was set up, or is it the way the programmer intended it to work? Either way, I can’t say I’m very impressed. I’m struggling a bit, but I’m gradually figuring out how to read the forums as easily as I did the old one. There’s just so many differences, and so many very handy features that just aren’t there in the new setup. <sigh>

Signature 

Gone to Vegas to play poker. Back when I run out of clothes.—Your Muse.

Posted: 24 May 2012 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1040
Joined  2003-10-09

What I don’t understand is why the forums had to change at all. It seems like a, well, we’re changing the store, might as well change the forums while we’re at it since we think we should do it at some point in the future anyway.

Posted: 24 May 2012 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  731
Joined  2003-10-09

but fixing it will take time (it’s annoying but doesn’t actually break anything, so I suspect it will be lower priority than other issues).

I actually think it should be the top forum-related priority; at the moment it’s harder than hell to simply browse the forum looking for new posts that might be of interest. I don’t think I’ve ever been on another forum that doesn’t move active threads to the top of the first page…how difficult can this be to implement?

Signature 

“It answers all the questions, finally, but not really, but kind of”
- Bob Denver

my deviantArt page: http://snowsultan.deviantart.com

Smacky icon by Xamag

Posted: 24 May 2012 10:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1198
Joined  2007-11-30

Ohhh, and I thought you got a new job at DAZ3D.Com as their local disc jockey;  DJ Haseltine  tongue laugh

Posted: 25 May 2012 07:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2006-10-13
Haslor - 24 May 2012 10:38 AM

Try Advanced Search you can look at only one forum or for a subject.

Fine if you want to look for something specific, but not a lot of use for keeping up with whatever things are on-going…

At present the practical options are:

1) Use “Newest posts” and accept that you’re going to see stuff from everywhere including all the sections you’re not interested in, and that you’ll only catch maybe the most recent hour or two of stuff even so…

2) Go to the last page to see what’s new, and miss updates that happen to older threads…

3) Plough through the whole lot looking for stuff that’s new. The practicality of this approach will drop off dramatically as the number of threads increases. Two days in and we’re already five pages down. That’s getting to the sensible limit for scanning everything. By this time next week it’ll be totally impractical. The poor folk who’ve got tthe job of keeping an eye on things will spend their whole time scrolling through pages and pages of lists of threads…

Signature 

Posted: 25 May 2012 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2302
Joined  2010-12-18

I agree that fixing the order of posts is top priority for the forums. I’ve deployed a few forums myself and usually the sort order is simply a setting that you can change. Daz’s response makes me think this forum software is lacking functionality you can get with free or open source solutions :(

Signature 

My deviantArt Pinup Gallery

Posted: 26 May 2012 02:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2005-10-11

Yes, feeling a bit dazed (no pun).

I started a thread at the Commons to give everyone a chance
to offer constructive suggestions…..but can’t find it, and my post was added to another similar thread
(with no note to explain), which I also do not have a clue where it is…..very disorienting and disconcerting.

They do the same d&%* thing at Home Depot & the super-markets,  re-arranging all the merchandise so you have to
hunt for everything all over again! 

Very disruptive! raspberry

Taking a sabbatical till the dust clears.

Cheers

(edit: found an email that a moderator had merged my thread with another. Would have been good if DAZ
simply created a sticky asking for constructive suggestions to keep it all together wink

Signature 

My YouTube channel 
www.blenderportal.com

1 of 3