Joined  2009-03-31

.. and how do you use it?

Any instructions anywhere?

Posted: 25 June 2012 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8313
Joined  2009-05-14

This might help http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/lighting/videos/lighting_editor/start

Basically it is just like a point light but you can adjust falloff and spread without adjusting the light intensity, where as the old Point light’s spread of light is dictated by the light intensity.

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Facebook

Posted: 25 June 2012 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15665
Joined  2003-10-09

A realistic light’s intensity falls off as the square of the distance (if the distance from the light doubles, the intensity falls to a quarter, triples and it falls to a ninth). The linear light fades as the distance (so at double the distance the intensity falls to a half, at triple it falls to a third). And as noted you can actually set the distances at which the fade starts and completes. That makes linear lights totally unrealistic, but much better at lighting a scene - using the option to set the end distance also avoids calculating shadows when they will have no visible effect, which greatly speeds rendering in scenes with a lot of transparent and trans-mapped surfaces.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 25 June 2012 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2009-03-31

Thank you all for your help.

Unfortunately, 2 minutes of any tutorial video and my eyes start to cross! He is undoubtedly a very clever fellow but could he please slow down a bit (actually, no, a lot!) and wouldn’t it be lovely if I could read what he’s pointing at!

I really do need this in writing so that I can study it at my own leisure ... and speed.

And whilst I’m having a moan, why can’t I see what has gone before when I am writing my reply? No, scrub that. I’ve just seen what THREAD REVIEW is all about.

Posted: 25 June 2012 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1308
Joined  2006-03-14

With the exception of the image map support (aka gel lighting) Linear Point Lights work just like Uber Point Lights.  I wrote a tutorial on Uber Point Lights that you can find on the old forums here -> http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=160239

Signature 

My Tutorials and Freebies Index

Posted: 25 June 2012 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8313
Joined  2009-05-14
fruitwort - 25 June 2012 01:26 PM

I really do need this in writing so that I can study it at my own leisure ... and speed.

Yes that is my fault as I haven’t completed the Text transcript yet. I will post here when it is done and i WILL try to get it finsihed as quick as I can. I have had a lot of life issues I have had to deal with over the last 4 months hence why this hasn’t been done before now.

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Facebook