Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
I am joining the Forum
Posted: 26 June 2012 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16351
Joined  2003-10-09

Aye, I would be lost withour the icremenatal saves as I do have a habit of pushing my poor little machine to it’s limits. And one edit too far will crash Bryce. But at least with the saves I rarely have to go back too far .

I also love the way Bryce does them automatiaccly, once you have put a number on your first save.  So as long as your forst instance of a scen is saved as Scene 01, then Save As witll save the next one as 02, and so forth.

Which reminds me I have a few bryce crashes need clearing out of my bryce render folder.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        October Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 28 June 2012 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  142
Joined  2008-03-28
Rashad Carter - 26 June 2012 09:43 AM

These images are fantastic, Kine Magik!

There are differing schools of thought on boolean modeling as you already well know. The benefits of boolean modeling are obvious, but the drawbacks are less widely understood.

It has been my experience that boolean models are unstable, and the more complex the more unstable. As you mentioned, primitives dont use real geometry, at least not at first. When boolean operations occur however, conversion begins to take place. In scenes with lots of nested boolean operations the more nesting the greater likelihood the file will go corrupt.

My suggestion for those who love boolean modeling is to avoid nested operations that are unnecessary. It is better to use a few helper meshes, like the “Additional Primitives” included with Bryce 7 Pro. Clearly these are not truly primitives, but no matter because they are practical and will avoid nested operations to create shapes people often need but would otherwise have to build themselves. I tend to think of boolean operations are precious, only but so many will be allowed so I use them only when I need them.

Lastly, polygon count is a serious consideration even when working with primitives. Even the standard cube requires a decent amount of memory.

Another drawback of nested booleans is the Materials information trapped within those nests. There are often loose ends with materials that creep up on us later. if you boolean a positive and a negative item and select the transfer material option, then use that resulting object to build yet further more complex elements, at some point the software can get confused on the status of all those hidden cut up primitives with no real geometry in the first place.

On LAA, your system spec sound as if they should benefit greatly from Large Address Awareness. You will get roughly 3.4gb out of Bryce now.

Yes, Bryce 7 zip compresses files when they are saved. This is wise because otherwise a scene that used 3.2gb of ram would also require 3.2gb on disc, eating up memory on users systems. Saving is slower as you observed, but in the end your hard drive will thank you.

Hello Rashad

Thank you for your warm welcome.

I have had a look at some of your work (yes actually done some research) It is absolutely stunning! I like it very much and will have a look at some more later.

I have NOT had problems with Constructive Solid Geometry based on Boolean Set Operations. I have found them stable more so than many other features of Bryce.

Perhaps one reason is that i do what you have advised: “My suggestion for those who love boolean modeling is to avoid nested operations that are unnecessary.” That IS good advice!

The other thing is correct assignment of the solids. Say you want to build a cutter to engrave another object or to shape another object. First all the parts of the cutter must be set to positive. Then they are grouped. Then the group becomes a new object which must be set to negative. Then the object to be cut must have all of its parts set to positive. Then it must be grouped. Then the group must be set to positive. Then the 2 parts must correctly aligned and scaled . Then they are grouped and voila you have a nice transformation and it is stable. If you need two cutters to work together they must be made into one.

Perhaps when i have some time i will dream up some super complex “booleans” and try them out and demonstrate how it is done. It is similar to reducing a complex equation into the simplest terms. Bryce can’t do this so the artist has to figure it out.

Any way i have started a new thread on Bryce Origami

I want to be done with this because i want to look at your lovely work

Kind regards

Peter

Posted: 28 June 2012 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-03-28
IanzThingz - 26 June 2012 10:14 AM
Kine_magiK - 26 June 2012 08:41 AM
IanzThingz - 26 June 2012 06:22 AM

Welcome from me too, you have some lovely renders, just starting out with Bryce here and eager to learn grin

Hello IanzThingz,

I appreciate your welcome and as you are “starting out” with Bryce i can assure you you will be in for quite a ride.

I have done a few “conventional” Brycean things too, which are unfinished projects of mine requiring much more work.

You and other members might like them:

Kind regards

Peter

Much more work? I beg to differ, especially the middle one, the sense of vastness is awesome, and love the trees in the bottom one smile

Well IanzThingz, i meant that i wanted to add vegetation and buildings and perhaps also people which suggest human habitation. That will take a lot of time. Some of the renders already take many hours.

kind regards

Peter

Posted: 29 June 2012 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  164
Joined  2004-06-24

@ Kine_magiK.
Peter, I went to your site for a look and with the others am very impressed. However in that very extensive list of tutorials their appears to be only 1 completed and the site has not been updated since 1999. Going through that list I found several I would love to have a go at.

Cheers
GG

Signature 

WHO said Kiwis can’t fly ?????

Posted: 30 June 2012 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-03-28
kiwi_gg - 29 June 2012 02:42 PM

@ Kine_magiK.
Peter, I went to your site for a look and with the others am very impressed. However in that very extensive list of tutorials their appears to be only 1 completed and the site has not been updated since 1999. Going through that list I found several I would love to have a go at.

Cheers
GG

Hello kiwi_gg.

Yes that is correct.

It is an old [dead] website.

I will endeavor to present some nice tutorials on this Forum when i have the time.

Alternatively i could start my own new Bryce website.

Horo has already given me some advice and i am sure that he and David Brinnen would help me when i have completed something useful to share with others.

Kind regards

Peter

Posted: 30 June 2012 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  772
Joined  2006-05-26

Kine, You are very kind to look at my stuff. I am a bit well…obsessive in the way i do things. I am always trying to push Bryce into territory it was not really designed to handle. I am curious how you are finding images, with the galleries here at Daz3d down it might be hard to get much imagery.

Here are a few links to a few galleries of some people you know here in these forums. These are Bryce5.com galleries, I and Horo have limited Renderosity galleries as well. I really like the Bryce 5.com galleries because it is interesting to see how artists grow over the years, and how the software’s growth can spur user growth.

http://www.bryce5.com/search.php?search_user=rashadcarter1
http://www.bryce5.com/search.php?search_user=Horo
http://www.bryce5.com/search.php?search_user=davidbrinnen
http://www.bryce5.com/search.php?search_user=slepalex
http://www.bryce5.com/search.php?search_user=foleypro

Thanks again for the support, Peter!!!!!

Signature 

Please view my Daz3d User Gallery
http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/465/

Posted: 30 June 2012 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3652
Joined  2004-10-01

In fact, bryce5.com is the most friendly and helpful forum/gallery I have ever seen. Renderosity is nice, if you get comments, they are good for the ego but otherwise not very helpful. I prefer to get constructive critics, they are what help to improve - or look at things at an angle that hasen’t occured to you yet.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 30 June 2012 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16351
Joined  2003-10-09

At the moment, with the Daz galleries MIA we are encouraging people to start render “portfolios” in the Art Studio, as they have also discontinued the WIP forums, because they felt they were not getting enough use.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        October Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 01 July 2012 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-03-28
Rashad Carter - 30 June 2012 12:39 PM

Kine, You are very kind to look at my stuff. I am a bit well…obsessive in the way i do things. I am always trying to push Bryce into territory it was not really designed to handle. I am curious how you are finding images, with the galleries here at Daz3d down it might be hard to get much imagery.

Here are a few links to a few galleries of some people you know here in these forums. These are Bryce5.com galleries, I and Horo have limited Renderosity galleries as well. I really like the Bryce 5.com galleries because it is interesting to see how artists grow over the years, and how the software’s growth can spur user growth.

http://www.bryce5.com/search.php?search_user=rashadcarter1
http://www.bryce5.com/search.php?search_user=Horo
http://www.bryce5.com/search.php?search_user=davidbrinnen
http://www.bryce5.com/search.php?search_user=slepalex
http://www.bryce5.com/search.php?search_user=foleypro

Thanks again for the support, Peter!!!!!

Thanks for the links.

I will get myself organized after i recover from being stunned by your work.

Beautiful and intelligent excursions into the less obvious.

It is rather strange that i somehow knew you were a great artist without being able to get to many of your images.

Now you have given me the links i asked for.

I am absolutely stunned!

You don’t need any support from me!!!!

And again i am not really surprised because Bryce is a great application - but it depends utterly on the genius of the artist.

Kind regards

Peter

Posted: 01 July 2012 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  772
Joined  2006-05-26

Peter,
You are an exceedingly kind person. You live up to your username “Kine” as in kind. You really have made my day, thanks so much!!!! If at any point you would like descriptions on how anything was done please let me know.

Signature 

Please view my Daz3d User Gallery
http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/465/

Posted: 03 July 2012 07:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-03-28
Rashad Carter - 01 July 2012 10:14 AM

Peter,
You are an exceedingly kind person. You live up to your username “Kine” as in kind. You really have made my day, thanks so much!!!! If at any point you would like descriptions on how anything was done please let me know.

Hello Rashad,

Thanks, you are welcome. When you become an old man like me, then you may realize that seeing the positive in what others do [or have done] rather than critizising because of ones own ego needs, is much more enjoyable. Your work has self evident merit which does not require my praise. In fact i am reluctant to give praise because there are so many good Bryce artists who could feel left out. But i do understand that admiration from ones peers when it is deserved is a wonderful reward. So i am not saying it does not matter. But in my own work i need NO admiration from anyone. Bryce is a personal challange for me. Most of the work i did has been destroyed because i only did it to find out “what if”. Everything i ever did in Bryce was an experiment!

As for creating “great art” - in Bryce i have difficulty getting my head around that concept. I wish to build a model railroad in my home which is my primary project now. I “used to be” a world famous pyrolumikinetic artist [ you can google it up]. I am no longer interested in that.

I have just got a dialog on my other computer: “Bryce 7.1 Out of memory!”. Task Manager is open and confirms 371,800 K of memory. [well below 1.5 GB] That is the final straw. Bryce 7 Instancing does not work! But to report all my finding will take a long time. I don’t see any point because the people developing and fixing Bryce won’t be able to fix it. I know, i have worked as a programmer. I could not even fix my own code! I can’t even imagine how one could understand and fix the code of the geniuses who wrote the original Bryce!

No, i am not going to waste my time. I am going to have another look at YOUR work at the end of the links you gave me. I need a bit of enjoyment before i go to bed.

I also got to join that Forum you mentioned.

Kind regards

Peter

2 of 2