Digital Art Zone

 
     
Exploding genesis
Posted: 24 June 2012 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]
New Member
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2004-12-12

Hi All,

I have had this happen to me two times now. 

Without provocation, when I open up an existing daz (now .duf)  file my shaped genesis character has exploded and looks like the attached image.  The last time I used the file my character was perfectly fine but then after saving and then reopening he turns into a useless mess.  There seems to be nothing I can do to fix the file and so I have to start from scratch and rebuild the character. 

Has anyone else had this?  As I said, this has happened twice in the last week with two completely separate files but both using the genesis character.  Each time I have had to start afresh and have wasted many hours.

Phil

Image Attachments
exploded_genesis.jpg
Profile
 
 
Posted: 24 June 2012 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Member
Rank
Total Posts:  232
Joined  2003-10-09

Something similar had happened to me when i attempted to parent genesis to a car, so I could move the car and the figure at the same time. I came to the conclusion that certain things can’t be parented together.

Profile
 
 
Posted: 25 June 2012 12:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3420
Joined  2007-06-22
geraldpruett - 24 June 2012 04:16 PM

Something similar had happened to me when i attempted to parent genesis to a car, so I could move the car and the figure at the same time. I came to the conclusion that certain things can’t be parented together.

Yes I’ve had that happen parenting the things to a null works though.

Profile
 
 
Posted: 25 June 2012 05:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Active Member
Avatar
RankRank
Total Posts:  811
Joined  2007-01-08

Open the log file, and search for “auto_adapted” . Log file can be found at Help->Troubleshooting->View Log File…
I have problems with third party figures not reloading anymore after being saved in .daz first and then in duf. It can’t reopen the duf file because it looks for content in /data/auto_adapted/ which contains nothing, since the figures are legacy poser. I’m not sure if the bug here is the same but it’s worth a shot to narrow it down.
If you don’t have that error, scroll to the bottom of the log file and post here anything that looks like an error.

Profile
 
 
Posted: 27 June 2012 10:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Member
Rank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2011-09-07
philiplemon - 24 June 2012 03:40 PM

Hi All,

I have had this happen to me two times now. 

Without provocation, when I open up an existing daz (now .duf)  file my shaped genesis character has exploded and looks like the attached image.  The last time I used the file my character was perfectly fine but then after saving and then reopening he turns into a useless mess.  There seems to be nothing I can do to fix the file and so I have to start from scratch and rebuild the character. 

Has anyone else had this?  As I said, this has happened twice in the last week with two completely separate files but both using the genesis character.  Each time I have had to start afresh and have wasted many hours.

Phil

Hey Guys, I figured out at least one culprit and a work-around for this issue, as I was experiencing it as well. And like you, I lost a file that I assumed was trashed, and I couldn’t do anything with it.
After recreating the issue again, but not consistently, I figured it must be something in the scene. Because other scenes were NOT having the issue. So I started looking for the source element in that particular scene. I made a copy of the scene (which had multiple characters in it), and started eliminating various pieces. Turns out ‘Moonsong Hair’ was the culprit in my scene. Even though it was unrecognizable in the ‘exploded view, I selected and deleted it from the ‘scene list’. I was then able to ‘Save’ and reopen the file, and it looked normal again except for the now missing hair. So I just loaded different hair.
Assuming DAZ works out the issue on the next update of 4.5, the scene should be good as new.
FTR, I did uninstall and reinstall ‘Moonsong Hair’, but the problem still persists. And this hair worked fine before the 4.5 upgrade.
The issue does seem related to the new 4.5 RC. It did not happen on any of my files before this upgrade, which I installed on advice to get ‘3D Bridge to Photoshop’ to work properly. I have at least one more element that has also caused the same problem, just deleted it too, and that scene now looks normal again too.

 

Profile