Digital Art Zone

1 of 53
DAZ 3D Is Pleased to Announce the Official Release of Carrara 8.5 **Update - 50% off for owners of Carrara extended**
Posted: 26 August 2013 12:16 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1233
Joined  2010-09-29

After a lot of hard work, long nights, and even longer days by our development team we are happy to announce that Carrara 8.5 is available for purchase in the DAZ 3D store.  We would like to thank all of our loyal Carrara customers for their patience and support with this project.

Carrara 8.5 Pro is priced at $285.00 for a limited time.  Carrara 8.5 Standard is priced at $149.95.

Current owners of Carrara will receive a 50% discount on either product for a limited time.  Platinum Club members get an additional 40% off, which means it’s never been a better time to join the Platinum Club.

Carrara 8.5 Pro
Carrara 8.5 Standard

Included in Carrara 8.5 Pro are the Michael 5 and Victoria 5 Pro Bundles and Carrara Shaders - over $250 worth of Genesis content.
Carrara 8.5 standard ships with the Michael 5 and Victoria 5 Starter Bundles and Carrara Shaders - over $140 worth of Genesis content.

Here’s a quick look at some of the new features:

Native DSON Importer means seamless integration of:
  TriAxTM Weight Mapped figures (Genesis, G2F, G2M)
  General Weight Mapped figures
  Legacy Parametric Figures (4th Generation and earlier)
  DSON presets
    Scenes
    Scene Subsets
    Wearable(s) Preset
    Character Preset
    Properties Preset
    Shaping Preset
    Pose Preset
    Hierarchical Material(s) Preset
    Material(s) Preset
    Shader Preset (preset must be for a Carrara shader)
    Camera(s) Preset
    Light(s) Preset
    Support for multiple UV sets (through Hierarchical Material(s) Presets and Material(s) Presets)
Native AutoFit functionality means:
  Conversion of legacy parametric clothing to TriAxTM weigh mapped figures
  Automatic Morph Projection quickly gives you the fit you need for your figure’s shape.
  Automatic Weight Map Projection allows AutoFit clothing to bend and pose smoothly with the figure.
  Morphs built into clothing are carried through the AutoFit process.
Improved Sequencer, Keyframing and Animation Tools
  New keyboard shortcuts to:
    Play/Stop animation
    Advance the frame
    Preview a frame
  Key Frame Filters
    Sample – Creates a key at every frame of the animation.
    Smooth – Smooth out wild keys to get an even looking animation
    Reduce – Programatically determine which keys are unecessary and eliminate them.
  Graph Editor Box allows for fine tuning of animations
    Easily adjust timing
    Simple yet powerful manipulation of amplitude
    Scale, and translate key frames along the Graph Editor.
    Marquee selection of key frames for Graph Editor.
Smart Content and CMS Integration
  Carrara can now access the CMS database.
  New smart content pane allows users to browse smart content by:
    File
    Category
    Product
  File view provides selection based filtering so that the user only sees items compatible with the current instance tray selection.
  Double click and drag and drop loading are both supported in Smart Content Tab.
Parameters Actions
  Zero, Memorize and Restore:
    Figure
    Figure Shape
    Figure Pose
    Selection
    Selection Shape
    Selection Pose
    Selection Tree
    Selection Tree Pose
    Selection Tree Shape
  Provides users with powerful tools to reset a pose, shape or both.
  Memorize and Restore allow user to take a snap shot of the model’s current pose and/or shape and restore all or part of it.
Improved Fit to Functionality
  Automatic projection and following of morphs for TriAx Figures
  No more relying on built in clothing morphs to fit clothing over a figure.  Carrara automatically projects any morphs for a TriAx figure onto items conformed to the figure.
Improved Viewport Avatars
  Spotlight, Sunlight, Moonlight, Tube Lights and Shape lights have all received a makeover and can easily be identified in the viewport.

Image Attachments
carrara8_5.jpg

Posted: 26 August 2013 12:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  241
Joined  2003-10-09

So, just to be absolutely clear, because pricing around here tends to be tortuously complex ...

... for all existing 8.0 owners 8.5 is a PAID UPGRADE.

Correct?

Posted: 26 August 2013 12:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-12-17

So let me get this straight, if I were to join the Platinum club for a 3 month period I would get the 8.5 upgrade cheaper then if I were to simply upgrade without?

Also, has anyone had experience with the bug fixes in 8.5? I am not really interested in any of the new features (except the modelling ones), so I would like to know if the stability fixes are enough to justify upgrading.

Regardless, thats one hefty upgrade fee o_o.

Posted: 26 August 2013 12:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  60
Joined  2010-03-30

Are the ONLY differences between the Carrara Standard & Pro versions the included M5 and V5 bundles, or is there core functionality differences between the two as well?

The original post only mentions the difference of the included M5/V5 bundles and the Carrara product page currently gives a 404 error: http://www.daz3d.com/carrara-8-pro/

Posted: 26 August 2013 12:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09
strobl - 26 August 2013 12:42 AM

Indeed. Over $85 for the Pro version in fact!  I don’t want to get hung up on version numbers but that price might be justified by a 9.0 release ... but a .5 upgrade?

I’m not convinced.

Posted: 26 August 2013 12:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-09-29

8.5 is a paid upgrade, even for 8.0 owners.  If you join the Platinum Club you get an additional 40% off whatever version you purchase (pro or standard).  If I’ve done my math correctly this discount is larger than the initial 3 months you would pay to join the Platinum Club.  So if you are planning on upgrading it is definitely worth joining the Platinum Club first.

Posted: 26 August 2013 12:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-09-29
acanthis - 26 August 2013 12:44 AM
strobl - 26 August 2013 12:42 AM

Indeed. Over $85 for the Pro version in fact!  I don’t want to get hung up on version numbers but that price might be justified by a 9.0 release ... but a .5 upgrade?

I’m not convinced.

If you look at the feature list, and the included content the price is very reasonable.

Posted: 26 August 2013 12:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09
DAZ_jared - 26 August 2013 12:46 AM

8.5 is a paid upgrade, even for 8.0 owners.  If you join the Platinum Club you get an additional 40% off whatever version you purchase (pro or standard).  If I’ve done my math correctly this discount is larger than the initial 3 months you would pay to join the Platinum Club.  So if you are planning on upgrading it is definitely worth joining the Platinum Club first.

Yes, but it’s STILL $85 ... and in a time of global recession that is, as a previous poster has said, is one hefty upgrade fee!!!

Posted: 26 August 2013 12:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8405
Joined  2009-07-13

how do you get it for $85? it cost me $171 and I own c8.1pro and am in Platinum club?
I bought it but now wishing I had waited a day

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 26 August 2013 12:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2003-10-09
wendy♥catz - 26 August 2013 12:51 AM

how do you get it for $85? it cost me $171 and I own c8.1pro and am in Platinum club?
I bought it but now wishing I had waited a day

Same here.
Not getting until this is cleared up.
Also, if this is the same as the last build then you haven’t really fixed any of the bugs have you?

Posted: 26 August 2013 12:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  655
Joined  2005-09-12
acanthis - 26 August 2013 12:48 AM
DAZ_jared - 26 August 2013 12:46 AM

Yes, but it’s STILL $85 ... and in a time of global recession that is, as a previous poster has said, is one hefty upgrade fee!!!

And I’m not seeing $85; I’m seeing $171. I have 8.0 Pro and am a PC member, and I’m trying to work out the math here - and not succeeding.

Signature 

The only constant is change—and it’s a variable.

Posted: 26 August 2013 12:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  60
Joined  2010-03-30

The $85.50 discounted price shows in the cart now

Posted: 26 August 2013 01:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8405
Joined  2009-07-13

since I got the upgrade from C7pro cheap on sale and got C7pro off a magazine not really upset by price but can understand those who paid in full being.
but
if I could have saved an extra $85 I WOULD buy the extra Genesis 2 stuff I have been holding off on until this upgrade came out.

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 26 August 2013 01:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2007-06-22

$171 for me too, equals to $285 special price - 40% Platinum Club discount. I’m a previous Carrara 8 Pro owner so I should expect another 50% discount for upgrading, right?

Posted: 26 August 2013 01:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4928
Joined  2004-07-01
KJA79A - 26 August 2013 12:58 AM

The $85.50 discounted price shows in the cart now

cart - $80.50 for me

Posted: 26 August 2013 01:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1279
Joined  2005-02-25

There is no way it said $85 for previous owner of C8 Pro plus I’m a vendor who gets PC for free it’s still saying $171. No thanks but $85 I would

Signature 

The Mind on the other side!
http://www.daz3d.com/shop/midnight_stories/

1 of 53