Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  2003-10-09
Vata Raven - 23 August 2013 06:23 PM

Well

I deleted everything except Genesis before it stopped shutting itself down

What does that mean?

Hmm.  I’m not sure exactly.  It does mean that either one of the things you deleted, or the volume of things you had, was in some way triggering the crash.  (I know, that’s vague and unhelpful.)  If in the past you have been able to render similarly-sized scenes without a problem, that makes it less likely to be running out of memory and more likely to be something else (although it is a guess that could be off, obviously you don’t know exactly how much memory is being used or was in the past.) 
  If you can narrow it down by deleting things one at a time to a single item that triggers the crash, then can try your original scene with ONLY that single item deleted and it still works so you know it was actually that item and not just a line that was crossed by that item, you might be able to find a way to work around it. (try a different similar item, see if a different material on the item works, etc.)  However if you have a lot of items in your scene, deleting/saving/exiting/reloading/rendering for every single one might be very slow and painful.  It’s even worse when you think you found it, only to find the next time you try it works just fine and it wasn’t THAT object, and the crash just happened to not happen when you deleted it.  I’ve been there.  If you have a basic scene, or are just really really stubborn, you could try this.
  I wish I had a better answer.  Maybe somebody else will.

Posted: 23 August 2013 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  640
Joined  2009-08-28

I seriously

I deleted the items 1 at a time and rendered each time I deleted something

So it’s not like I deleted everyone at once

Posted: 23 August 2013 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

So the very last item you deleted, before which the render crashed, and after which the scene rendered ok:  what happens if you delete only that single item from the scene?  Does the render work now, or does it still crash?

Posted: 23 August 2013 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-08-28

No

I cna’t delete anything from the scene

1) there would be a lacking background. 2) I need the light 3) she’d be naked

All I had in the scene was Genesis was the Young Teen 5 textures, hair, clothes, background, and 1 light

no props, no nothing

So not like I can delete anything from the start

Posted: 23 August 2013 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

So the crash must be happening when either when the hair or the clothes are added to the scene.
  Are you willing to lower the resolution (make the image size smaller) of any of the textures?  You might be able to do so without even being able to see a difference, if there are no extreme closeups.  If the problem is too much memory being used, this MIGHT fix it.
  If you are willing to try that, you can either do so manually by selecting images used one at a time in the Surfaces pane (Diffuse, bump, etc.) for whatever surfaces you select and resizing them in an image editor (photoshop, GIMP, etc.)
  If you have Texture Atlas, you could also use that to consolidate and resize all at once, although of course there are downsides to that.  I can provide instructions if needed.
  Before you spend time resizing, it would be easier to do a quick test to see if eliminating the textures entirely actually fixes the problem or not.

Posted: 23 August 2013 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-08-28

I DID resize it

The original render size was 6000 x 9000

and I took it down to 2500 x 2500

Problem is…it stopped crashing when everything was gone BUT Genesis and the hair put on

If it because of Daz 32…then I’ll download 64

Because it was crashing no matter what I did

Posted: 23 August 2013 07:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  819
Joined  2004-04-05
Vata Raven - 23 August 2013 07:23 PM

I DID resize it

The original render size was 6000 x 9000

and I took it down to 2500 x 2500

Problem is…it stopped crashing when everything was gone BUT Genesis and the hair put on

If it because of Daz 32…then I’ll download 64

Because it was crashing no matter what I did

That’s a pretty big render for a 32 bit system. Try taking it down to half of that and see what happens.

You might also bring up Windows Task Manager and watch memory usage. If the 32bit version of DS gets up around 2GB of memory you’re probably going to see a crash.

Posted: 23 August 2013 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5000
Joined  2005-08-03

If you have a 64bit OS and more than 3Gb of ram, there’s really no reason not to use the 64Gb of a program. Just install outside of the default Program folders.

Signature 

Wearing duck crap doesn’t make you a duck - Floki
@Deviantart | @ShareCG
Tutorial: V4 Transmap Brows on Genesis (DS)
Free Script: Bulk convert V4/M4 mats for Genesis2 (DS/Poser)

Posted: 23 August 2013 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

I mean lowering the size of the textures used by objects in the scene, not the size of the render.  For example, in the toolbar, click on the Surface Selection Tool, then click on a surface of something in the scene. 
  For example, if I load V5 (picked at random since the basic Genesis doesn’t have a default texture) and click on her head, in the Surfaces pane that selects the surface 1_SkinFace .  If I then hover over the thumbnail in front of the Diffuse parameter, it shows me the full path and filename of the image used for the face, which is C:\bleahbleahbleah\V5BreeHeadM.jpg .  If I locate that file and open it, I see that it is 4096x4096.  If I make a copy, then resize the copy to 1024x1024 and assign the copy to that parameter, it will use less resources to process, but might look exactly the same because her head might be only 800 pixels tall in the render anyway, or whatever.
  And that single file is only one of many many files that Genesis uses that are unnecessarily large for my current render.  Then repeat for her hair, then repeat for her clothes, it all adds up, and MIGHT be putting me over the line and causing a problem.

Posted: 23 August 2013 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-08-28
Vaskania - 23 August 2013 07:39 PM

If you have a 64bit OS and more than 3Gb of ram, there’s really no reason not to use the 64Gb of a program. Just install outside of the default Program folders.

Seems like an issue. I only have the 32 because Daz hasn’t done anything to move Lip Sync over to the 64 edition

Posted: 23 August 2013 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-03
Vata Raven - 23 August 2013 07:51 PM
Vaskania - 23 August 2013 07:39 PM

Seems like an issue. I only have the 32 because Daz hasn’t done anything to move Lip Sync over to the 64 edition

You can have them installed simultaneously (to separate folders, obviously), but only 1 running at once. Use the 32 bit when you need lip sync and use the 64bit for everything else.

Signature 

@Deviantart | @ShareCG

Posted: 23 August 2013 07:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-08-28

Will the 64x one open when i click open a saved scene?

Posted: 23 August 2013 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-03

It’s a toss up. You can just open DS and then open/merge the scene, though.

Signature 

@Deviantart | @ShareCG

Posted: 23 August 2013 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-08-28

Alright

Thanks for all the help

Sorry Sean Riesch, you were a lot of help, seems the issue would’ve been easily answered if the 64 was on my computer

2 of 3