Digital Art Zone

2 of 37
Time for sharing, what I have no idea!
Posted: 25 June 2012 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  225
Joined  2009-01-12

Boy, am I glad you started your art thread!!

I am so greatly impressed Szark, your artwork is absolutely tremendous. I especial love the animal scenes and those birds are so damn realistic.  Those Poser renders cannot get anymore realistic, I thought that table looked like a bloody photograph!!
The old guy with the pipe, I remember him very well, indeed and have carried him around in my head ever since.  He was the guy who made me think my previous portrait stuff looked crap in comparison…..I did not know he belonged to you!!
Another thing that impresses me is the fact that you have explanations about how a piece came about.  I cannot remember what I made yesterday, let alone explain how I came to make it. LOL

You have a great deal of knowledge going on my friend, I am going to love visiting your thread, Szark…...Bravo!! cool smile

Posted: 25 June 2012 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7957
Joined  2009-05-14

Thanks, very uplifting words kylumi.

What you have to understand the reason why I say you have loads of talent is becasue of the artistic flair and eye you have. All this doesn’t come easy to me. The only thing that I find a little easier is composition for the most part. But my imagination is pretty poor compared some of you.

Remembering is fairly easy for most images as I made a number of tutorails about how I made them, this was for Dreamlight’s library of tutorails. Plus all my entries are there for me to see and check dates.smile

I am really proud of the Workingman, dude smoking the pipe. I think I spent a number of months on that making new displacement and bump maps out of blending a few together in PS. Picking the best bump and dsiplacement maps I have in my content library. That last image had Aged of V4’s displacemnt maps overliad on to the bump maps which drove the displacement.

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 25 June 2012 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-12
Szark - 25 June 2012 10:41 AM

Thanks, very uplifting words kylumi.

What you have to understand the reason why I say you have loads of talent is becasue of the artistic flair and eye you have. All this doesn’t come easy to me. The only thing that I find a little easier is composition for the most part. But my imagination is pretty poor compared some of you.

Remembering is fairly easy for most images as I made a number of tutorails about how I made them, this was for Dreamlight’s library of tutorails. Plus all my entries are there for me to see and check dates.smile

I am really proud of the Workingman, dude smoking the pipe. I think I spent a number of months on that making new displacement and bump maps out of blending a few together in PS. Picking the best bump and dsiplacement maps I have in my content library. That last image had Aged of V4’s displacemnt maps overliad on to the bump maps which drove the displacement.

Well it appears to me you have imagination in spades….........literally.
That guy being pulled out of the CARD, vaporizing humans, little dude crossing the bridge day/night, mixing past and present monochromatic and color and, .....my absolute fave ............NEGLECT, that image tells a story of abject misery for a four legged friends.
Plus, you use Daz, Poser, Bryce, Vue, photoshop and 3rd party render tools…......... damn! cool smile

Posted: 25 June 2012 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

LOL I hear you but it takes days if not weeks to come up with an idea and it is hit and miss at the best of times. I haven’t shown my failers where my muse went on holiday. smile

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Posted: 25 June 2012 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

Also I have dabbled in Carrara a little but not enough yet to get a handle on it.

These are the best I have got out of Carrara so far

The first one Jack Tomalin doesn’t like becase Mortis (the building doesn’t have proper external textures. I did it to learn about the Surface Replicator.

The second was again a test of more advanced Surface Replicating and light.

Image Attachments
MortisA_copy.jpg
AFineDay.jpg
 Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Posted: 25 June 2012 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

I posted this in another thread so I thought way not post it here too.

The final image of this is at the bottom of page one.

This image, at this size rendered in 18 hours on a 32 bit system with 3 GB of Ram, Dual Core

One Uber Spot set the Raytraced Shadows with a light gel (blinds)
Uber Enviroment set to Indirect Lighting with soft shadows Set at the Standard highest 4X preset. Normally when using IDL I would drop the Uber shading rate down to 1 or even down to .10.Doing that adds another 12 to 24 hours or so to the render.

Here are my UberEnviroment settings and Advanced render settings used for this image. Plus since I am using DOF (Depth of Field) I increased the Pixel Samples x and y to 16. The more blurring the higher these go, 20 being about the max.

Image Attachments
valBest.jpg
Uber.jpg
renderset.jpg
 Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Posted: 25 June 2012 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-12

Well you have mastered Cararra because those two images look bloody great!

And, your portrait looks stunning too…........the lighting is awesome.

I am loving reading your info/settings…............I never bother with any of that stuff, I suppose I just create the images that I find pleasing, then store them all away in a file never to be seen again!!!  LOL

Posted: 25 June 2012 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15992
Joined  2003-10-09
Szark - 25 June 2012 11:27 AM

LOL I hear you but it takes days if not weeks to come up with an idea and it is hit and miss at the best of times. I haven’t shown my failers where my muse went on holiday. smile

lol.  I have been very brave with my Rendo gallery, and left some of the Failures, just to remind myself what I have done .

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 25 June 2012 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

I like helping others as much as I can and since doing a few tuts for Dreamlight I have a tendency to remember a lot. I do this for the same reason as you (which I read on page 3 of Jad’s thread) I do it for me for my own feeling of well being, if it winsa prize then a bonus. I am one of those that thinks taking part is more important than winning or being better than others. This doesn’t mean I don’t enter comps to win, that would be silly. smile

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Posted: 25 June 2012 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14
chohole - 25 June 2012 12:18 PM
Szark - 25 June 2012 11:27 AM

lol.  I have been very brave with my Rendo gallery, and left some of the Failures, just to remind myself what I have done .

LOL nope keeping mine locked up in a special folder never to see the light. smile

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Posted: 25 June 2012 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
Szark - 25 June 2012 12:23 PM

I like helping others as much as I can and since doing a few tuts for Dreamlight I have a tendency to remember a lot. I do this for the same reason as you (which I read on page 3 of Jad’s thread) I do it for me for my own feeling of well being, if it winsa prize then a bonus. I am one of those that thinks taking part is more important than winning or being better than others. This doesn’t mean I don’t enter comps to win, that would be silly. smile

You and me both. I really used to like taking part in challenges, not contests. Prize for the Bryce challenge over at Rendo was to pick the title for the next challenge.

In fact at one stage I was part of the group who were trying to keep the Challenge Arena alive over there.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge

Posted: 25 June 2012 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

For me entering contests was/is a way to up my game, to force me to improve and test new ways of doing things which has given me the motivation to carry on without entering any contests now. Plus I like seeing the different interpretations of a given theme. I learn a lot from looking at other people’s art.

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Posted: 25 June 2012 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

I am hoping, once we get everything a bit more settled, that we can re-introduce Neils challenge idea from the old site.

I don’t know if you remember it, He called it a 6 steps challenge (as we could add 6 images on the old site) and the idea was to show the steps you took to get to the finished render.

So it was a teaching tool, in a way, as much as a render challenge.

Signature 

Posted: 25 June 2012 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

Nope totally missed that one but it does sound interesting. Yeah I really like the sound of that. As you say a good teaching tool and fun to do. Count me in.

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Posted: 25 June 2012 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

UNLURK=- Okay I just have to say Thanks for the info. And I’m now a BIG Szark fan -=RELURK

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

2 of 37