4 of 4
DAZ3d’s new Genesis 2 female realism
Posted: 22 August 2013 06:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1571
Joined  2008-11-10
snowpheonix - 22 August 2013 05:01 AM

OK..  In this instance… with respect, I think the other guys are right because you can combine real time elements within the browser of DAZ3d with 3delight and make photo realistic.  It is a combination of all the elements being real in the first place…  You’ll notice that with StoneMason and a lot of other venders, they have perfected the art of using MATERIALS that are real.  Pull out there “Back Alley?” or Asian Streets (I think) and they are realistic.

The rule of thumb applies… Garbage in, Garbage out.

If one element of your picture doesn’t look right, change it till you find one that does.  smile

I still believe that having great skins makes all the difference.  Keep reaching and happy rendering.

Actually skin textures have such a small part in making a render realistic. I think the real issue in the thread has never been realistic skins, because they actually exist in the store for Genesis two. The real problem is creating the proper lighting in order to make your renders look realistic. This is the real culprit with a lot of people having issues with textures. Bad lighting will kill any realism you think you have with the skin. And a lot of people really haven’t mastered lighting and how that relates to the objects you have in a scene and incorrectly puts the blame on textures. So I think people really should start how to light their scenes first, then look at how that light interacts with the materials on their objects. (Then learning how to adjust materials to properly interact with light is necessary too, so that textures don’t appear too oily, dry or washed out when different lighting is used)

Once people learn how to light the scene and how that interacts with the objects therein, they may find that the issues with textures they thought were unrealistic will suddenly go away.

Posted: 22 August 2013 06:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  448
Joined  2012-08-15
Kyoto Kid - 21 August 2013 01:21 PM

Realism here isn’t just about the shaders either, it’s also how the figure morphs and poses. I find that G2F does morph and pose much better than any of it’s predecessors without the need of extra enhancements.  The Morph Bundle expansion includes a number of controls not offered with previous models that expands the character design palette beyond what even the original Base Genesis offered.  With only he Base figure, Morph Bundle, Zev0’s Growing Up morphs, Handspun Studio’s Head Morph Resource Kit and Mallen Lane’s V4 clone, I discovered I can create many different characters, from children and teens to young adults and mature (female) characters without a hefty investment in other character morphs and plugins.One of the improvements I really like is that she finally has more natural looking facial expressions (in the past, I often had to tone down facial expressions and use them very sparingly as often they would begin to look almost hideous if dialed in beyond a certain point).

That is also “realism” and the kind of realism I do want.

I was thinking personally that Dimension Theory, Dreamlight and StoneMasons would have to be some of the best vendors for making realistic items. 

When it comes to lighting, I think that Dimension theories products are the best and easiest presets.  There HDR environments rock too… If you can, wait till they go on sale.. I bought them recently on quick sale.. they can be expensive.  Hopefully sooner or later everything I’d like to purchase comes down to where I can afford them myself.

Stone Masons makes great environments… toss in the dream light add ons and you can get some great results.  It would be awesome if a vendor that understands using good materials would make a skin.

It should look real before you even hit the render.. garbage in, garbage out.

Image Attachments
real1.jpg
 Signature 

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth.
─▀██▀─▄███▄─▀██─██▀██▀▀▀█─
──██─███─███─██─██─██▄█───
──██─▀██▄██▀─▀█▄█▀─██▀█───
─▄██▄▄█▀▀▀─────▀──▄██▄▄▄█...
While the heart beats, hope lingers..

Posted: 22 August 2013 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-10
snowpheonix - 22 August 2013 06:55 AM
Kyoto Kid - 21 August 2013 01:21 PM

Realism here isn’t just about the shaders either, it’s also how the figure morphs and poses. I find that G2F does morph and pose much better than any of it’s predecessors without the need of extra enhancements.  The Morph Bundle expansion includes a number of controls not offered with previous models that expands the character design palette beyond what even the original Base Genesis offered.  With only he Base figure, Morph Bundle, Zev0’s Growing Up morphs, Handspun Studio’s Head Morph Resource Kit and Mallen Lane’s V4 clone, I discovered I can create many different characters, from children and teens to young adults and mature (female) characters without a hefty investment in other character morphs and plugins.One of the improvements I really like is that she finally has more natural looking facial expressions (in the past, I often had to tone down facial expressions and use them very sparingly as often they would begin to look almost hideous if dialed in beyond a certain point).

That is also “realism” and the kind of realism I do want.

I was thinking personally that Dimension Theory, Dreamlight and StoneMasons would have to be some of the best vendors for making realistic items. 

When it comes to lighting, I think that Dimension theories products are the best and easiest presets.  There HDR environments rock too… If you can, wait till they go on sale.. I bought them recently on quick sale.. they can be expensive.  Hopefully sooner or later everything I’d like to purchase comes down to where I can afford them myself.

Stone Masons makes great environments… toss in the dream light add ons and you can get some great results.  It would be awesome if a vendor that understands using good materials would make a skin.

It should look real before you even hit the render.. garbage in, garbage out.

Unfortunately the lighting in this kills any realism you have in the skin. Notice the skin your render: dry and washed out. There is no depth in your render or sense of action. The render is way too dark. Lighting is where you need to start first before you address the subject of skins, because realistic skins is not the issue.

Posted: 22 August 2013 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-08-15
Male-M3dia - 22 August 2013 07:29 AM

Unfortunately the lighting in this kills any realism you have in the skin. Notice the skin your render: dry and washed out. There is no depth in your render or sense of action. The render is way too dark. Lighting is where you need to start first before you address the subject of skins, because realistic skins is not the issue.

Interesting because my picture is exactly what I think looks brilliant… granted I didn’t bother posing it but if I compared that render to anything currently on offer, I’d say mine wins hands down. BUT… If you can do better then why not show us all and then follow it up by telling us how you did it.  You up for the challenge or just trash talking other peoples preferences?

I mean, even if it does look “dried and washed out”... I think its a heck of a lot better then almost anything else rendered with 3delight.  At least it comes close. :p

Signature 

Posted: 22 August 2013 11:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-10
snowpheonix - 22 August 2013 08:30 AM

Interesting because my picture is exactly what I think looks brilliant… granted I didn’t bother posing it but if I compared that render to anything currently on offer, I’d say mine wins hands down. BUT… If you can do better then why not show us all and then follow it up by telling us how you did it.  You up for the challenge or just trash talking other peoples preferences?

I mean, even if it does look “dried and washed out”... I think its a heck of a lot better then almost anything else rendered with 3delight.  At least it comes close. :p

And here is really the problem: you think your renders look wonderful, when to be honest, they are nowhere near that. When people point out things that you should work on as constructive criticism, you feel as though you’re being attacked, which shows an unwillingness to listen, which is ironic in the context of this thread. So there’s really no need to show any of my work, though it’s displayed here and on several other galleries, because you’re not going using it as a tool to learn, but ammunition to attack.

I’ve constructively told you the issues which you need to master before even starting threads like this: lighting then materials. Hopefully you’ll take that to heart to do the research necessary to improve your craft.

Posted: 22 August 2013 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-08-15
Male-M3dia - 22 August 2013 11:05 AM

And here is really the problem: you think your renders look wonderful, when to be honest, they are nowhere near that. When people point out things that you should work on as constructive criticism, you feel as though you’re being attacked, which shows an unwillingness to listen, which is ironic in the context of this thread. So there’s really no need to show any of my work, though it’s displayed here and on several other galleries, because you’re not going using it as a tool to learn, but ammunition to attack.

I’ve constructively told you the issues which you need to master before even starting threads like this: lighting then materials. Hopefully you’ll take that to heart to do the research necessary to improve your craft.

So… not up to the challenge huh?  . 

You told me your OPINION and I disagree.

SHOW ME THE MONEY.  Do a better picture in 3delight and tell us how you do it.  It figures you were all talk and no action.

Signature 

Posted: 22 August 2013 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8371
Joined  2007-11-06

As this thread has degenerated into personal attacks rather than any kind of dialogue it is being locked.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

4 of 4