Digital Art Zone

1 of 4
DAZ3d’s new Genesis 2 female realism
Posted: 17 August 2013 05:05 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  448
Joined  2012-08-15

Speaking strictly to NEW products, I love the Genesis 2f.  Combine it with Zev0’s morph package and the shaping ability of this product line is amazing.  The sky’s the limit with what you can do…  Genesis (Original) has an army of artist still selling excellent characters for that line but my experience is that you can’t use characters between the two generations. 

I’m looking at the new product on Daz, “Brogan”...
http://www.daz3d.com/fast-grab-3d-models/fwma-brogan

Looks brilliant.  Wish I could use it on Victoria 6 but it says Genesis…  Genesis I have covered but it does look like the type of character I would add to my library.  Heck, the marketing feels like it screaming at me to buy it…

“a character for all who want to have a “Real Woman” in their Runtime.”

Hell Yah!  But then I think… Caucasion… I have a dozen Caucasian skins already for Genesis, I can still use my V4 skins too… but Genesis 2f?

I don’t like the selection of characters to date and I’ve been saving the material skins from my V4 and Genesis characters… it’s a pain because I have to do make up changes and skin changes, save it and the load it to the V6…

So… Even if I buy that brilliant new skin, I have to fiddle with it… I can’t just use it.  Then I remember that my G2f which is so brand new and shiny has so few options when it comes to skin colors.

Still… the end product is something beautiful and I highly recommend the Genesis 2 female…  I look forward to seeing a lot more from that line…

Look, I know its still a new product and people are out there making the very thing I’m waiting for…  I’m patient.  Still waiting…

Image Attachments
Castle_girl_1f.jpg
 Signature 

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth.
─▀██▀─▄███▄─▀██─██▀██▀▀▀█─
──██─███─███─██─██─██▄█───
──██─▀██▄██▀─▀█▄█▀─██▀█───
─▄██▄▄█▀▀▀─────▀──▄██▄▄▄█...
While the heart beats, hope lingers..

Posted: 17 August 2013 06:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  368
Joined  2012-09-30

I agree. G2F and V6 desperately need some decent Black African and Hispanic/Mediterannean skin tones.  All the characters released to date seem to hail from Scandinavia. How about it DAZ?

Signature 

High Priest of the black and recondite arts of the RPG IV compiler

Posted: 17 August 2013 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2818
Joined  2004-04-14

The V4 for G2F - http://www.daz3d.com/victoria-4-for-genesis-2-female - will allow you to use V4 character skins with G2F.

Any character that uses V5 UVs can also be used with G2F.

Signature 

My DAZ3D Store
My Free Stuff
My Art @ DeviantART
Ships of the Line - MEGA THREAD
How to use the Poser Format Exporter - **Updated 2013-02-09**

Posted: 17 August 2013 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-08-15
Mattymanx - 17 August 2013 09:19 AM

The V4 for G2F - http://www.daz3d.com/victoria-4-for-genesis-2-female - will allow you to use V4 character skins with G2F.

Any character that uses V5 UVs can also be used with G2F.

I have that ...  It was one of the first things I purchased after G2f.  I’ve never found a reason to use it.  Maybe I don’t know how to use it…. but what I do know is that being able to save v4 character skins and load them onto a v6 bites…  everytime I want to change any feature, (eye shadow, eye color or skin matte, I have to save one character on Genesis and then later load it onto V6… BORING.  I do like having the ability to put my V4 clothing on G2f but for character skins, its useless as far as I can see.

I don’t get why people would want to waste time fiddling with characters when you can just spend a few dollars and get something shiny and new.

Personally, I’d rather go and spend the money to buy some new characters that I can use directly on V6 with no hassles.  I see using old character skins simply as a gap filler until I can purchase some good characters for G2f.

Still… hopefully somebody found your share helpful.  I appreciate the thoughts.

Signature 

Posted: 17 August 2013 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7776
Joined  2009-05-14

Load Genesis 2, load V4 skin mats and change the UVmapping in the Surfaces Pane to V4 and you are done…easy when you know how which is exactly the same for Genesis 1 with the V4 shape for Genesis.

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 17 August 2013 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-08-15
alexhcowley - 17 August 2013 06:35 AM

I agree. G2F and V6 desperately need some decent Black African and Hispanic/Mediterannean skin tones.  All the characters released to date seem to hail from Scandinavia. How about it DAZ?

I’m glad you get it!  Thanks for adding your voice of support!

Image Attachments
gown4a.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 17 August 2013 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  85
Joined  2005-01-31

Here is a trick, lot of V5 skins works perfect in V6, you just has to make sure they are in duf format, so u can browse skins in the shop and look in whats included and make sure the mats are in duf. If mats are in duf u have to do nothing, just load the texture like in V6.

For example lot of people complain there is no black skin, you can try olivia: http://www.daz3d.com/olivia-for-v5
Works perfect in V6, if u don’t belive just look the render: V6 without any retouch just with olivia skin load.

Image Attachments
olivia.jpg

Posted: 17 August 2013 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

GF2 is a very new figure. It will take some time to build up a large collection of NEW content for it. That is one of the reasons the Option of using the V4 Shape and Converted textures was added and why V5 textures work also. So the users of GF2 had more texture options than just the few made for GF2 and V6 so far. The content will come as time passes.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 18 August 2013 03:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-08-15
Xdye - 17 August 2013 06:32 PM

Here is a trick, lot of V5 skins works perfect in V6, you just has to make sure they are in duf format, so u can browse skins in the shop and look in whats included and make sure the mats are in duf. If mats are in duf u have to do nothing, just load the texture like in V6.

For example lot of people complain there is no black skin, you can try olivia: http://www.daz3d.com/olivia-for-v5
Works perfect in V6, if u don’t belive just look the render: V6 without any retouch just with olivia skin load.

That trick works pretty good.  The other thing we can do I discovered by ranting on here is that you can re-use old skins after you save them as “Material Presets”.

Just load it onto your Genesis characters, save the Material presets of the character.  Then open up a v6 character and merge the material presets onto the selected character.

Using old skins isn’t a problem… Some of us and I’m guessing you too, just collect different skins.  I’ve got dozens of skins and I’ll buy dozens more…

I’m simply telling people in the business why I’m not buying some products and what I’m looking for in the future…. that way if people do want to get my money for their creations, they know what I’d like to see.

I’ll bet your probably in that same boat.

Image Attachments
echo1f.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 18 August 2013 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10939
Joined  2007-11-06

...that’s what I did,  I have separate material presets saved for several of my characters saved as well as a number of the basic V4 skins I use the most.

I agree that using different makeups would be a pain, especially when there are a lot of different options which include not only facial makeup, but eye colour and nail colour, as well as you have to setup and save each style individually (and if you have a lot of V4 textures like many of us have, that would be quite an undertaking0.

Now granted, I do not have V6, as I am exclusively working with G2F base, the Head/Body morphs and ZeV0’s Growing up, so for the characters I am developing at this time, different makeups are not as important

This is my Leela character built using the above, with Jamminwolf’s Tindra Thompson skin map.

Image Attachments
leela_portrait.jpg
 Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 20 August 2013 12:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-08-15
Kyoto Kid - 18 August 2013 04:28 PM

...that’s what I did,  I have separate material presets saved for several of my characters saved as well as a number of the basic V4 skins I use the most.

I agree that using different makeups would be a pain, especially when there are a lot of different options which include not only facial makeup, but eye colour and nail colour, as well as you have to setup and save each style individually (and if you have a lot of V4 textures like many of us have, that would be quite an undertaking0.

Now granted, I do not have V6, as I am exclusively working with G2F base, the Head/Body morphs and ZeV0’s Growing up, so for the characters I am developing at this time, different makeups are not as important

This is my Leela character built using the above, with Jamminwolf’s Tindra Thompson skin map.

The whole reason I’m having a love affair with G2f is ZeV0’s brilliant shaping tools and the remarkable job Daz3d did with this new female character. 

(For me)  In character development, I see it as two separate categories… Morphs and Skins.  I can put the same skin on a thousand different shapes and it will look like a different person. 

In the past, I’ve bought several morph packages just so I can get ‘the right shape’... Is my character short or skinny, pregnant or athletic… now with Genesis 2, we have the power and we can shape any character we want and we not reliant on the morphs that come in packages.  As you just demonstrated brilliantly we can form any shape but now we need that same type of technology put into the skin of the character.

I’ve been told in rumors that Daz3d decided not sell skins that are essentially pictures of real people stretch over skin… Maybe there previous “elite” category that tried to do this in the past wasn’t profitable enough.  I respect for whatever reasons.. choices have been made in the past.  At the time they were right to do so but now… it’s time they change and recognize that technology has leapfrogged and a good HD star model of a character is what the market wants. 

Some people complained that all “I want” (as if I’m alone) are beautiful characters… Well, yeah… so what?  I want my character skin to be real and its good to start with beautiful because you can always make anything ugly… beauty is something thats hard to find sometimes…

Time have changed the markets changed.  A skin should look like you just took a picture of your hot neighbor and rapped it over your form in 3D.. Hollywood does it all the time in movies like Tron… It’s time DAZ3D got in on it.

In the same way “Millennium environments” and “Dimension theories HDR Pro set” give us realism by placing real objects in layers, that same idea needs to translate to character skins.

Thanks for that great demonstration.. it was perfect!

Image Attachments
sane1b.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 20 August 2013 06:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  621
Joined  2011-03-26

edited and removed by user

Signature 

DAZ User Gallery / Facebook / Deviant Art

Posted: 20 August 2013 07:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15586
Joined  2003-10-09
linvanchene - 20 August 2013 06:50 AM

I’ve been told in rumors that Daz3d decided not sell skins that are essentially pictures of real people stretch over skin…

omg !`**ç&/%/&)

I always wondered why there are not realistic skin textures in the DAZ store. I always thought it is because the PA are just not capable or willing to work with realistic skin merchant sources.

For example you could use real photographs of people and then paint on the 3d model in applications like zbrush.
There are a merchant resource sites that sell photographs of real people that can be used to create textures for 3d models.

So this lack of realism was actually enforced by DAZ?

- - -

Pure unfounded speculation

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        August Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 20 August 2013 08:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1135
Joined  2004-06-13

I don’t think using pictures of real people’s skin is the best way to get ‘realistic’ skin textures.  Because it would be almost impossible to light the real world model with no shadows a lot of the ‘shading’ will actually be shadows.  Then there is the creases and folds of the skin that will produce shading artifacts.  Good 3D skin should start from a basic procedural shader that adds subtle tonal shifts to the base tone.  The next steps require a bit of anatomy / phsiology knowledge and observation skill by the artist to adjust light and dark, warm and cool tone values shifts of real skin.  And as I said in another thread hair, moles, birthmarks etc. should be added using LIE.

Signature 

Push buttons, see what happens!

Posted: 20 August 2013 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  621
Joined  2011-03-26

edited and removed by user

Signature 

DAZ User Gallery / Facebook / Deviant Art

Posted: 20 August 2013 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3479
Joined  2012-02-06
chohole - 20 August 2013 07:13 AM
linvanchene - 20 August 2013 06:50 AM

I’ve been told in rumors that Daz3d decided not sell skins that are essentially pictures of real people stretch over skin…

omg !`**ç&/%/&)

I always wondered why there are not realistic skin textures in the DAZ store. I always thought it is because the PA are just not capable or willing to work with realistic skin merchant sources.

For example you could use real photographs of people and then paint on the 3d model in applications like zbrush.
There are a merchant resource sites that sell photographs of real people that can be used to create textures for 3d models.

So this lack of realism was actually enforced by DAZ?

- - -

Pure unfounded speculation

Not just that…it’s actually demonstrably untrue:
1. http://www.daz3d.com/3d/3d-silver-surfer/ Read all about the methods used…
(I think the same model was used for V4 Elite Marie)

2. Reby Sky: the product page states that she’s “based on scan data” and “high resolution photos.” If I recall correctly the photos themselves used to be for sale here.

3. Michael 5: “The figure is derived from real 3D body scans and high-resolution photographs of real human men”

4. FW Monie...just released today: “the skin was created using high quality photo references for depth and detail.”

...among many examples. It’s possible that there’s a kernel of truth behind the rumors…perhaps for DAZ 3D Original skins created in-house, they’ve decided not to use photo references that are publicly available, but instead they do all the scanning and photographing themselves. I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case.

Signature 

Community Volunteer
Monthly New User Contests!

My tutorials and FAQs | My Gallery | My Render Thread
Visit my world… Tornalia.com | http://scottlivingston.deviantart.com

1 of 4