Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
D|S to Bryce bridge working again!
Posted: 26 August 2012 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15947
Joined  2003-10-09

My son struggled with both Bryce and Poser, mocked me for all my “arty farty” programs, until browsing one day he found Daz Studio.

He has never looked back. 

Ironically now he also uses Bryce and Poser ocasionally, but mostly DS. We make a good team now, for the textures I do for my web site. I make the textures, set them all up in Poser, mat pose them and prepare the zip, which I then upload to the backroom of the site, he downloads, makes DS settings for the and redoes the zip, which then goes onto the site for distribution. I think it is because of this that people are sometimes surprised when I say I don’t use DS. It does say in all my readmes that Neil makes the DS mats, but how many people read teh readme ?  rolleyes

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 26 August 2012 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  927
Joined  2003-10-09
chohole - 26 August 2012 04:03 PM

but how many people read teh readme ?  rolleyes

That’s another one of those, “How long is a piece of string?” type of questions isn’t it? smile

Posted: 26 August 2012 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Yes, I guess it is really. cool smirk

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge

Posted: 27 August 2012 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2003-10-09

Umm.  I just downloaded the new Daz Studio today, and I got the 4.5.0.114 version.  Is there a newer one than that, and how do I get it?  I’m not having much luck getting a M5 character over into Bryce 7.1.  Lots of “out of memory” notices.

Posted: 27 August 2012 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1616
Joined  2007-12-10
tomasball - 27 August 2012 12:03 PM

Umm.  I just downloaded the new Daz Studio today, and I got the 4.5.0.114 version.  Is there a newer one than that, and how do I get it?  I’m not having much luck getting a M5 character over into Bryce 7.1.  Lots of “out of memory” notices.

Yes, I think I’ve read that the 5 gen characters have much too complex geometry for Bryce to read correctly.
Even the poly count of M4 is a bit excessive.

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 27 August 2012 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  727
Joined  2006-05-26

There are some considerations with high resolution textures for skin and clothes eating up lots of resources, but there are many ways to get around that. When I get home from work tonight I will upload the exact steps you will need. I too am just getting my legs with the new DS 4.5 but I feel confident you can get a M5 into B7.1 without too much trouble. I would say for now try exporting again but do so with no skin. Use the All Mapless morph, send the model to Bryce, and then apply the skin textures while in Bryce. Works like a charm. There are also tutorials I have written to help make this happen easily but I dont have the time to find them (posting from work AGAIN) but I will post up the links later. Best of luck and talk to you soon.

Signature 

Please view my Daz3d User Gallery
http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/465/

Posted: 27 August 2012 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4769
Joined  2004-07-01
TheSavage64 - 27 August 2012 12:19 PM

Yes, I think I’ve read that the 5 gen characters have much too complex geometry for Bryce to read correctly.
Even the poly count of M4 is a bit excessive.

works fine

Posted: 27 August 2012 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4769
Joined  2004-07-01

just did this using the bridge

Image Attachments
1_Bryce_Genesis.jpg

Posted: 28 August 2012 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2003-10-09

Yup, just got 4.5R loaded lat night and the Bryce Bridge works quite well. While I’m still not entirely sold on D|S, I really like the Genesis figure’s flexibility.

Here’s what I brought over and just had to add more stuff…

This is the Genesis figure, with no changes to the bridged model in Bryce. Kinda cheesecake, but it’s only one of two outfits that come with the Genesis package.
Added one of RJ001’s excellent Bryce truck models and a primitive thingie with one of David Brinnen’s Mab variant textures from his Pro Material collection.
Illuminated by the Bryce sun, Use Sky IBL and True Ambience (64 RPP).

Image Attachments
gen_driver.jpg

Posted: 01 September 2012 08:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2599
Joined  2004-07-06

Run a few tests with DS4.5 Pro porting things over.  Now what I find utterly mystifying considering DAZ wrote DS and have owned Bryce for quite some time now why whoever wrote the bridge has failed to link up the materials properties in a more satisfactory way.  This should have been sorted a long time before now.  It should have been addressed when the bridge was first written - shouldn’t it?

Anyway, issues… first this one belongs to Bryce and is known, the smoothing of meshes is a bit faulty and that has caused the shadow artefacts seen on her sleeves.

Materials… I modified the hair - bit it sort of worked before.  But the cornea - was non-existent - blend transparency was being used when it should have been normal and set to provide specular.  Also, her lips, I notice no specular and the bump map wasn’t enabled (and besides DS hasn’t sent a correct bump map).  There are doubtless more, I’m only getting started, but really can anyone think of a good reason why this can’t be fixed and easily?  I ask, because otherwise, we need to get pestering DAZ to fix this ADSAP (As Daz Soon As Possible).  Any thoughts?

Image Attachments
Greenish_bricks1.jpg
 Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 01 September 2012 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2392
Joined  2007-12-07

I wonder if this is linked to the issue I had recently when sending ‘Feathered Wings’ across the bridge to Bryce (from DS4.5) where the materials for the Millennium Dragon came over fine, the materials for M4 (and it was M4 not Genesis in M4-mode) with Sparky’s Gryphon morphs and MATs, along with the mentioned wings was just wrong ...
Images of DAZ scene, the Objects exported and how they appear in Bryce.  I can’t capture it, but the Mesh Groups in Bryce are named Legs Pawed M5, Michael 5, Tail Long M5 for the non-dragon.

Image Attachments
DS45_preview.jpgObjects_selected.jpgIn_Bryce.jpgChase.jpg
 Signature 

Some writings by a friend:
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/11.html
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/13.html
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/7.html

Posted: 01 September 2012 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1533
Joined  2003-10-09

Umm.  I just downloaded the new Daz Studio today, and I got the 4.5.0.114 version.  Is there a newer one than that.

4.5.0.114 was the most recently released version (unless I missed something in the last week or two), so you should already have what you need.

I would love to see more D|S to Bryce bridge improvements as well…

Posted: 01 September 2012 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2012-03-25

Not sure if I the following is a good idea;

I was thinking about alternative options to the bridge such as;

Plugin version of Bryce that works directly in DS.

Once installed it will show up under a new tab; Bryce [Scenes] and that section of the UI will look just like Bryce.

Render settings will allow additional options; to include Bryce render mode.

Preview whilst working in DS sections will not display of course but an option to float (or dock) Bryce mini Quick Preview window with stay on top / float options when working in DS modes / tabs; actors, clothing, lighting, pose, animation.

Overall this plugin concept (idea) can be enabled or disabled in DS preferences.

Anyway this is just a flight of fantasy, a feature suggestion.

Posted: 01 September 2012 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Would only work for those who actually use DS.  For me, I use poser as a addon for Bryce,

Signature 

Posted: 01 September 2012 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2012-03-25
chohole - 01 September 2012 01:14 PM

Would only work for those who actually use DS.  For me, I use poser as a addon for Bryce,

I recently got Poser Pro 2010 at Amazon for a really good price ($79.99) and started to work with it. Initially the default UI is too cluttered (claustrophobic) for my liking so I’ve cleaned that up immediately to allow much greater workspace and use the shortcuts to show/hide tools and such. Works really well.

The Firefly rendering is quite good but the preview prior to is hideous lol although that’s been addressed in version 2012.

Now I need to learn how to work with Poser + Bryce, so far import/export seems to work OK although not perfect and I guess that’s the nature of using .obj formats, is there’s another better format I should be using?.

I usually keep all my materials well organized/simplified so that locating them won’t be an issue.

Still on my learner’s permit lol I’m producing a music video and this will be my first for creating CGi characters with as much realism as I can get. I have Sony Vegas as the main video editor to bring it all together. I estimate I would need to create at least 100 scenes?.... {ahem} should have it all done by 2025? (j/k) LOL!!

DS has a great UI and I can whip up a 3D scene (interior of a space craft) easier than working with Poser; I’m still trying to figure out how to get the image maps aligned properly in Poser.

DS also has really nice default character bases (Genesis, Victoria and Michael), I think these are DS strengths.

Optimization options for the bases to allow easier skinning/clothing and thereby faster render times in Bryce could be a good feature.  I’ve done test scenes with characters in Bryce, getting the materials and lighting perfect is my biggest challenge and sometimes (not always) I get that out-of-memory error in Bryce.

2 of 2