Digital Art Zone

1 of 6
The History of Carrara
Posted: 12 August 2013 08:21 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  650
Joined  2006-04-21

From Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrara_(software)

The history of Carrara started in 1989 when a group of individuals founded Ray Dream, Inc. with the idea of creating graphic software for the new Mac computers with color displays. Two years later the first version of their new 3D graphics program which they named Ray Dream Studio was released.
In the years that followed Ray Dream Studio became a successful product having at one time over 200,000 users. In 1996 Ray Dream Inc. was sold to Fractal Design Corporation (developer of Painter, Poser). Fractal Design Corporation was in turn acquired by MetaTools (developer of Bryce, KPT) shortly thereafter. The combination of the two companies was given the new name MetaCreations. Around the same time another 3D graphics program named Infini-D was acquired from Specular International. Now owning two 3D graphics programs, MetaCreations decided to merge Ray Dream and Infini-D into one application giving it the new name Carrara.
Metacreations released version 1.0 of Carrara and then soon released a patch for the code as the original release had significant bugs. Very soon after the patch was released, Metacreations stopped support of Carrara due to the divestment of the package with the interests of Metacreations moving into other areas. For a short period, Carrara users were without support and the only way to get the patch was through other internet sites or other Carrara interest groups which could be found in different places on the web.
Around the year 2000 when Metacreations was divesting itself of most of its products including Carrara, Metacreations sold the package to a new company named Eovia founded by former MetaCreations employee Antoine Clappier. Eovia developed Carrara for several versions culminating with version 5 released in 2005. Eovia also developed a new 3D modeling application named Hexagon which shipped in 2005.
Eovia installed significant upgrades to the package which would include bringing forward the Raydream physics package which was originally not licensed in the Metacreations version of the code. The inclusion of soft shadows, caustics, global illumination lighting abilities and improved atmosphere models are just some of the improvements Eovia installed.
In 2006 DAZ 3D (developers of DAZ Studio and a line of articulated 3D figures) acquired Eovia along with Carrara and Hexagon. Several programmers formerly employed by Eovia now work for DAZ and continue development on Carrara.
DAZ 3D has had a significant focus of adding functions for poseable figures as well as models for hair and animation tools.
May 2010 DAZ 3D launched the current version of Carrara 8.0 to the public. DAZ 3D works in an “Open Development” environment, releasing early and turning to the users for input and feature input. The last 2 releases of Carrara have been done using this development cycle.
Carrara (8) includes the addition of the bullet physics package which has provided Carrara the ability to generate improved animation techniques for scenes involving collisions of multiple bodies or particles. DAZ has also added models for softbody dynamics which makes it possible for cloth and other clothing types of animations to be generated with realistic results.

Signature 

Ringo Monfort

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/DigitalPainters3D

Posted: 12 August 2013 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2003-10-23

As I recall, RayDream was also a part of Coreldraw and it was called CorelDream or something similar…around version 3 of Raydream…but was then dropped by Corel.  I think that is where I first heard of Raydream; via CorelDraw..have been using Raydream since version 3 till now C8.
Doug.S

Posted: 13 August 2013 03:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17043
Joined  2003-10-09

I actually don’t recall that, and I was using CorelDraw before I found 3D.

I do however remember buying a combined package containing Bryce 3, Poser 3 and RayDream as a bundle When I updated from Bryce 2 to Bryce 3.  That was still Meta Creations.  Corel did buy Bryce when MetaCreations decided to sell off the software, before it came over to DAZ 3D.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 13 August 2013 06:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-04-21

Corel did carried the basic version of RayDream.

Signature 

Ringo Monfort

Posted: 13 August 2013 07:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Ah right, must have missed that. I still have at least one version of CorelDraw around, I used to really like CorelDraw.  And Corel Photo-paint, before I got PSP and then Photoshop.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge

Posted: 13 August 2013 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6469
Joined  2007-12-04

Wasn’t Bryce free for a while during Corel’s reign?
I just bought Paint Shop Pro X5 bundled with VideoStudio X5 from Corel, and am quite impressed with the value/cost ratio being enormously in my favor.

Ringo, thanks for that. Very cool. Jack Whitney has a really nice “Carrara 5 Essential Training” set at Lynda.com, which is a really nice, broad look at all of the features from that version - including most modeling functions. I see that you can get it on CD at Amazon, along with training for many older versions of Carrara. They even have a brand new copy of Carrara 3! smile (last I checked)

Carrara 5 Pro, from what I gather from the above, was when they’ve first introduced Poser Content support, which is the biggest feature that drew me in. I began my journey down this road from Poser - making images for Game avatars for Neverwinter Nights, using 3ds and Gmax for supplemental game mods - the Avatars in Poser was merely an after thought that my 3d trainer turned me on to. “Hmmm, if I could get just a smidgeon of modeling functionality from either Max into Poser…” is what eventually got me to find Carrara 5. By the time I bought it, it was nearing version 8 in the capable hands of DAZ3D.

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 13 August 2013 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
Dartanbeck - 13 August 2013 09:28 AM

No.  I paid full Price for Corel Bryce 5   and as far as I can recall it was only available as a CD copy,  and even when it came over to Daz it was still a paid for item. Bryce 5.5 was 119.95 ( or £19.95 as an upgrade if you were an artzone member). 5.5 became free some time later, when Daz released Bryce 6.

Signature 

Posted: 13 August 2013 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-04-21

I just bought Paint Shop Pro X5 bundled with VideoStudio X5 from Corel, and am quite impressed with the value/cost ratio being enormously in my favor.

Ringo, thanks for that. Very cool. Jack Whitney has a really nice “Carrara 5 Essential Training” set at Lynda.com, which is a really nice, broad look at all of the features from that version - including most modeling functions. I see that you can get it on CD at Amazon, along with training for many older versions of Carrara. They even have a brand new copy of Carrara 3! smile (last I checked)

Carrara 5 Pro, from what I gather from the above, was when they’ve first introduced Poser Content support, which is the biggest feature that drew me in. I began my journey down this road from Poser - making images for Game avatars for Neverwinter Nights, using 3ds and Gmax for supplemental game mods - the Avatars in Poser was merely an after thought that my 3d trainer turned me on to. “Hmmm, if I could get just a smidgeon of modeling functionality from either Max into Poser…” is what eventually got me to find Carrara 5. By the time I bought it, it was nearing version 8 in the capable hands of DAZ3D.

Jack Whitney, bring back lots of memories. I had a chance to meet Jack when we both went to MacWorld with Eovia to do Carrara and hexagon demostrations. Carrara has come a long way.

Signature 

Ringo Monfort

Posted: 13 August 2013 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
chohole - 13 August 2013 11:06 AM

No.  I paid full Price for Corel Bryce 5   and as far as I can recall it was only available as a CD copy,  and even when it came over to Daz it was still a paid for item. Bryce 5.5 was 119.95 ( or £19.95 as an upgrade if you were an artzone member). 5.5 became free some time later, when Daz released Bryce 6.

Okay. The reason for the misconception on my end, is that when I first started talking about the fact that I was into Poser, someone told me that I should check out Bryce. It’s much better than Poser and it’s Free, he said.  Been wondering about that ever since. Could be because there was (and likely still is) a free demo at c|net? I dunno.
So even after getting Carrara, I was still planning on buying Bryce, later on. Then, well… you know what happened! smile

Oh… and, You’ve asked for a picture? Here she is:

Image Attachments
Asleep_on_a_Shoulder.jpg
 Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 13 August 2013 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
RingoMonfort - 13 August 2013 11:25 AM

Jack Whitney, bring back lots of memories. I had a chance to meet Jack when we both went to MacWorld with Eovia to do Carrara and hexagon demostrations. Carrara has come a long way.

That is cooler than cool! Did you know Philip Staigerman, too? Not sure for how long, or what he did, but I know he used to work at Eovia too.

Funny. I that copy of Carrara 3 remains at Amazon much longer, I’m gonna buy it just for nostalgia! smile
Jack’s Training video is incredibly detailed. And just watching through that, and from the e-mail reply he gave me when I asked if he’s consider doing some more stuff more geared towards the animation aspects, I bet he was a fun fellow to work/associate with. We’re lucky that we now have Phil Wilkes as our personal trainer. I use his as my TV smile

Signature 

Posted: 13 August 2013 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
Dartanbeck - 13 August 2013 04:41 PM

Okay. The reason for the misconception on my end, is that when I first started talking about the fact that I was into Poser, someone told me that I should check out Bryce. It’s much better than Poser and it’s Free, he said.  Been wondering about that ever since. Could be because there was (and likely still is) a free demo at c|net? I dunno.
So even after getting Carrara, I was still planning on buying Bryce, later on. Then, well… you know what happened! smile

Oh Dart she is So sweet.

I have been using Bryce since1997, Own every version since Bryce 2, which was the first version for PC, and know the history of Bryce very well. DAZ 3D is the only owner of Bryce who has ever released free versions, unless you count a mag cover copy of Br 2 as free.

But enough derailing, back to the History of Carrara.

Signature 

Posted: 13 August 2013 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-04-21
Dartanbeck - 13 August 2013 04:47 PM
RingoMonfort - 13 August 2013 11:25 AM

That is cooler than cool! Did you know Philip Staigerman, too? Not sure for how long, or what he did, but I know he used to work at Eovia too.

Funny. I that copy of Carrara 3 remains at Amazon much longer, I’m gonna buy it just for nostalgia! smile
Jack’s Training video is incredibly detailed. And just watching through that, and from the e-mail reply he gave me when I asked if he’s consider doing some more stuff more geared towards the animation aspects, I bet he was a fun fellow to work/associate with. We’re lucky that we now have Phil Wilkes as our personal trainer. I use his as my TV smile

Oh yes Philip is my pal!!!  Mr Dogwaffle.. love Philip.

Signature 

Ringo Monfort

Posted: 14 August 2013 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6044
Joined  2006-08-27
Dartanbeck - 13 August 2013 04:41 PM

Really nice Dart! Wait ‘til she gets old enough to really appreciate Grampa!

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 14 August 2013 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

LOL…

Say Ringo,
I tried the link in the first post and it leads to a null entry - which suggests Going Here Instead Wow… and that takes me to the same page that your link goes. So… readers, once you get to that page, click on the Carrara (software) suggested link, and you’ll get to the right spot. I hope.
Sorry for the derail :(

Signature 

Posted: 14 August 2013 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  435
Joined  2010-09-22

I will have you all know.. .I use to use RAY dream to make animated TV Commercials WAAAAY back in the day! I thought I had died and gone to heaven when Ray dream/Carrara came out with SOFT SHADOWS!! NIRVANA!

GAWN what was the CEO name at ray dream who use to answer his own e-mail! AH the good old days!

Posted: 14 August 2013 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
RichardChaos - 14 August 2013 05:27 PM

I will have you all know.. .I use to use RAY dream to make animated TV Commercials WAAAAY back in the day! I thought I had died and gone to heaven when Ray dream/Carrara came out with SOFT SHADOWS!! NIRVANA!

GAWN what was the CEO name at ray dream who use to answer his own e-mail! AH the good old days!

That is SO cool to know, RC!

Signature 

1 of 6