DAZ 3D is pleased to announce the next public version of the DAZ Studio Pro BETA - version 126.96.36.199!
What is a BETA?
Despite our best efforts, DAZ 3D cannot possibly test the software under all possible conditions. So, we are providing this version of the application to the general public in order to uncover problems that were not discovered during internal/private testing. We expect that there will still be problems and we hope that when users encounter any problems, they will report them to the Bug Tracker so that they can be validated, prioritized and fixed.
As with any software classified as being in the BETA phase of development, you should expect to encounter bugs. Any bugs you do encounter while using BETA software can vary in terms of severity, from minor features that do not work correctly to problems that cause your computer to crash. Before choosing to use BETA software for production purposes, you should decide whether the benefit of new features and bug fixes provided by the BETA version outweighs the risk of instability you may encounter.
What is new in this version? Do I need to update my copy?
The 188.8.131.52 version resolves several issues and implements many improvements since the 184.108.40.206 General Release. More detail on specific fixes/changes/improvements can be found in the Change Log, which can be viewed online within the Documentation Center portion of our site. All new downloads of the DAZ Studio Pro BETA product (SKU: 12000) will be of this version.
Public BETA 1 (220.127.116.11) highlights are:
1) Added support for allowing a BETA build to co-exist with the General Release of the same major version; i.e. 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124 installed at the same time; see below.
2) Updated the 3Delight render engine to 10.0.144; see 3Delight Change Log for more details.
3) Updated OpenSubdiv support to 1.2.1
4) Significant improvements to viewport display; currently implemented as the “Texture Shaded 2.0” DrawStyle. This DrawStyle implements per-pixel lighting, rather than the vertex lighting used in earlier versions, with improved specular, normal maps, bump maps, reflections and gamma correction. Viewport display of the default distant, spot and point lights now match 3Delight results much more closely. These improvements are hardware dependent.
5) Added support for “Projection Morphs”; used to override the shape of a specific morph with an alternate shape for the purpose of auto-generated morph projections.
6) Added support for arbitrary node selection helpers; parented props can now be set [within Joint Editor Tool Settings] to promote viewport selection to their parent node; allows for “handles” to be made from any object in the scene, including instances.
7) Added an “Open Recent” submenu to the File menu; lists recently opened/saved scene files. The menus need to be rebuilt for this option to appear; applying a default layout, or importing the Default Advanced menus will cause menus to be rebuilt. A script to update/merge menus is being worked on for a future build.
8) Added a “Display Separate Items” action to the Parameters, Posing and Shaping pane option menus. These actions toggle whether the display of property groups in the pane are separated according to the items in the scene or consolidated into a single hierarchy.
9) Added a “Display Followers” action to the Parameters, Posing and Shaping pane option menus. These actions provide the ability to see the properties of followers (i.e. clothing, hair, etc) in the Parameters, Posing and Shaping panes when the host figure is selected.
10) Fixes/workarounds to various GoZ plugin issues; saving of morph assets; spaces and/or special characters in scene item labels causing creation of subtools to halt.
11) Added an alternate image option for the splash/about screen
Has the Genesis Starter Essentials, or the Genesis 2 Female Starter Essentials, content packages been updated too?
No, the Genesis Starter Essentials and Genesis 2 Female Starter Essentials content that is provided with the product has NOT been updated beyond what is currently available with the General Release.
How do I get the latest version?
If you have previously added the DAZ Studio Pro BETA product to your account, launch Install Manager, log into your account and type “DAZ Studio 4.6 Public Beta” into the filter field to filter out anything else. Then simply download and install as you would normally.
Optionally, you can locate, download and install the BETA from the Product Library [once you are logged into your account] by entering “DAZ Studio Pro BETA” into the text field near the top left of the page and clicking the “Filter” button, or by clicking here. Then, simply click the “download & install” button.
If this is your first time downloading DAZ Studio Pro BETA, simply follow this link, click the “Add to Cart” button on the page and then follow the checkout process.
*Note: This BETA version is not available as a standalone installer. It must be downloaded and installed using Install Manager.
Can I have the General Release and the BETA installed at the same time?
Yes! You can now have both the General Release and a Public Beta (as well as a Private Beta, for those involved in that endeavor), of the same major version, installed at the same time. Please be aware that the settings for each of the builds are now stored independent of each other.
What about the plugins I have?
The DAZ Studio 4.5 SDK has not changed in any way that is binary incompatible, which means that any plugins created for a previous version of DAZ Studio 4.5.x should continue to load and function. That said, as with any new release, there is always the possibility that a plugin has had bugs fixed or features added, so the latest versions should be downloaded and installed if they are provided.
Plugins that are currently built/produced by DAZ 3D will provide a separate package specifically intended for the BETA. 3rd party plugins that DAZ 3D creates install packages for will be updated to allow simultaneous installation into the General Release and the BETA builds. These packages will display as “Product Updates” within Install Manager once they have been updated.
Is there any documentation?
Yes, some documentation is located here.