Digital Art Zone

3 of 29
Carrara Challenge 3: PARADISE LOST AND FOUND. Work In Progress (WIP) thread.
Posted: 08 August 2013 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2042
Joined  2008-01-28
Dartanbeck - 08 August 2013 05:28 AM
Varsel - 08 August 2013 02:21 AM

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence..

Killer pun, my friend! Nice image, too!

head wax - 08 August 2013 03:55 AM

“Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

― John Milton, Paradise Lost

Beautiful! Is that AnyFX filter in Dogwaffle?
Regardless, Great images - both.

thank you Dart smile
Oh I just upped the saturation, then erased part, then copied that and pasted, then fiddled with the levels, then erased part, ciopied and pasted, up the saturation and made that a ‘screen’ parameter then dropped the opacity down to about 7 percent - well I think that’s what I did, it’s like driving a car, you put the key in, turn the ignition and suddenly you are where you wanted to go without remembering how you got there smile

Signature 

http://andrewfinnie.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 08 August 2013 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-28

zgock that’s a marvellous plug in you have made thank you smile

ManStan - 08 August 2013 09:39 AM

Wip it. M4 and the coronet from the carrara objects folder.

ManStan that’s a wonderfully emotive image so far. It really expresses something within all of us at one time or another.

Socratease - really looking forward to what you come up with in the NPR - and I hope you PM me with the details of how you do it wink

diomede64 that’s an amazing image you have dug up. Could be a case for a lot of post work. Interesting the tonal range is quite high - so there are no really dark shadows. My first thought would be to have no lights, then crank up the ambient to the max, then slowly tune that and add lights where necessary. Of course turning up the ambient is a bad thing and should be avoided usually !

Signature 

Posted: 08 August 2013 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-28
DimensionTheory - 08 August 2013 05:09 PM

I just wanted to say the theme for this contest seems really fun, a lot of potential for interpretation as to what you consider paradise to be.  Also a lot of potential use for Carrara’s plant features if you ask me, maybe I’m the only one that considers paradise to be full of trees and plants <_<

Anyway, I’m sorry to the winners of the last round for not having prizes out yet, I was a bit confused as to whether or not I was handing them out.  I’ve got quite a bit going on right now so please give me some time to get things uploaded and sorted (that Monterey set in particular will take some time to get up lol).

I’m very sorry to have not told you DimensionTheory. Big apologies! I don’t know how to add a blushing icon.  Oops

There is no hurry, I am sure the winners are patient knowing the delights that await them at the end of their patience.

thank you once again for your generosity.
I’m looking forward to seeing what wonderous images the winner produce with your works.

Signature 

Posted: 08 August 2013 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1010
Joined  2003-10-09

Sockratease.  Thanks for posting the sample NPRs.  How fun!  Any suggestions for settings? 
Head Wax, thanks for the tips on ambient.  I’ll experiment.

As seen in the attached, I have a LONG way to go!  I’m using the sample as inspiration - I’m not just going to try to reproduce it (at least not for the challenge). 

Just to confirm the rules about content.  In the attached, I’ve used DAZ Michael 3 and the wings from Poser 6.  Now as I understand it, that is OK as long as everything is credited.  Furthermore, if I use the 3D paint feature in Carrara to substantially repaint the wings, then the painting of the wings would count towards the 3 required self creations.  Similarly, if I substantially Morph/texture M3, that would count toward the 3.

Image Attachments
Wing_render_test.JPGWingPaint.JPG

Posted: 08 August 2013 06:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  353
Joined  2006-02-03

I have an image in mind, but Wendy is not answering her door or her phone and I cannot get my pair of dice that I lost at her place.

Posted: 08 August 2013 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7680
Joined  2009-07-13

⚂⚃

EDIT. my Android unicode die not showing on Chrome at least

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 08 August 2013 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5456
Joined  2006-08-27
wendy♥catz - 08 August 2013 06:47 PM

⚂⚃

LOL

Here’s a couple screen shots of what I’m working on. I’ve built a highway segment with shading domains. The shaders are just placeholder at the moment.

I can’t tell you what the image is going to be at this point, because it’s going to be a visual joke. Trying to describe it would be giving away the joke, and also it would lose something in the translation from image to text.

I’ll post more stuff with the scene as I progress….

Image Attachments
Picture_3.pngPicture_2.png
 Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 08 August 2013 09:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  226
Joined  2006-08-27
diomede64 - 08 August 2013 06:41 PM

Sockratease.  Thanks for posting the sample NPRs.  How fun!  Any suggestions for settings? 
Head Wax, thanks for the tips on ambient.  I’ll experiment.

As seen in the attached, I have a LONG way to go!  I’m using the sample as inspiration - I’m not just going to try to reproduce it (at least not for the challenge). 

Just to confirm the rules about content.  In the attached, I’ve used DAZ Michael 3 and the wings from Poser 6.  Now as I understand it, that is OK as long as everything is credited.  Furthermore, if I use the 3D paint feature in Carrara to substantially repaint the wings, then the painting of the wings would count towards the 3 required self creations.  Similarly, if I substantially Morph/texture M3, that would count toward the 3.

That’s a very impressive start! I especially like how the background got rendered: it has a similar tonal variations palette to the image you are inspired by.

You’ve inspired me to go experiment with NPR, so now working on my own entry has been delayed… and I’m just playing with the renderer… this will take some time… rolleyes

Rules:
Yes,  all content allowed as long as you credit it. (That include any character morphs, poses or textures you are using.)

First of all, if you are using NPR and will be altering the renderer settings by adding, say, your own brushes, or creating your own presets with non-default values, I would count that as your 3 original/modified items.

3D-painting of wings = +1 original/modified item.

Morphing M3 will count as long as the morphing is done at least partially using your own morphs (not just dialling morph values of the figure or character injections). In the vortex modeller you can add morphs to the figure’s subgroups (like head, neck, etc.) And you can then edit the morph you added, sculpt the model to your liking, validate the morph to end the editing, and that would become your own Carrara-created morph.

Adding such morph(s) on the content models will count towards +1 original/modified item (+1 for each model to which you are adding the morphs).

(Sorry for being so specific about morph-adding process, I’m not trying to suggest that you don’t know how to do it, I’m just trying to make my answers about rules relevant to all possible viewers of this thread, including completely new Carrara users, if they happen to find this thread and wish to participate)

If you add morphs to M3, then re-texturing M3 will not get you another +1 to the original/modified items count, because it’s still the same item: M3.

But you can create special shaders for his hair or clothing objects or spear. The shaders will count as +1 if you create your own textures, or procedural shader with your own values for the procedural parameters (not the defaults that come in when you select a type or preset), or if you create a complex shader with mixed layers, or mixed channels.

Does this make things clearer or more confusing?

Signature 

My Showcase at Carrara Cafe

Posted: 08 August 2013 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-08-27
Sockratease - 08 August 2013 04:33 PM

I love the NPR Engine!

Here’s a couple from a hopefully longer series called “Kamen Rider Gets A New Ride”  (Toldja I liked Japanese Monster stuff!)

The real goal started an effort to make NPR Fire. 

Very interesting results. It somehow looks like you are using different brushes for different objects… is that the case? Or are those just different brushes for different layers?

Signature 

Posted: 08 August 2013 10:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-28

diomedes wrote:

well it’s a wonderfull start, the rainbow colours on the wings are intriguing me,

evilproducer, I am getting ready to see what you come up with, I am sitting down and have put my coffee in a safe place so I don’t spill it smile

Signature 

Posted: 08 August 2013 10:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-08-27

UPDATES:

I have updated the original post with the announcement about our great sponsor this month: Age of Armour has donated amazing and extremely generous prizes for the challenge.

I also amended the rules to include the requirement that all images be specially created for this challenge and previously unpublished. I think it’s already been understood from the WIP requirement, but just in case and to prevent any future misunderstandings, I added it as an official rule.

Signature 

Posted: 08 August 2013 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-28

Age of Armour !

yippee! smile

I’m, blessed to have Age of Armour’s Studio Paris.

http://www.daz3d.com/studio-paris

Amazing work he does - and it’s packed full of models to use in other places.
Everything shuts and opens and its wonderful representation of a real studio.
I’d love to have one like that in real life smile

Oddly enough a great coincidence that it’s Eugène Delacroix’ Studio , the same artist diomedes’ is taking inspiration from.

I just discovered that AoA also has some free addons for the set. http://www.ageofarmour.com/3d/free/studio-paris-freebies.html

Signature 

Posted: 09 August 2013 12:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2005-04-23

WIP:Custom Anime Head for Genesis(Modeled with Carrara/Hexagon 50%/50%) And some YATooned Custom Shaders
I think Hair is probably to replace

diomede64 - 08 August 2013 03:34 PM

I think I’d like to experiment with non-photorealistic, but also non-toon.  Perhaps something along the lines of the attached image of St Michael and Lucifer.  Any pointers to tutorials, etc. in addition to the following at carrara cafe?

http://carraracafe.com/non-photorealistic-rendering-npr/

edit - the image is not a WIP, it is a classic found at
http://www.eugenedelacroix.org/St-Michael-defeats-the-Devil.html

I love NPR too.
You can use YAToon for NPR Assistant Shader. YAToon’s color breaking assists NPR.
There is my NPR render with YAToon 1.1

Image Attachments
Doc1.pngzgock03.jpg

Posted: 09 August 2013 12:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-28

zgock wrote :

WIP:Custom Anime Head for Genesis(Modeled with Carrara/Hexagon 50%/50%) And some YATooned Custom Shaders
I think Hair is probably to replace

I’m really looking forward to learning from watching you. My aim is to produce work that looks like illustration - so Yatoon will come in really handy for me when I get a chance to play with it some more.

Signature 

Posted: 09 August 2013 12:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  332
Joined  2007-12-18
head wax - 08 August 2013 06:14 PM

I’m very sorry to have not told you DimensionTheory. Big apologies! I don’t know how to add a blushing icon.  Oops

It’s not your fault lol, no worries!  I’d assumed you answered my question when we were talking about sponsorship so I kinda went on thinking I didn’t have to worry about it, good thing I decided to double check smile

3 of 29