Digital Art Zone

2 of 29
Carrara Challenge 3: PARADISE LOST AND FOUND. Work In Progress (WIP) thread.
Posted: 07 August 2013 11:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1993
Joined  2008-01-28
Salem2007 - 07 August 2013 10:55 PM

The 3 modified or created items is stumping me—-but I’m going to give it a try.  Would using the replicator and particle emitter only qualify?

greetings Salem2007, great if you put an entry in!

At least 3 (three) items in the scene must be created OR significantly modified in Carrara.

There’s lots of ways to satisfy this. I’m guessing they don’t have to be complicated things if you don’t want them to be.

Signature 

http://andrewfinnie.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 07 August 2013 11:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-28
ManStan - 07 August 2013 08:27 PM

Hmm, reinstall and work with what I have or download another gig ???

No, the title brought a couple pictures to mind. Got most of what I need for one; need a trumpet and case. And nothing I need for the other but the island and ocean.

ManStan I am really looking forward to seeing what you come up with. You do great stuff in Carrara, you look at things in lateral ways, I’d love to see you participate, and even win. That voucher would come in handy I reckon. Now crack out that whip smile

Signature 

Posted: 08 August 2013 02:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  227
Joined  0

Great theme, and clear and understandably rules.

So it’s of to work and get the inspirational muse to wake up..

So I dug up an old picture from the bottom of my harddrive, and maybe this can be a base to work on.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence..

Image Attachments
greengrass.jpg
 Signature 

My freebies : http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=Varsel

Posted: 08 August 2013 03:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  232
Joined  2009-04-06

Hi Antara,

I love the theme you’ve chosen.
It’s very inspiring and my main problem will be to limit myself to 1 or maybe 2 ideas.

Thank you for hosting this challenge

Posted: 08 August 2013 03:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-28

just something thinking out loud , adam and eve crossed my mind, if I do some more work on this I’ll list the content,
the plug in I used most was Fenric’s shader doctor, saves me so much time Aslan Court is the periphery, Lisa Cherry Trees, the floor is a vertex circle with a reflection shader, the snake is Daz Python, the apple is from the medieval market box of apples,

Just a WIP

“Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

― John Milton, Paradise Lost

second image is before post work

For lights.:

There are three lights over the table. One spot light with a light cone and inverted shadows gives the cone under t he table. That spot duplicated and then a light cone without inverted shadows. A third spot with a warm hue lights the apple only. A spot above the snake lights the snake only. I replicated a light bulb with fall off at four feet and low illumination on the cherry tree’s leaf shader.
5 percent ambient.

The reflection shader on t he ground does the rest of the lighting work.
Start to finish from exploring failed ideas to setup: 75 mins

Render time : 16 seconds. (2000 by 960 pixels)

Image Attachments
Doc1.jpgDoc1nopost.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 08 August 2013 04:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-28
Varsel - 08 August 2013 02:21 AM

So I dug up an old picture from the bottom of my harddrive, and maybe this can be a base to work on.

nice start Varsel smile

Signature 

Posted: 08 August 2013 05:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6095
Joined  2007-12-04

Killer pun, my friend! Nice image, too!

head wax - 08 August 2013 03:55 AM

“Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

― John Milton, Paradise Lost

Beautiful! Is that AnyFX filter in Dogwaffle?
Regardless, Great images - both.

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 08 August 2013 08:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  217
Joined  2006-08-27
head wax - 07 August 2013 09:05 PM

FANTASTIC Antara!

Sorry for shouting smile
You did a wonderful job. smile smile
You are making my poor efforts look poor indeed, smile

It should be a great challenge, in fact I am sure it will be.
smile

thanks so much for taking the helm with such a sure and steady hand!

I have a great teacher helping me every step of the way. grin

it’s pretty much a case where anything i do right is thanks to you and all mistakes are my own. smile

Salem2007 - 07 August 2013 10:55 PM

The 3 modified or created items is stumping me—-but I’m going to give it a try.  Would using the replicator and particle emitter only qualify?

I hope you can find 3 modifications or creations to include in your image.
The thing about particle emitters and replicators is as follows: if you just use a preset straight out of the box (without editing any of the parameters), then it will NOT qualify. Same as using unmodified plant presets will not qualify.

But, deeper modifications of the base presets are eligible for the 3 item requirement. Examples:

Particle emitter: if you play with the parameters of the particle emitter or use it with your own specially created shader then it qualifies.
Replicators: If you use the replicator to create an appearance of a new shape/object then it qualifies (i.e creating a mace by replicating a cone/pyramid onto a sphere). When you use specially created distribution maps (painted or procedural) for surface replicators,  it qualifies. When you use multiple grid replicators to create an interestingly shaped formation, it qualifies, but counts as a single item.

Does this help?

If you get stuck not knowing what modifications to add, I’d be happy to help with ideas. smile I hope you’ll enjoy this challenge.

Great start! I can’t wait to see what you are going to do with this theme.

And the cow should make Sockratease very happy. wink

But just as a clarification for others: the images must be specially created for the challenge. So while it’s OK to base them on a scene you’ve started earlier, it’s NOT OK to just submit something that has been done before this challenge.

Philemo - 08 August 2013 03:20 AM

Hi Antara,

I love the theme you’ve chosen.
It’s very inspiring and my main problem will be to limit myself to 1 or maybe 2 ideas.

Thank you for hosting this challenge

Thank you! smile Head Wax helped, so I don’t deserve all the credit.
I look forward to your WIP’s and entries.

Feel free to play with ideas in this thread and just choose the best 2 for final entries. This is one of the main purposes of this WIP thread: to be the playground for thematic and technical ideas.

Signature 

My Showcase at Carrara Cafe

Posted: 08 August 2013 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2005-04-23

Hi I will entry with YAToon.

There is one question.

Reducing by rendering with the larger size means the post work?
(Because it is an effective means in Toon rendering)

YAToon Are you sure you want included in the item was modified significantly or created, in Carrara? (This is a joke, I hope you do not mind)

Posted: 08 August 2013 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-08-27
zgock - 08 August 2013 08:20 AM

Hi I will entry with YAToon.

There is one question.

Reducing by rendering with the larger size means the post work?
(Because it is an effective means in Toon rendering)

YAToon Are you sure you want included in the item was modified significantly or created, in Carrara? (This is a joke, I hope you do not mind)

Yes!!! I was hoping you would! You’ve just made me very very happy. (There used to be a happy dance smiley. I really need it right now..)

I actually wanted to make YAToon the technical requirement for this challenge, but I thought it would be too restrictive for people who are not used to rendering in anime styles. So I gave up on that idea long face .

But I can’t wait to see your entries. smile

Size changes: If the image is the same and just the size is reduced/increased, then I would not consider it post work. A lot of size reduction is done for forum rules compliance and for web-speed purposes, so it’s not really done for artistic reasons.

However, if you will be changing the size because it makes the plug-in effects look better/more effective, please mention it in your description.

Signature 

Posted: 08 August 2013 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2004-11-07

Wip it. M4 and the coronet from the carrara objects folder.

Image Attachments
contwip1.jpg

Posted: 08 August 2013 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  884
Joined  2003-10-09

I think I’d like to experiment with non-photorealistic, but also non-toon.  Perhaps something along the lines of the attached image of St Michael and Lucifer.  Any pointers to tutorials, etc. in addition to the following at carrara cafe?

http://carraracafe.com/non-photorealistic-rendering-npr/

edit - the image is not a WIP, it is a classic found at
http://www.eugenedelacroix.org/St-Michael-defeats-the-Devil.html

Image Attachments
micheal_paradise_lost.jpg

Posted: 08 August 2013 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-08-27
diomede64 - 08 August 2013 03:34 PM

I think I’d like to experiment with non-photorealistic, but also non-toon.  Perhaps something along the lines of the attached image of St Michael and Lucifer.  Any pointers to tutorials, etc. in addition to the following at carrara cafe?

http://carraracafe.com/non-photorealistic-rendering-npr/

edit - the image is not a WIP, it is a classic found at
http://www.eugenedelacroix.org/St-Michael-defeats-the-Devil.html

I think it’s a brilliant idea. And I think Carrara’s NPR is one of its least explored features, so I look forward to watching your progress with this. If you can, please share as you learn more about it.

The only non-photorealistic rendering I ever tried was toon usin YAToon and ToonPro plug-ins, thus I can’t offer much help, but thank you for posting the tutorial link here, even from this basic tutorial, the NPR engine looks fascinating.

Signature 

Posted: 08 August 2013 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  658
Joined  2006-09-30

I love the NPR Engine!

Here’s a couple from a hopefully longer series called “Kamen Rider Gets A New Ride”  (Toldja I liked Japanese Monster stuff!)

The real goal started an effort to make NPR Fire. 

Image Attachments
cr2.pngrider2.jpg
 Signature 

MOO!

Posted: 08 August 2013 05:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  328
Joined  2007-12-18

I just wanted to say the theme for this contest seems really fun, a lot of potential for interpretation as to what you consider paradise to be.  Also a lot of potential use for Carrara’s plant features if you ask me, maybe I’m the only one that considers paradise to be full of trees and plants <_<

Anyway, I’m sorry to the winners of the last round for not having prizes out yet, I was a bit confused as to whether or not I was handing them out.  I’ve got quite a bit going on right now so please give me some time to get things uploaded and sorted (that Monterey set in particular will take some time to get up lol).

2 of 29