Carrara Challenge 3: PARADISE LOST AND FOUND. Work In Progress (WIP) thread.
We are going into the third round of the challenge and I would like to thank everyone who participated and showed interest in the previous ones. I hope these challenges keep getting bigger. This time around I have the honour of hosting the challenge and I'll be here to answer any questions you have about the challenge and the rules.
PARADISE LOST AND FOUND
I am leaving the interpretation wide open. It can be a subset "Paradise Lost" or "Paradise Found" or even "Paradise: Lost and Found [department]". And any other permutation you can think of. If in doubt whether your interpretation still fits the theme, please ask, but as a general rule, inventive or humorous interpretations of the theme are very welcome.
The aim is to have fun with the theme, while learning Carrara and showing off your artistic and Carrara skills.
DAZ has been very generous in encouraging these Carrara Challenges and has offered to support us once a month!
DAZ is donating:
Ist Place: a $50 coupon
2nd Place will win a $30 coupon
3rd Place wins a $15 coupon
In addition the Honorable Mention will receive a $5 coupon code.
Please note that the coupons are for DAZ3D items.
I am happy to introduce our very generous PA sponsor for this month: Amazing long-time Carrara-supporting artist Age of Armour is kindly donating the following prizes:
The winners will get to choose items from Age of Armour store at DAZ
Ist Place: 3 items
2nd Place: 2 items
3rd Place: 1 item
Age of Armour products are always creative, well thought through and perfectly crafted with extreme attention to detail. And now, thanks to his kind support of our cause and challenge, we have such amazing prizes to offer!
Thank you Age of Armour!
DEADLINE: 11:59 PM UTAH Time on September 7th 2013 Please see rules for details.
- All renders must be done in Carrara. *
- Artists can post up to 2 (two) entries.
- At least 1 (one) WIP image must be posted in this WIP thread. (Could be a pre-render screen grab of the
- Content use is allowed and welcome, but MUST be credited.
- Restriction: At least 3 (three) items in the scene must be created OR significantly modified in Carrara. **
- Postwork is allowed, but if you use postwork, the raw render(s) that went into your postworked image MUST be posted in this WIP thread.
- The final entry must be submitted with proper description into the "Challenge Entries" thread, which will be open a week before the contest closes. ***
- All entries must be submitted before 11:59 PM UTAH Time on September 7th 2013
- The voting will run from September 8th to the end of the day (Utah time) September 14th, and winners will be decided on September 15th. ****
- The images must be specially created for this challenge and previously unpublished.
* In the spirit of exploring Carrara's full potential, plug-in use IS allowed. Therefore using the LuxRenderer plug-in might result in the actual render being created by the LuxRenderer. However, in this case a WIP must be posted in the WIP thread, showing the scene set-up inside Carrara, and a description of how the LuxRendered was set up MUST be included.
** Examples of acceptable modifications for the 3 items requirement:
- Morphing a model beyond recognition or cutting parts of it and using them for something completely different.
- Covering something with fur or creating dynamic hair for it.
- Rigging and posing using that rig
- Altering or creating UV-maps. Or creating special shaders or textures.
- Using 3D-paint feature to texture the object or create shaders, shader masks, distribution maps, etc.
- Creating unique variations of things like plants, oceans, particle generators, terrains, clouds etc.
- Inventive use of replicators. (I.e. just replicating an object doesn’t count, but creating new shapes using replicated objects does, or using distribution maps or nested replicators to create environments or interesting concepts would also count.)
- and of course anything that’s modelled in Carrara automatically qualifies.
If you are not sure whether your modification qualifies, please ask in this thread.
The purpose of this "significant modification" clause is to encourage people who are new to Carrara and who heavily rely on content use to explore Carrara's other features and find new Carrara-provided ways of working with the content.
*** If you think you will be busy or might not be available to post your final entry once the final Entry thread is open, feel free to post your final image in the WIP thread, indicating that it IS your final entry and providing all the necessary information:
- 3 original or modified items with notes on creation/modification process,
- Content credits and
- General process description
Then, when the entry thread is open, I will post your image there and give it an entry number.
I am going to allow anonymous votes, but I am going to exclude my own images from being eligible to acquire anonymous votes. If we can find an objective non-participating volunteer to collect them, it would be even better.
This is a community where people have developed friendships and I think having an anonymity option might actually encourage fairness: people would be able to vote based on objective preference and not be afraid to offend their friends by voting for others.
I would also like to invite a greater general public into the voting process to show off Carrara to a greater audience. Therefore, once the voting opens, I will post in The Commons and on other forums whenever allowed.
LINKS of INTEREST
Current Sponsor Age of Armour's store: http://www.daz3d.com/age-of-armour
Previous Sponsor DimensionTheory’s store: http://www.daz3d.com/dimensiontheory
Previous Sponsor Dartanbeck’s store: http://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=dartanbeck&x=0&y=0
DAZ Time UTAH: http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_US-UT.aspx