Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
What’s the best possible Windows set up for Daz ?
Posted: 22 June 2012 03:07 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2012-06-03

As mine’s getting a bit old and slow anyway does anyone know what is currently the best possible Windows set up for Daz ? The fastest and most efficient etc. etc. long term, and how to keep it that way with periodic update downloads without having to worry about buying another for quite a while ?

Signature 

“Those curious locks so aptly twin’d,
Whose every hair a soul doth bind.”
Thomas Carew 1595 ~ 1640

Posted: 22 June 2012 04:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14323
Joined  2003-10-09

You mean which version of Windows? 7 is current and seems good, though I didn’t do a sde-by-side comparison with XP. If you do complex scenes it’s certainly worth having the 64 bit version, assuming you have enough RAM to take advantage of it.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 22 June 2012 05:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1828
Joined  2004-08-24

HI Marcuse smile

As Richard mentioned, RAM is an important factor in how your system performs. Unfortunately, 32-bit processors and programs can only access up to 3GB or Ram.

When you move up to a 64-Bit processor, with a 64-bit Operating system, like Windows7, then you can run 64-bit Programs, as well as still running all your older 32-bit programs.

A 64-bit system can handle much more ram, and 64-bit programs can take advantage of that.

Hope some of that makes sense smile

Posted: 22 June 2012 05:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-06-03

(To Richard.) Not sure about any of it really as there are so many versions of Windows and though I don’t really understand how it works, as it’s likely there will be complex scenes and eventually animations the more RAM it’s possible to have presumably the merrier ?

Although a non techie (probably always will be) and still a complete beginner to Daz, the reason for asking is as I’ve done quite a lot of freehand pencil artwork in the past, I’m interested in seeing how much it could improve my existing drawing skills and techniques. As effectively you’re not only using the characters like the old wooden bending with wires mannequins, but each stage of the picture as an ongoing draft sketch which I think would be much quicker than yet another time consuming sketch with many confusing lines and rubbing outs everywhere. On the other hand trying to get towards the finished pictures I’ve already got in my mind with Daz is likely to take far longer if the equipment is slow or too old. At the moment I’ve several completed sketches ready for when I’ve got the Daz basics understood, so why I’m wondering now about the best computer equipment before I get too involved. Equally whether there’s really any need to change from what I’ve got if the difference is likely to be marginal ?

Incidentally would it be possible to convert my 32 bit to 64 bit ?

Signature 

Thomas Carew 1595 ~ 1640

Posted: 22 June 2012 06:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-06-03
3DAGE - 22 June 2012 05:26 AM

HI Marcuse smile

As Richard mentioned, RAM is an important factor in how your system performs. Unfortunately, 32-bit processors and programs can only access up to 3GB or Ram.

When you move up to a 64-Bit processor, with a 64-bit Operating system, like Windows7, then you can run 64-bit Programs, as well as still running all your older 32-bit programs.

A 64-bit system can handle much more ram, and 64-bit programs can take advantage of that.

Hope some of that makes sense smile

Ah we crossed in the post and you’ve answered my question thanks ! So how much RAM can a 64 bit take ?

Signature 

Thomas Carew 1595 ~ 1640

Posted: 22 June 2012 06:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  368
Joined  2004-04-07

Hi Marcuse

I’m running win7 with 8GB and the cheapest 6 core I could find.

It can just about manage 101 Genesii (?) cheese

Signature 

regards
prixat

Posted: 22 June 2012 06:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14323
Joined  2003-10-09

Windows 7 Home Premium will use up 16GB
Windows 7 Professional will use up 192GB, as I recall

The only other big difference between Home Premium and Professional is that Pro will back up to a network location, while Home will back up only to a local drive - but if you have a NAS or the like you probably got some kind of back up software with that.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 22 June 2012 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-24

HI Marcuse smile

The amount of Ram your system can take depends on the motherboard, and how many ram slot’s it has, and what the maximum ram for those slots are.

The motherboard (main circuit board) will have a Maximum amount of ram it can handle, many new motherboards can have 64GB or ram , or more!
although, around 4, or 8 GB is “normal”. the more you have, the more you can do.

The amount of ram you need also depends on what you want to do, and the program you choose to do it with.

For example:,
to take Prixats example of having 8GB and being able to have 101 genesis figures loaded in Daz Studio,..

Daz Carrara can use replicators to make that into hundreds of thousands without using more ram ..
quick example..
using three genesis figures and two of the Daz Millennium horse.  3500 Anubis warriors smile
and that’s on a system with only 4Gb

Image Attachments
anubises.jpg

Posted: 22 June 2012 07:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1281
Joined  2008-03-30
prixat - 22 June 2012 06:49 AM

Hi Marcuse

I’m running win7 with 8GB and the cheapest 6 core I could find.

It can just about manage 101 Genesii (?) cheese

I’m in the market for a new board and chip, current one only supports 4GB Ram, what did you go with please?

Signature 

[Join the little green box collection party!]
Ianz Place
Daz 3D Documentation
Daz 3D on YouTube
Daz 3D Forum Archive

Posted: 22 June 2012 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-06-03
3DAGE - 22 June 2012 07:19 AM

HI Marcuse smile

The amount of Ram your system can take depends on the motherboard, and how many ram slot’s it has, and what the maximum ram for those slots are.

The motherboard (main circuit board) will have a Maximum amount of ram it can handle, many new motherboards can have 64GB or ram , or more!
although, around 4, or 8 GB is “normal”. the more you have, the more you can do.

The amount of ram you need also depends on what you want to do, and the program you choose to do it with.

For example:,
to take Prixats example of having 8GB and being able to have 101 genesis figures loaded in Daz Studio,..

Daz Carrara can use replicators to make that into hundreds of thousands without using more ram ..
quick example..
using three genesis figures and two of the Daz Millennium horse.  3500 Anubis warriors smile
and that’s on a system with only 4Gb

Thank you I think I follow ! So would having more RAM mean quicker test results of say different facial expressions etc. as I often take ages to get it exactly right when drawing ! One of the many reasons why I’m interested to try Daz.

Not my work but for example….

Image Attachments
Facial_expressions.JPG
 Signature 

Thomas Carew 1595 ~ 1640

Posted: 22 June 2012 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-24

Hi smile

Different facial expressions should be a matter of applying a Pre-set expression, and adjusting it, or adjusting the individual facial morphs in the figure, and both of those should happen in near real time, while you’re working.

Rendering the results as an image, depends on the rendering and lighting settings you’re using, but both of these should be possible on your current system.

Where you really need more power is if you have Multiple figures in a scene, complex lighting, complex sets / scenery, and basically lot’s of stuff to calculate.
also,  high quality render settings will take longer to render than lower “draft” rendering, but in Daz Studio, you have a pretty decent “preview of what you’re doing while you’re doing it.

smile

Posted: 22 June 2012 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

At this time I’m running a Win 7 64 bit system with 8 Gb ram. I have not hit any limits in DS4Pro 64 bit yet, it handles any scene I throw at it without a hicup. I have done one scene with a stonemason set and 14 posed and clothed genesis’s with UE lighting and it only pushed my ram to a little over half used. It saved and rendered just fine. The render time was a little high but that was more my settings than anything.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 22 June 2012 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-06-03
3DAGE - 22 June 2012 10:56 AM

Hi smile

Different facial expressions should be a matter of applying a Pre-set expression, and adjusting it, or adjusting the individual facial morphs in the figure, and both of those should happen in near real time, while you’re working.

Rendering the results as an image, depends on the rendering and lighting settings you’re using, but both of these should be possible on your current system.

Where you really need more power is if you have Multiple figures in a scene, complex lighting, complex sets / scenery, and basically lot’s of stuff to calculate.
also,  high quality render settings will take longer to render than lower “draft” rendering, but in Daz Studio, you have a pretty decent “preview of what you’re doing while you’re doing it.

smile

Thanks yes I’d already explored this very interesting mutiple expression feature so this is extremely helpful info as it clearly separates low load (little waiting) and high. Fortunately most of what I need will probably be low or I can arrange it to be for the time being. Also I assume it’s possible to export the final Daz scene into a Bryce landscape afterwards ?

Btw just to make sure would these be my correct computer RAM details below ? If it is just 768mb of RAM and as I’ve no idea about computers is this something that can be downloaded or do I have to take it into a local computer store to have it upgraded, hopefully while I wait ?

Thanks again a lot clearer about this side of things now - I hope ! smile

Image Attachments
Current_Window_XP_details.JPG
 Signature 

Thomas Carew 1595 ~ 1640

Posted: 22 June 2012 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-06-03
Jaderail - 22 June 2012 11:13 AM

At this time I’m running a Win 7 64 bit system with 8 Gb ram. I have not hit any limits in DS4Pro 64 bit yet, it handles any scene I throw at it without a hicup. I have done one scene with a stonemason set and 14 posed and clothed genesis’s with UE lighting and it only pushed my ram to a little over half used. It saved and rendered just fine. The render time was a little high but that was more my settings than anything.

Thanks now it’s all starting to make some sense ! Very useful info too as this sort of set up sounds what I’ll probably need eventually too, but whilst I’m still at the beginner stage (apart from a bit more RAM ?) I should be ok for a while I hope. Are there any big differences between XP and Windows 7 ?

Thanks again !! wink

Signature 

Thomas Carew 1595 ~ 1640

Posted: 22 June 2012 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

Most standard XP system’s that were sold were 32 bit, all Win 7 systems are 64 bit. I’m on Win 7 Home Premium so I’m limited to 16 Gb of ram but my 8 Gb has done me so far. As far as working differently, I adapted very easily. 32 bit systems are limited by the OS as to how much Ram they will use normaily 2 to 3 Gb, 64 bit systems have limits but those are caused by the hardware and Software. If you have the cash as said before Win7 can go as high as the 100 Gb’s of ram if the system and OS are the right setup.
XP does come in a 64 bit version but I’m not familer with it, mine was 32 bit. I do know that DS4Pro works best in a 64 bit system with a minimum of 4 Gb of ram.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 22 June 2012 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-06-03

Very helpful thanks best to get this side sorted out first.

Btw just to make sure would these be my correct computer RAM details below ? If it is just 768mb of RAM and as I’ve no idea about computers is this something that can be downloaded or do I have to take it into a local computer store to have it upgraded, hopefully while I wait ?

Image Attachments
Current_Window_XP_details.JPG
 Signature 

Thomas Carew 1595 ~ 1640

1 of 3